The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Paint prep question

slobra

I just got my tax money in the bank and one of the things I was thinking about doing with it is getting my car painted. I've never had a car painted before so I have a few questions.

I want the car painted the same color (belize green), does that mean less prep work has to be done? What kind of price would I be looking at for a decent re-paint job? Can I get away with just taping up the chrome trim or should I just pop it out beforehand? And finally, I want the door handles painted the same color as the car. Do I have to remove them prior to paint or can they be painted still installed?

Sorry for all the novice questions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Last edited:

cOmpressor

I'm no expert in paint or prep but I know you can tape the chrome trim. You can also paint the handles on the car but taking them off might give you a better finished product. No less prep really and you will be looking at $1,500 - $2,000 for a good paint job. Please don't just get a $300 "Fako" paint job, do yourself a favor and get something quality.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting slobra:

I want the car painted the same color (belize green), does that mean less prep work has to be done? What kind of price would I be looking at for a decent re-paint job? Can I get away with just taping up the chrome trim or should I just pop it out beforehand? And finally, I want the door handles painted the same color as the car. Do I have to remove them prior to paint or can they be painted still installed?

Sorry for all the novice questions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

All of your questions have the same varying answer; it all depends how good you want it to be, how much time/money you want to spend.

Ideally, you'd be sanding the surface of the car because the factory paint isn't as smooth as it could be. This would also allow you to fix any body issues (dents, etc.). However, since you're staying with the same color, at a bare minimum you have to scuff up the clear-coat and use a gritty scuffing/cleaning compound. You also don't have to worry about the door jambs since it will be the same color.

I have no idea on prices for labor. I do know that a majority of the painting is prep work, which you can manage yourself if you are willing. Also, materials aren't cheap.

Yes, you can tape off the chrome trim, but like I said before, it depends how good you want it. Removing the chrome trim would result in a better paint job, but you will have to buy new trim.

I just painted the door handles on my car and I would recommend removing them for this. Results in a better paint job, and if you want you can leave the plastic separators that go between the door and the handle, black, for a more factory finish.

pachood_1953

Our shop STARTS complete paint jobs at 3000..but thats with us doing everything..We dont take in pre-prepped jobs. We are a very qaulity shop, and our rates are actually rather low.

I'd say if you want to do a complete paintjob on your car, and get it all ready yourself..you should do yourself a favor and do tons of reading on how to do it properly..
Theres alot more to "repainting" then it seems...And as jepherz said, materials are very very expensive..When I went to college(and actually saw materiel prices), a typical respray (no new parts, no jambs) would cost 750-1200 dollars in materials alone.

We painted my friends Bmw (2 door) for 1150, but that was a tri-coat pearl with dupont..But on the other hand, we painted another guy's Shelby Daytona for ~450 with a lesser brand paint (we used nason for this job)

slobra

I want a pretty good paint job from an actual shop. I don't think I'd settle for a Maaco job on this car. I'd probably prep the car myself just to save the money. I have a friend that has prep'd a couple of cars he's had painted before so that should help. If I could get it done for around 2 grand, I'd be pretty happy.

Is there any good websites or literature I could catch up on to get me some tips about preping for a paint job?

slobra

^Lol, good point, thanks for the link /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pachood_1953

Quoting insane92:
Maaco isn't bad if you do your own prep work.

From what I understand, it varies from place to place.. I know a guy who worked for one in chicago and he quit because he was so embarrassed by the way they did things. It hurts the pride of a real body or paint tech.

Personally, I could never bring a car to maaco because it goes against everything Im about.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned