The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I dont want my sunroof...

Has anyone ever removed there sunroof and covered it or whatever. Just thinking of lightening the car up a bit.

Oh man. There are people who would LOVE a sunroof, but don't have one.... And, it's far easier to remove one, than to install one. Anywaw, if you want to reduce weight, just delete the motor and everything. Those things weigh quite something. Your sunroof itself doesn't weigh much.

NateCrisman

I'm in the same boat. I'm in the middle of parting out #931 that is a sunroof car, and I plan to experiment a bit on that chassis in order to remove some weight by converting the sunroof into something like 1G DSM's have:

removable - put it in the trunk
simple pop up hinge & jam lock.

Id like to remove all the sliding rail mechanicals and the electrics for the motor.

Il make a post as soon as I have some time to remove everything from the parts car and take a look and see what's possible and get some weights.

I'm sorry guys, but aren't a few of you going totally nuts in reducing weight on street cars?
Instead of removing sliding rail mechanicals from a sunroof, wich weigh almost nothing, the motor is the only seriously heavy thing, you'd better get some extra hp out of your engine...

Not trying to offend anyone of you guys, it are just my 0.02$

Hondasi88

I was gonna say you guys go HARD with weight reduction! I would kill for a sunroof.......

Ian M

The middle section of the roof is a seperate panel,held in by spot welds on the sides under the plasic strips on the roof. It would'nt be a huge job to drill out the spotwelds,remove it,and plug weld in a non-sunroof clip from a parts car. Would look factory,no one would ever know.

The drawback is that the front and rear glass would have to come out,and obviously the section would have to be painted. Plus,the headliner,mirror,and domelights are different if you wanted to run them.

I don't care about the sunroof. Not sure it's worth all the effort just to save 35lbs or so otherwise,but I have to fix the roof on mine,which might require replacing the roof. Unfortunately,my parts car I got the donor from is sunroof or otherwise my car would be non-sunroof before it's over.

Last edited:

Nate

You'd probably be reducing weight, and increasing headaches - unless you're willing to weld in a panel, everything else will probably eventually leak.

belize1334

Quoting NateCrisman:
I'm in the same boat. I'm in the middle of parting out #931 that is a sunroof car, and I plan to experiment a bit on that chassis in order to remove some weight by converting the sunroof into something like 1G DSM's have:

removable - put it in the trunk
simple pop up hinge & jam lock.

Id like to remove all the sliding rail mechanicals and the electrics for the motor.

Il make a post as soon as I have some time to remove everything from the parts car and take a look and see what's possible and get some weights.

I'd be interested to see your results. While the sunroof does put weight in the worst place possible, my main beef is that it creaks and groans everywhere I go and I'm tired of listening to it. If there was a simpler mechanism that did away with most of the little rattling bits I'd be all for it.

GIjoe

dude, id kill for a sunroof.

fivestardsm

I broke the glass in the sunroof a while back and couldnt find a glass so I started to make a sheet blank like my mazda 626 had. I would have to check to see if its still around, but.... It just bolts into the whole after you remove the internals and all.

Possible trade perhaps?

Let me know, and I will look for it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Maybe I should lexan it?? Just a thought...but like Nate said it will prob. end up leaking.

skivittlerjimb

I'm very close to pulling the entirety of the sunroof stuff out of my parts car and would be very willing to sell it along with matching headliner, harness, mirror, dome light assy. etc. to any of you out there craving a sun roof.

Given everything that's up there, getting rid of the sunroof and all associated metal/motor/glass is likely going to be more than 35 lbs., and removed off the very highest area of the car. In competition like autox/hillclimb that I do, this is not trivial. Eventually 280/1000 car will be caged so I've been contemplating the first step being also removing the headliner and all the sun roof stuff out of it and welding in a sheet metal panel and repainting the exterior roof.

Don't get me wrong... I love my sunroof, but for a car that's destined for mostly competitive events, it's not a luxury, it's a liability.

BTW, first gen CRX Si's had the coolest sun roofs ever. Huge, no glass, simple mechanism, didn't leak, and popped up for just venting or up and out of the car for lots of sun and breeze.... man I miss my '87 Si.

-Jim B.
280/1000

After dealing with leaky t-tops and a pop-up/removal sunroof on the first generation MR2s for years, I really appreciate the sunroofs on our Galants. The tilt option is very convenient also. We got turbo cars, let's up the boost a bit instead. We just had some nice weather in the Bay Area recently, the sunroof was real nice to have. Good luck either way.

NateCrisman

The solution isn't always "just turn up the boost" and leave the car heavy. More power + more weight = more breakage. Driveline parts take a double beating from more power and more weight resistance. The engine takes more beating to make more power.

Personally, Id rather have a 2900lb car making 475hp than a 3300lb car making 525, given they would be about the same speed.

Nijasan

Quoting galantgti:
I'm sorry guys, but aren't a few of you going totally nuts in reducing weight on street cars?
Instead of removing sliding rail mechanicals from a sunroof, wich weigh almost nothing, the motor is the only seriously heavy thing, you'd better get some extra hp out of your engine...

Not trying to offend anyone of you guys, it are just my 0.02$

Uhhh have you ever pulled the sunroof sh*t out of one of these cars? It weighs quite a bit. There's an entire sleeve type mechanism up there that you can get rid of. It's quite a bit more than "silding rail mechanicals" TBQH.

I want to ditch mine too. Thing sucks.

If someone comes up with a solution they can come over my house..and have my sunroof.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

gtluke

The motor is weightless compared to the track bullshit that it's in. it's got to be over 40lbs IN THE ROOF. A horrible place for that weight.
I took all that bullshit out and welded brackets in and window welded the glass piece back in place. I like being able to look up and see that my bike is still secure on the roof rack.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned