The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My second welding job: 03 Evolution VIII cat converter

bustedsm

Much better if you ask me, although I think I needed SS wire, unsure. How does it look?

DSC_2603.jpg

DSC_2602.jpg

DSC_2601.jpg

Barnes

If that was a factory piece, it was probably 4xx series stainless steel. Is the part you welded on SS or steel?

Overall ooks pretty good to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bustedsm

To be honest I'm not 100% sure but I believe both pieces were SS. I can't show you guys the penetration because of how I actually did it. I cut the vband flange setup a little long and it actually slid into the new cat for straightness and easier to weld. It penetrated though and will work as if someone much better than me did it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ScreaminE

Whats your set up? Looks like the Harbor Freight Special?

Let us know!

Oh, and the welds look pretty good to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

bustedsm

Chicago Electric 220v 110amp mig - C-25 mixture /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stainless 304 wire will pretty it up a bit, but out of a MIG, that's some pretty good penetration.

110v is good for tacking stuff, but for good MIG welds like this, the 220v really makes it happen!

Oh and V-band flanges FTW!

Last edited by a moderator:

JNR

Looks good, me thinks.

If you're ever in doubt, use a magnet...3xx series will not be attracted. There is another way you can tell by the sparks, but don't recall the details (check google).

Looks nice. Only thing I'd suggest is that you weld your v-band flanges while they're fully clamped together and don't take it apart till it cools off (if you aren't already doing it this way). I've seen the flanges warp when they're just welded on without being clamped together.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts