The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need new shammy

Terry Posten

I bought a new one from Wal-Mart (I know, first mistake) and it is basically a side of hide that after 1 month stinks (yes, I stored it right) and never really was any good.

It was very thin.

My old shammy was awesome. About 1/8" thick, very absorbent and lasted for 5 years (but I can't find another one like it.

I need one BAD.

What/where should I look?

ktmrider

I've had surprisingly good results with the synthetic models.
Hold up well, no mold/mildew buildup, and if you store them semi-wet they stay quite supple.

JNR

I used to use shammies for I don't know how many years, but recently started using microfiber towels instead and couldn't be happier. Just get a quality large one and another as a backup is nice. That and soft water (not sure how your area fares, but we have to have a culligan system) make it easy to dry.

turbowop

I wish I knew the brand name of mine, but can't think of it. I used to get them when I detailed cars 14 years ago. Whenever I wear one out, I go down to the local body shop and ask the guys I know if I can steal one of their old ones since it's the same brand and they usually hook me up. I'll have to go down and ask them what brand it is. It's a large rectangle, synthetic that works flipping amazing. I've never found anything that can replace it at a normal store.

Terry Posten

Yeah, my old (good) one is a synthetic towel. Get that name Wop.

Thanks.

Romanova

Remember with any towel that touches the exterior of your car... if you drop it on the ground it's no good until you wash it. Don't wanna get sh*t on it and smear it all over the clear coat... aka, rocks and sh*t.

4Grim

I have been using The Absorber for almost a decade now and i believe the best shammy that I have ever used. It does work very well. The one I have right now is about 5 years old and its starting to show signs that I need to replace it sometime but still does the job effortlessly. The only bad is that they tend to stink if you don't put it in the washer once in awhile, but other than that it awsome.

My fiance did buy me a "Sham-Wow" shammy last week because I made a comment if it really works. It was like $6 at walmart so she bought it for me. I wasn't planning to buy it, but she says well try it to see if it works...it was only $6. So I will see tomorrow when I was her Endeavor to see if its what its all cracked up to be.

Romanova

Of course, with a proper wax or sealant on your vehicle, most of the water from a car wash should bead straight off the vehicle... fyi.

I love the synthetic chamois, you can get them at most dealers in the parts deepartment. They are the typical yellowish tan color and are smooth at first but after using them for a while they kinda start to ball up and get tattered as they wear. Don't know what theyre called but just hit up the local dealer.

turbowop

Quoting iceman69510:
Enjoy it while you can.

Car washing

WTF? Srsly?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowrofl.gif

They can't concentrate efforts somewhere else for salmon conservation? Most people use drive through and self service car washes anyway. This won't make a bit of difference considering the few that was their cars in their driveway, let alone other things that are waaaaaay more harmful to "ZOMG SAVE THE FISHS". This is really going to hurt cheer leading teams that hold car washes in bikinis at the local Autozone in hopes to raise money for their teams. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I guess it's a good thing I wash my cars at the nearest local self serve carwash. I just bring my own bucket and sponge.

Last edited:

4Grim

Quoting iceman69510:
Enjoy it while you can.

Car washing

WTF? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif If you can't wash your car on the driveway....whats stopping people when they start washing their cars on the lawn?

Last edited:

Terry Posten

My driveway is beside and behind my house. The pavement slopes away from the street and angles to the property line and into the easement.

No violations here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But it would not stop me anyway.

Romanova

Quoting blacksheep:
Most guys on s2k board use this thing and recommend it over shammy's...

click

Perfect! Those work soooo well.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts