The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

picked up a ggsx for $275

it runs but is missing 4th gear and all the motor mounts are shot and either the transmission or rear diff is making a little noise. I bought it for a top gear type rally challenge and my budget is $300 so i need to figure out a few cheap mods. it has an aftermarket stereo in it which i think i can resell for $100 to get a little more money for it but will i be able to run the 4 bolt rear diff and are there any other cheap mods i can do to boost power output?

jared50438

remove cat, chop intake, adjust timing and do some good old fashioned tlc, plugs, oil change, and gut it out. would be a good start.

DSMTurbo2

If you are not going to be going for crazy power.. don't mess with the 4-bolt... save a little weight.
Hack air can and run a K&n is usually good for 11hp on a turbo engine... should be some improvement.
Add heater ducting and shrouding to bring in ambient air.
Carefully play with ignition timing.
Shave the head to boost CR
Make sure you have a factory B cam in on the exhaust side.
Reduce mass (duh)

What are your regulations like?

Erik

1941Galant

The final drive on the GGSX is 5.208, while the 1g (4 bolt) is 4.929, so unless you are swapping in a GVR4/1g dsm trans with the 4.929 final drive, do not put the 4 bolt in.

1990ggsxnj

The K&N won't get you much on an N/a but cutting the aircan would do a better job at it. If you're going to be rallying you may want to stick with a paper filter anyways, depending on what kind of dirt you'll be flinging. K&N's don't filter as well (which is why they flow better). 1941 galant is correct in the final drive, don't think about swapping anything within the driveline on a budget. NOS I would stay away from. The GGSX tranny is not very strong and will give you problems in no time.

Last edited:

wow that awesome! you should be able to sell off interior bits if you can have a stripped car. the moldings will fetch a nice some as well. Some people on here are looking for the cloth seats. what injectors do those have? if not 450c... you can get those cheap and a turbo fuel pump rewired for your advanced timing!

yeah my budget is only $300 so i only have $25 left for "performance" upgrades not including basic maintenance things like plugs fluids and replacing the motor mounts that are destroyed. This is just a for fun rally with a few friends the competition so far is between my ggsx, a 91 subaru legacy sedan, and a 93 infinity m30. All cars are on the same budget and all three cars cost between 260 and 300 so far. Im trying to sell my cd player in the car so i can afford some rally tires and i was thinking about welding the rear diff but im pretty certain that will only destroy the center coupling faster. This car was not taken care of at all by the previous owner so it has a few interesting issues with bushings and what not being worn out and i dont think it has been washed since the clinton administration.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts