The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Splurged on a DSS driveshaft

BlitzVR4

Was too lazy to rebuild my drive shaft so I ordered one from DSS yesterday. Look what the UPS man dropped off. Real pretty.

Nartanian

looks real good! How much was it?

JNR

Looks nice! Does it connect to part of the factory shaft, or is there another piece?

14u2nV

^^looks to me that the circle piece in the bottom corner hooks to the d/s on one side and takes the place of the lobro on the other.

JNR

Just looks like the bolt pattern is larger on the aluminum (?) circle...and are there studs on the backside to accept the new DS...maybe I'm missing something; just wondering.

BlitzVR4

The driveshaft actually has an adapter which attaches to the lobro joint. I took a better pic of where it would attach to. Paid 799 plus shipping. It weighs 15 lbs.

14u2nV

It looks good, but why spend $800 on something that really isn't going to affect performance? When people are running stock d/s's and making big power, what is the benefit of having this? A complete rebuild on a stocker is around $150ish~. Is there a real reason you bought it, or just a bling factor type thing?

Last edited:

2of9

nice. I wouldnt mind getting one just because of the BALLA factor! lol. great purchase indeed though. I think putting these kinds of "mods" in your car will surely raise the price of it.

14u2nV

^^^
smiley-laughing025.gif

Last edited:

Brianawd

Quote:
It looks good, but why spend $800 on something that really isn't going to affect performance? When people are running stock d/s's and making big power, what is the benefit of having this? A complete rebuild on a stocker is around $150ish~. Is there a real reason you bought it, or just a bling factor type thing?

Big reason for going to the aluminum shaft is to help with drive train shock. Steel does not twist as much as aluminum. So with the aluminum shaft there is less shock placed on the drive train because the shaft is twisting. The shaft then springs back. It also a lot lighter. Stock first two steel parts are around 22lbs. The aluminum is around 12lbs

BlitzVR4

Quoting 14u2nV:

When I totalled the price of rebuilding the stocker take in account new carrier bearings and all the parts that need replacing and the time it takes to do the project. For me it was more of a convienent purchase. Yeah and also the bling factor.

I really don't have the time. My weekends are filled with projects. We just purchase a new home and doing things around the house takes up so much time.

1941Galant

Rebuilding the stock driveshaft is kind of a pain in the ass, especially when the U-joints don't easily come apart. I think Jeremy (GVR4ZUM) and I spent a good 10 hours rebuilding his last summer, it was our first time though. That Al. shaft looks like a nice peice, I may go that route once I am done with school.

gtluke

steel twists more than aluminum. aluminum has no flex, which is why your springs are always made out of steel.
the reason for the shaft is to reduce rotational weight. it works the same way as an aluminum flywheel. it also saves considerable weight off the car.

vapid

Blitz-

They probably sent you the one they made for me to replace the 2 wrong ones they sent me so far.
Hopefully 3rd times a charm.

JNR

I wouldn't say aluminum has 'no' flex, but when it does, you risk the material cracking. However, being it's a cylinder, it's doubtful. I think the weak link is (and should be) the u-joints, although better have a loop should the shaft come off in front (yikes).

Nice looking piece. A little pricey, of course, but once you factor in the time, sometimes it's worth paying up front. Just curious why they didn't also make the front piece, but it's good to eliminate one of the flex points.

Myles

Quoting 14u2nV:
A complete rebuild on a stocker is around $150ish~.

From who? A new Lobro Joint alone is $200+, Carriers $65~ each, U-joints 40 each.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

14u2nV

You don't have to replace the lobro, when I pulled mine apart I saw no signs of wear. Rebuilding mine, with wire-wheeling/coating and everything else will be well under 10hrs total.

Mark

A lighter driveshaft will also help w/the weight off rotating mass.. I got one on my galant also. Have had 0 problems with it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts