The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

flow master????

prove_it

Done what yet?
I've done lots of things, many, many things in my life.

prove_it

I used to install custom exhaust on cars everyday. To me Flowmasters sound great on anything. Get the right series though. not to mention the right size.
I'll be putting on a flowmaster on mine. You'll be fine. I'm hoping it will sound deep, but quiet. That's what I think.

GVR4_1057

I had one on back in the day. I like the magnaflow much more. It sounds smoother.

Whistler

The Flowmasters that I have seen are a chambered design as opposed to a "straight through" perforated tube mufflers. I suspect that the chambered mufflers flow less and will create more backpressure when compared to similar size straight throught mufflers. So unless you just care about the noise and not the performance, leave the Flowmasters to the mullet boys.

toybreaker

iconoclast
My experience has been that flowmasters drone at light throttle in these cars without a resonator.

Last edited:

CP

Flowmaster doesn't offer a muffler with the straight-through "turbo" design; just the baffled type. Go with a Dynomax Ultraflow if you want the design where you can see from one end to hte other. I've got one on my car and it's pretty quiet.

conquesttsi

Quoting Whistler:
The Flowmasters that I have seen are a chambered design as opposed to a "straight through" perforated tube mufflers. I suspect that the chambered mufflers flow less and will create more backpressure when compared to similar size straight throught mufflers. So unless you just care about the noise and not the performance, leave the Flowmasters to the mullet boys.

x2 Don't do Flowmaster. I accually bought one before I did the research because I got a "great deal. :-/ I ended up with a 3 inch Magnaflow Race series. You don't want anything with baffles for a turbo car. If you've got the beans to spend check out Certified Muffler.

Quoting prove_it:
I used to install custom exhaust on cars everyday. To me Flowmasters sound great on anything. Get the right series though. not to mention the right size.
I'll be putting on a flowmaster on mine. You'll be fine. I'm hoping it will sound deep, but quiet. That's what I think.

Your knowledge on these cars astounds me.... way to go buddy.

blacksheep

Yes, there are better alternatives to flowmaster in the same price range...

I would have to say other than the japanese canon style mufflers, I would recommend the magnaflow race series 3" or the vibrant 3"...I know vibrant makes a stealth black 3" system as well. I have had flowmaster, dynomax and something else summit had - warlock or something and they all sounded too "ghetto".

If you want a japanese muffler, I would say the Apexi N1 3" and the blitz nur-spec 3" are both great and flow very well, but the Blitz nur-spec is mega loud...

One more thing about magnaflows, the ovals are quieter than the round ones - the race series used to come with a 3" silencer which absolutely hinders flow and constipates the car, but makes it quiet.

I would check ebay for magnaflow 3" race series or go to the performancepeddler.com website - he whores out magnaflow like no other. They also carry the 3" high-flo magnaflow cat if you want to be green and quieten it down a bit

Magnaflow part #'s for the 3" ovals are 14579 for polished stainless and 12579 for non-polished stainless, I didnt look up aluminized for rusting purposes...You will have to pay more for tips

Jon - hope my knowledge astounds you as well... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

Lonewolf64

Borla turbo XL muffler. Twin tip for stealth look, flows just as well as the fart cannons (3 inch inlet and 2x2.5 inch outlets), and sounds awesome.

Lonewolf64

Quoting Aspod:
^Thats on your car? Do you have a pic of what it looks like under the bumper?

Yes sir, I do.

G

Staff member
Any sound clips? ^

Lonewolf64

Unfortunately no. I'll try to get some eventually. Sounds good though.

It's a megan racing 3inch downpipe into a dynomax bullet inline and into the borla turboxl muffler.

curtis

Chambered mufflers like flowmaster's and spintech's create a resonance freq which causes turbos to fail...Something about the harmonics and if the certain freq is sustained the turbine wheel can actually come apart.....No data to support said claim just what I've heard and read.

gtluke

yeah you can't use chambered mufflers on turbo cars

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned