The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1759 got some loving yesterday

iLLeffeKt vr-4

More than a month ago I noticed my FP Green had more play than it should. No smoke, no crazy noises (except this faint metal on metal clicking once in a while) so I decided to send it back to FP to have it rebuilt and while I was in there also went with some new hardware. I like to do stuff once so I don't have to bother every other day with crap.

New SCE copper gasket from FFWD

New ARP high grade 170000 psi alloy in a black oxide finish for turbo to manifold and o2 to exhaust housing also from FFWD. The stainless hardware is for the Tial wastegate.

New DEI Tiatnium manifold wrap which is supposed to be better than the fiberglass one, but even if its not at least I didn't itch like crazy after putting it on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

New -4AN braided stainless steel line from FP and their filter. My old line had a small spot where the stainless was shafing off.

Here's the bad boy after being rebuilt:

Turbo, o2 housing, wastegate and new o2 installed. The exhaust housing looks a bit funny from cleaning it with brake cleaner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Everything in the car. This is my second time wrapping so I'm still practicing so please excuse the shitty job.

Fresh fluid/filter and she's ready to rock and roll:

1badgvr4

Keep checking those arp's. I used copper anti seize and checked them after the first heat cycle, and they still broke.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Thanks. I usually check them again after few heat cycles. I also ran a tap and lubricant through the holes to make sure they're clean and not rust or anything is in there.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Yes I'm happy with it. I've went through quite a few (14b, s16g, b16g, 18g) and drove/rode in cars with evo16g, 50trim, 57trim, gt30, gt35, and few others I don't recall right now and for what I use my car for the Green fits the bill the best.

Brianawd

Next time you use exhaust wrap put it in a bucket of water and get it nice and wet. Makes it much easier to get it tight and keep it that way.

JSchleim18

+1...I was just about to say the same thing. I put it in water first and wrapped my FP manifold. Came out tight

Brianawd

When I did my DNP I wrapped it dry first like 3 or 4 times so that I could get the lengths right and the routing right. Then I put the wrap in water for the final wrap. I think it took me like 3-4hrs

This is how it turned out. Color should have been more bronze

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Yea I'll keep practicing with that wrap. I thought the fiberglass wrap was that you're supposed to get wet and not this one. Oh well, next time. Thanks for the advice guys.

Hksvr4

It's a good thing you wrapped it, because the exhaust side is not a good look.

jepherz

Staff member
Dang, that rebuild made it look brand new. I wonder if sandblasting the exhaust would do the same.

Brian, that wrapping looks sweet!

iLLeffeKt vr-4

The exhaust housing was bead blasted also and the whole turbo looked brand new. However I took the exhaust housing off and ported the wastegate hole some more and then I cleaned it in the parts cleaner and sprayed it with brake cleaner. So that's why it got that white residue on it, but I'm sure it burned off by now. lol

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts