The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

JDM rear bumpers

turbowop

So I ordered another one of these things for 1051. Usually I have good luck with Everspring Sports on Ebay taking only around four days to get the item to me, but DHL fucked up and mislabeled the bumper and it took 3.5 weeks. It didn't help that they don't have an office locally anymore and had to contract out a trucking company once it got to the states, but first it sat in flipping Canada for five days until they realized they made a label mistake after I called asking where the f*** my package was. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Anyway, this is the second rear bumper I've purchased from overseas and holy f*** are these things warped when they arrive. The rear bumpers are super flimsy at the bottom without the support from being mounted to the car so after they package them up and they sit for a while, they retain that shape when they finally arrive. Everspring says you just have to mount them to the car to regain their original shape, but I end up having to use a heat gun on it to soften it up first. I'd like to hear from others that have JDM rear bumpers how theirs looked when they got them?

I decided to paint this one KG like my other one that's on 503 and whichever one looks better overall, I'll have professionally painted for 1051 and the other I'll keep on 503 since I'm not that worried about paint aesthetics on that car.

I took some pics to show you guys how easy it can be to paint them yourselves if not too worried about perfection.

This is what it looks like *after* the heat gun. It was actually warped worse when I unpackaged it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Setup a makeshift stand and go to town with a scotchbrite pad for a bit. I only spent about half hour on this thing. I didn't worry about super deep scratches, I just wanted a good surface for paint to bite into. You could spend more time and use some filler if necessary to smooth out any larger imperfections. I also masked off the chrome strip just in case this one gets used on 503. Whatever bumper goes on 1051 gets a brand new strip...

Have the local paint supply place mix up some KG in a couple of spray cans...

Spray and let dry...

Rattle cans actually turn out okay when put next to the rest of the car that has 17 year old paint. Considering how horrible the bumper looked when I first got it, it looks pretty good now for just a little time and a few dollars spent on custom spray cans.

I actually am putting this one on 503 because it has a couple of warps that the other one doesn't have, but check out how far the exhaust sticks out with one of these bumpers mounted. Shows just how much longer the USDM bumper is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek3.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I'll be having Andre weld up a new dual tip muffler to fit this bumper. Unless somebody wants to buy my catback system so I can buy a new dual tip JDM one from CMPE. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hs.gif I'm gonna drop it off at the bodyshop on Monday to have sprayed. Should turn out nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

bazeng

Wow that is bent!!

It pretty common though, even with my bumpers (directly off JAP cars), they are usually slightly bent.

Your car is looking good mate!

toybreaker

iconoclast
Looks pretty damn good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Do they put a flex agent in the paint when they mix it for spray cans?

I did something similiar for the front bumper/snow plow on my gsx. It looked perfect until winter, and then it spider cracked everywhere that it pushed snow. I asked my paint guys what happened, and after they looked at it, they mixed me a new batch with a flex agent. It stayed very nice for ten years.( at least as nice as something that pushes two feet of snow can look. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

That was interesting, becuase they said if I didn't remove the factory paint, a flex agent wouldn't be needed. I followed their directions, and used scotch brite, and a paint prep/adhesion promoter product they recomended. After seeing the results of one winter season, they decided a flex agent would be helpfull, and mixed it up no charge.

Probably doesn't matter so much on a rear bumper, just thought I'd throw my experience out there, in case somebody tried your technique on a front bumper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am curious about one thing though, where's the dogs?

Everybody knows it's not done if there's not at least a few dog furrs in the mix. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

turbowop

Dogs were inside. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif When using the sprayer nozzle on the hose, Kenzie freaks out and chases the water spray, so I have to keep them in the house while I'm working on sanding the bumper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hs.gif

This is what Kenzie does when I break out the hose. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowrofl.gif

They didn't mix in any flex agent that I know of. I've also heard from my bodyshop guys that it's not needed unless you take it all the way back down to the urethane. At that point, adhesion promoter and flex agent would be needed. I guess how well the paint adheres is all based on the coat that is sprayed directly on the urethane. I did the same for the front bumper on 503 and other than some rock chips from last ski season, the paint still looks good.

kartorium

^ Thats what I was wondering also....did you get a flex agent in it? Not to big of a deal now, but if you have to respray ever, make sure to get that mixed in.

Toybreaker, I was thinking about building a front lip spoiler for my subaru this year that essentially plows snow with the front bumper. The car does great in snow until too much goes underneath and I try to change directions, then the thing high centers. Most of the time it only happens in heavier snow, but I'm thinking a nice big home depot front air dam would help solve that. Have you ever done this or thought maybe it would work?

For my JDM rear it was tweaked too. I undid all the brackets and supports and let it sit flat for a day in the GA sun. Put the brackets back on and it straightened out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I dropped it off at paint for the whole car to get done and hopefully it stayed true. I'm checking on it today.

Question for you though, if you dont care about the paint aesthestics on 503, then why are you buying jdm bumpers for it anyway? lol

turbowop

I still care about how the car looks as a whole, and I like the JDM bumpers waaaaaay better. I'm just not worried about perfect paint on the car since I use it for skiing and rock chips and scratches are inevitable.

GVR4ZUM

That looks pretty good. 1051 still looks nice even without the rear bumper, it looks mean. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting kartorium:

Toybreaker, I was thinking about building a front lip spoiler for my subaru this year that essentially plows snow with the front bumper. The car does great in snow until too much goes underneath and I try to change directions, then the thing high centers. Most of the time it only happens in heavier snow, but I'm thinking a nice big home depot front air dam would help solve that. Have you ever done this or thought maybe it would work?

I don't want to hijack Mark's thread anymore than I already have, ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif ) but you raise an interesting question. I know you and Mark see some serious snow work every year, and I'd be curious on hearing you guy's take on winter car prep.

Let's start a new thread, and we can discuss the particulars of using awd cars in deep snow there. Just having awd doesn't mean sh*t if the cars pack up underneath.

Somewhat on topic.

Usdm Gluteous maximus

Me no likey

I can haz jdm goodness?

Damn, Mark, that jdm set-up you put together really looks clean.

I'm going to have to seriously consider using a jdm unit on my car now.

Thanks, ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/asshole , now I gotta come up with the coin for that too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

bazeng

That is crazy!

Does the car get damaged with that snow/weight?

We don't have that problem here in AUSTRALIA. The worst is a bit of frost on the windscreen that requires water to melt off.... LOL

turbowop

It can be a pain in the ass, but it doesn't really hurt the car when it's buried like that. Snow dumps like that mean awesome skiing, so I welcome it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

slugsgomoo

my jdm rear actually has a tweak on the left side (not on the actual rear of the bumper) that i'm hoping heat & clamping pressure will take out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek3x.gif

looks pretty good mark, glad to see 1051 finally get rid of that gargantuan us rear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

deez

I got one from Everspring as well, and it showed up in very nice shape. There was one spot on the underside where it attaches that was warped slightly, and still is, but when attached it straightened out good enough for me.
And your dog needs help....

turbowop

Quoting slugsgomoo:

looks pretty good mark, glad to see 1051 finally get rid of that gargantuan us rear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

It's the weight that's hard to believe. I think the car loses like 100lbs if you swap both front and rear to JDM. Hauling this thing around the garage is almost as bad as moving a transmission around.

slugsgomoo

yeah, both the front & rear and the projector fogs weigh less than the factory USDM rear bumper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowrofl.gif

stealthtt24

Figured I was chime in with my experience. I purchased a jdm rear bumper in "not bad" condition from everspring sports. The communication was great. Knocked off $100 off shipping since I told them they could "fold" the bumper. Got me a tracking number and once it came I let it sit out in the sun for a few days. Only paid $65 for the bumper itself since it has a small tear, but im getting it painted anyways. Pics are in my build thread but I would buy from them again. Total price paid shipped, $264.

nickbuilt

i bought my front and rear bumper from everspring sports off ebay and so did my cousin (jordanvr4) well anyway both of our bumpers came folded like pancakes and had damage also cracks and tears and we had to bring them to the bodyshop to have them professionally fixed but basically for a car that 20-21 years old and for jdm parts that are becoming more and more harder to find what do you expect and there pricing is pretty fair and they got it from there headquarters in malaysia to nyc in less than a week in all 4 instances so on a scale of 1 to 10 i would say there about an 8.5!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-nick

mitsuturbo

See? Pancakes suck.. nobody wants anyting folded like pancakes, or flattened like a pancake.

f*** pancakes. f*** THEM!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned