The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stock Wheels

Thinking about going back to the stock wheels....tires on them now are shot...what is a good size for the 15's and what is a good tire. And how does everyone feel about the stock wheels??

Terry Posten

Best size is 205/55/15.

I have a set in my FS thread.

Terry Posten

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting 06Outlanderawd:
Thinking about going back to the stock wheels....tires on them now are shot...what is a good size for the 15's and what is a good tire. And how does everyone feel about the stock wheels??

Depending on how you use your car, nothing wrong with them. I daily drove my car on stock wheels for about a year and a half. Great in winter.

Lonewolf64

Personally I don't run my stock wheels because:
1) They are heavy
2) With my lowering springs and my low profile performance tires they make my car sit dangerously low

If that stuff doesn't bother you, there is no reason not to run these great wheels.

Terry Posten

I have always tried to keep the stock sized circumference to keep the speedo correct.

So lowering your car makes a difference but altering rim height does not because larger rim equals lower profile tires.

There are only 3 reasons to alter the rim size.

#1 - larger brake rotors/calipers
#2 - Optimize handling characteristics
#3 - looks

It is my opinion that altering the total diameter of the tire is dangerous. It can alter the geometry of the steering and wheel travel and not properly done, can cause accidents.

With all the tire sizes available, you should be able to get a tire to fit on any rim less than 19" and keep the overall same tire height (within a few millimeters anyway).

Im runnin the stock wheels with 60 series tires (only because they are brand new and free) and my speedo is off by 10%. Its kinda a PITA.

dont drive the car much maybe twice a week....usually on weekends....car is lowered and i have 17's now...previous owner used the stock wheels for auto x he had 205/50/15 tires on them but there shot so i need new ones, just basically wanted to know if that size was alright or if there were better sizes to use...

i hope it doesnt sit to low if i go back to stock rims, i never saw it with the stockers on...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned