The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How stupid am I: #931 spring upgrades

NateCrisman

So, I have spent 2 full days each of the last two weeks cranking away on installing some parts that were collected for #931.

I did the 5 lug swap, slotted brake rotors, 16x7" wheels, 205/55/16 tires bridgestone potenza tires,
dsm rear swaybar
new parking brake cables
4 bolt rear end that came out of #828 that I parted out.
Converted the car to speed density with DSMap and GM Map, Ait, and an Inovate LC1 wideband.
Deleted the ABS with 1g dsm parts.

So I finished the car up last thursday, thankfully it starts and runs on the DS-Map basemap at about 11pm. I go about 5 miles of the 11 on this route between the garage and my home before I start hearing a high pitched squeel, what I assumed was just a brake dust shield touching a rotor. 100% vehicle speed dependent. Im halfway home, so there's no point in turning back, Ill deal with it in the daylight the next day.

By the time I got within a mile of home, that little squeel turned into a howl so horrendous that I wanted to cover my ears accompanied by a starting vibration from the back end. I knew in my gut I had done something dumb. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

yesterday I pulled the drain plug off that 4bolt....yup. BBQ smelly fumes and not a drop of gear oil. At the very least I know there are 2 Aholes who would swap a 4bolt rear into a GVR4 without changing the gear oil. (myself and the other dumbass who installed it in #828 and left it empty) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif So I filled the rear up with gear oil in the futile hope the damage was minimal, but just as I expected, the car drives like it has square wheels in the back.

HAHA so, GTluke says I can make a frankenstein rear with a mixture of 3 & 4 bolt rear parts, basicly putting the 4 bolt diff into the 3bolt case with the good 3bolt bearings and ring& pinion for use with the 4bolt axles.

Yeah, I suck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

1990ggsxnj

WHAT?! Wow... that's almost as bad as when I converted my Eclipse GS to GST and forgot to put the filter on, with oil spitting everywhere and the engine loping like it was sad...

1990ggsxnj

OH YEA, the aftermarket alarm also locked the doors before I stepped out to see what the hell was happening. Luckily I had the hatch open so I could jump in and turn the key off. LOL

kinda like when people would double seal an oil filter at a stealership i used to work at

NateCrisman

Yeah, I'm totally kicking myself. I guess I just "forgot" about it since I actually put the rear diff in on Tuesday the 24th and didn't finish until the end of the next week. The 4bolt was the first thing put in, but I had like 5 projects going on together. When I was getting close to finishing up on this last thursday I was all into the wiring and rushing to get it done and out of the garage for the weekend. I should have seriously caught it, such a stupid and costly mistake.

oh well. Maybe going to stick the 3 bolt dsm rear that came out of the car back in tomorrow so I can get more progress on the DS-Map tuning.

Still go a bunch of work to do as well:
Aeromotive FPR to install (just need to order a few fittings)
make a new intake pipe to replace the 2g maf/dejon setup.
clean up wiring in the center console area, radio and gauges Im removing.
Install a set of hks cams, Tbelt maintenance, BSE kit
start working on nitrous kit instal.

Then start on installing some better condition body panels and figuring out what the plan is for body work and possible repaint.

ktmrider

Nate I have done a few things like that over the years so no stone throwing from me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
On another note you can probably track down a 4bolt pumpkin/center for a swap later. I have one laying in the garage I picked up local for $100.

Whenever im doin a laundry list of mods or maintanence, i tape a list of things left to do to the windshield or like my buddy does, just write on the windshield itself with a sharpie. I know its to late but just an idea for next time.

fivestardsm

I do the sharpie all over the windshield too!! That way when you get in, its right in your view. I even write it backwards and bold when its important.

1990ggsxnj

Great Idea! I bet there's nothing like driving around for parts with the list right in front of you.

Umm ya. See, you clean it with goof off, brake parts cleaner or rubbing alcohol. Its not permanent.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Got my car back together a few seasons back and didn't tighten the caliper bolts on the driver rear wheel. Any guesses how embarassed I felt when the tire locked up solid in front of the dealership where I worked! Good thing it was wet out, cause I dumped the clutch and dragged that "bish into the sales parking lot and proceeded to roll the 5 ton jack over 200 meters to where my car was parked, so I could uncrippled the rear wheel. Lesson learned. Eep, only 2 bolts loose on the whole car isn't that bad though right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Last edited:

prove_it

Man your stupid! wait we ALL have done something like this at some point. ha ha we are all stupid!

Nartanian

^ hey hey hey im not stupid... just not smart 100% of the time. Am I right or am I right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

prove_it

Quoting 1457gvr4:
Whenever im doin a laundry list of mods or maintanence, i tape a list of things left to do to the windshield or like my buddy does, just write on the windshield itself with a sharpie. I know its to late but just an idea for next time.

I tape lists on my car too,

Terry Posten

Don't feel to bad. We have all done things like this.

My last mistake did not cause any damage but it sure could have.

I left the tool "threaded rod" holding the timing belt tensioner in my cousins motor for 2 weeks. He drove it every day.

I only found it was missing when I was inventorying my tools after cleaning them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Needless to say, I have not done that again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nartanian

Yea you live and learn i guess. The bright sight is you usually won't make the same mistake twice.

fivestardsm

Quoting Terry Posten:
Don't feel to bad. We have all done things like this.

My last mistake did not cause any damage but it sure could have.

I left the tool "threaded rod" holding the timing belt tensioner in my cousins motor for 2 weeks. He drove it every day.

I only found it was missing when I was inventorying my tools after cleaning them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Needless to say, I have not done that again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have done that as well, although, I think I caught it the same day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

The worst goof I did, that I can remember or will admit to, is leaving the turbo oil feed bolt out of the head on start up.

Yeeaahhhh... 2 1/2 quarts all over the engine bay and garage.

And I can't even tell you how many times I left the screwdriver in the back of the block and tried to roll the engine over and heard nothing but a clank.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Dang, i bet that was a freakin big mess. I thought i took all the oil out of an engine before i set it upside down on the work bench only to have a quart or two of residual oil spill all over the place.

Or how about refilling the tranny before you put the drain plug back in? Gotta love that one.

NateCrisman

Quoting Nartanian:
Yea you live and learn i guess. The bright sight is you usually won't make the same mistake twice.

That's for damn sure! Live and learn.

I'm going to stick the dsm 3bolt rear back in tomorrow so I can drive the car and get some tuning done. After it's out, Ill take that 4bolt pumpkin apart and see the carnage (and post pics).

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts