The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hood hinge rattle and interior cleaning question

deez

First, my girl uses shitloads of sunscreen, and its on the leather. How can I clean that greasy white film off without drying out the leather?
Second, about a year ago I remember reading about the hood hinges rattling and making a noise that seems to come from the interior. Well mine is doing that. Does anyone recall what the fix was?

steve

Real fix is to replace the hinge. Hack fix is to jam a strip of rubber in there to take up the slack. Check the HowTo section.

turbowop

1. www.leatherique.com

2. Go to a junkyard and find a 6g Galant with hood hinges that don't have play in them. You can test this by pulling up at the back of the hood while it's closed and see if it moves. If you get no movement, it should be a non-rattler. Pay the $5 and clean it or paint it and install it on your car. Or get a new one for like $45 or whatever they are. They're not cheap if I recall. Even 1051 has a couple of cleaned up junkyard hinges since the originals were rattling like crazy.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
7g hinges also fit the same, and I think I found them on ebay once. Haven't looked recently.

According to most car detail fanatics, Woolite diluted is the best cleaning agent for leather followed up by Zymol Treat or some other high quality conditioner that is formulated specifically for leather.

Here is a good post from someone on autopia

Quote:

The Zymol leather cleaners and conditioners [found in target or other similar stores] are made by TW (Turtle Wax).

Zymol Treat is the real Zymol leather conditioner.

There are much better leather conditioners.

There is Sonus Leather Conditioner, Zaino "Leather in a Bottle", Leather Master etc.

Lexol, being really a tack/saddle condtioner that was reformulated due to the car nich, is not what I'd use on car leather.

To be quite honest, good old Woolite and distilled water is a great leather cleaner as most leather cleaners are nothing more than just that, but add coloring and fragence etc.

Most leather today is treated and has a coating not too much different from paint. Otherwise, you get color bleeding and staining more often with old leather, which much as you know in seeing older cars crack and have very distinct looking hides. Those require different products heavy in solvents and oils to treat.

You want something lighter, no solvents, some that may have leather smells, or others that bring out the natural leather odor.

Keep the Lexol for home use and go and get some leather condtioners made sstrickly for car leather.

Regards,
Deanski

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned