The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Badge adhesive removal

The Mitsubishi badge on my trunk came off leaving some adhesive residue behind. I tried using some goof off to remove it but it didnt work. Anyone have some ideas? I have some solvents that would easily take it off but at the expense of the paint, which im trying to avoid. Anyone?

ktmrider

Acetone is the best thing I found for the adhesives.
Just make sure to wash and wax the area immediately afterward to protect the paint.

pachood_1953

^^

It could still affect the paint...Not immediately, but with time.
Lacquer thinner works awesome, but it also wrecks the finish. It will soften the paint with time and eventually cause it to dull out.

I would find a good auto paint safe adhesive remover. I use something called Auto Sol in the body shop, but Im not sure if you can find that through anyone but detail specific shops...If you could find it locally, it dominates. It will also eat tar.

If its a thick (or soft) glue, you can use whats called an eraser wheel on a drill slowly..But they arent cheap.

I dont like putting anything on paint unless I know its 100% safe, even with time.

Thats exactly why im hesitant about what i use on my car. The paint is in great shape and i dont want to jeopardize that.

ktmrider

^^ Yeah I really agonized over using the 'Tone.
I removed the side molding off a 99 Silverado and installed the Sierra style. I tried everything under the sun or at least all the products available over the counter. Acetone removed the adhesive very quickly and like mentioned immediately washed the areas to neutralize the chemical.
I owned the truck for another 3 years after, never saw any problems in the treated areas ( and I watched carefully, me being OC and AR ).
If you don't have access to the specialty stuff at a body shop Acetone is a viable option.

3M makes an adhesive remover for use on cars. I threw away my last empty can recently so I can't quote from the label, but it worked well for me. I bought it at an auto parts store.

Prosol and heat FTW. The adhesive turns into a gum and peels right off.

click

I used to re-con cars for a living, that stuff is awesome!

14u2nV

You could probably put googone on it, and heat it with a heat gun and get good results, or try it after it's been sitting in the sun all day.

fivestardsm

Heatgun+1, you dont even need the chemicals, but they do make it a ton easier.

What I use to remove pinstripe and such, is a decal remover. It is basically a rubber-eraser that is round and has an arbor on it. Put it in you diegrinder or drill and go to town. Downside to this to, you can screw the paint up if you don't know what you are doing. I have removed miles of pinstriping >(adhesive backing)< from cars with these couple different procedures.

Terry Posten

I just removed the "MITSUBISHI" and "LANCER" from the back of my Ralliart and I used a hairdryer to get the plastic warm to touch, then used "spiderwire" fishing line and used it like dental floss. The adhesive that was left on the paint was still soft and rubbery. It just rolled off.

I then used rubbing alcohol with a soft towel and removed the rest of the residue off. Then used "Mother's" detailing spray applied to a soft cloth and re-waxed the paint.

Super simple but this is on a new car. The emblems were fresh.

Brunoboy

Quoting 1457gvr4:
The Mitsubishi badge on my trunk came off leaving some adhesive residue behind. I tried using some goof off to remove it but it didnt work. Anyone have some ideas? I have some solvents that would easily take it off but at the expense of the paint, which im trying to avoid. Anyone?

they have special sprays for it, but I used Brake cleaner fluid lol, quick spray wipe off wash.

jogalant

For removing decals or badges I use Xenit from these guys. Awesome products. Nice company name too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif click

blacksheep

You can get an eraser wheel at NAPA and use it on end of drill to remove this stuff, pinstripes etc. Then, wash, wipe, rubbing compound and wax dealie...

tommyp

Ronson lighter fluid + terry cloth works great for taking all sorts of adhesives off of surfaces. In the house, it works great to soften up paint splatters if you are messy painting around woodwork. I'd suggest testing in an small spot to be sure it doesn't affect the surface.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts