The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need help deciding on intake routing!?!

fivestardsm

Ok, so I have been building my I/C pipes for the last several days when I get the time anyway, and I am in a delima. I have been avoiding relocating the battery to the trunk because I just dont want to.I have been siezing batteries as well, and would like to just do a small battery, but after some review that I have read on the Odyssey 680's and 925's, I have ruled that out and plan on keeping the stock size battery. I have debated this for the last 3 days, and am 99% positive that this is what I want.

So I have chosen to do my stainless in the stock route location. I plan on running a 2g maf, but damnit I am limited on room. I still need to build the air box also, but I cant until I make a definite deccession.

I need to know what people think. I want to be different, and I don't think that this setup has ever been done like this, so that is good. But like I said, I have 1% of doubt LOL, and just need oppinions.

Let me know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

14u2nV

Your not gonna get much airflow right there. Besides being further into the bay, the battery blocks most of your open air. I'd think you could still fit a stock battery down under the washer bottle, on the subframe, with a frame to hold it. There's just about no way I'll keep a battery in the stock location on the galants, but that's my thought.

turbowop

Looks like if you don't move the battery, you'll have to at least move the fuse box, which might be a real pain in the ass. I would just move the battery to the trunk, but I'm biased since both my cars are setup that way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fivestardsm

2 good points. As for the airflow, yes that would be bad, but I will run a ram tunnel between the battery and the fender well. As for moving the fuse box, I have thought about this also and have moved it around to see what it would do and where it would go. So it is a possibilty in the deccession aswell.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Keep them coming guys!!

Thanks.

CarRacer

I'd eliminate a bend if I were you.

Change the pipe right after the cold side makes the turn from vertical to horizontal to a straight pipe. Run at a 45* angle to the fender. That way you leave room for the air filter because you no longer need room for that 90*. It might also make the transition to the oval shape easier as you can lengthen that section.

GVR4_1057

I am also voting for moving the battery and routing the intake pipe where the battery currently is to get good cool air.

G

Staff member
I would definitely move batt to trunk. But if you insist on being different & not taking advantage of the best cold air source you can make it work with the help of a short filter like the hks mushroom type. Or go speed density + hks filter.

fivestardsm

All will be concidered!! CarRacer, I am a little lost on your idea though, would that move the inlet next to the battery? If you could, let me know.

Thanks, and keep the ideas coming!

CarRacer

Here's a piss poor representation of what I was trying to explain. You can eliminate the 90 bend if you just go straight towards the strut tower. That also allows you to shorten the pipe to leave room for the air filter and MAS.

Brianawd

I got one too

Small battery is a great idea. I've been wanting to do it as well, but ended up with just relocating to rear since I had the hardware and cables already from my 1G GSX. Fab work looks pretty good tho!

RedTwo

Why not bend it downwards towards the road? There's miles of space between chassis, the radiator and the gearbox.
Meh, just throwing it out there for conversations sake...

turbowop

I was thinking the same thing, but if his intercooler piping comes in through there space will get pretty tight trying to fit an intake, IC piping, filter, maf, etc.

curtis

Whats wrong with straight over and under the battery. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You can still pie cut the pieces and make and oval but under the battery is fresh air and no bends.

fivestardsm

Quoting Garfield Wright:
Check out the 5th picture in this link. Relocated underhood via a battery kit made & sold by a board member.

This is what I have decide to do. I started out with my battery pile to find out which one would go where depending on the sizes. I had seen others that have done the setup there before, but with the Odessey "small battery kit" I like the way the battery kit looks and the fact that it is very compact, but I have read hundreds of mixed reviews on them, and was a toss up depending on how much you drive, and or let it sit.

This is part of the reason that I am deciding not to go that way with the Odyysey. I drive ALOT. I do not want to be in the middle of no-where and have a design for a battery that you can not go and replace from the local parts store, or walmart/kmart.

Quote:
RedTwo

Why not bend it downwards towards the road? There's miles of space between chassis, the radiator and the gearbox.
Meh, just throwing it out there for conversations sake...

Quote:
turbowop

I was thinking the same thing, but if his intercooler piping comes in through there space will get pretty tight trying to fit an intake, IC piping, filter, maf, etc.

^^Yes, as mentioned, I lack the space because of the I/C pipes. I thought about this also.

Quote:
curtis

Whats wrong with straight over and under the battery.

You can still pie cut the pieces and make and oval but under the battery is fresh air and no bends.

Curtis, Fresh air is True, but under? Do you mean under the uni-rail where the stock I/C pipe is routed? If so, It was thought about, but I have my I/C pipe tucked up pretty tight under there and it takes up quite a bit of space.

CarRacer, I understood what you were getiing at with the picture, the reason that I didn't do that is because of the I/C pipeing aswell.

Keep the different thoughts coming. You never know, I might change my mind on what I am doing right now. I am mocking everything up at the moment to se what has to go where.

Also, Garfield, what battery is that in the 5th picture? Do you have any demensions, or a part #?

Thanks again guys!!

Last edited:

curtis

It all depends on you IC pipes but the intake could elbow down and forward then across directly above the bottom rad hose then over and probably clear. If your worried about water etc just turn it up and have the air filter up high in the fender well.

Now as for temp under hood my buddy with a turbo volvo disproved this myth to me. His car came factory with a temp sensor for ambient air. Its located up front in the lower bumper. He unbolted it and mounted by the filter and when going down the road the temp equalizes within seconds to outside conditions.

curtis

I forgot to add the little batteries keep them for your lawn mower. Might be fine for a drag car but extra electronics and start ups kill them. A local guy killed a starter and has nothing but problems out of the one he has on his evo. Put the battery in the trunk and buy a red top optima. Check everyday at Auto Zone and advance for a used one. The last 2 I bought came from their used batteries at 24.99 a pop with core.

fivestardsm

Here is the new setup that I am mocking up. Like I said, It might change. The box, is just a possibility. It is one that I had laying around.

Here is the I/C pipeing and how tightly tucked up there I have it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned