The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

project honda killer aka 1033/2000

ok well here is my first non honda car lmao its a 91 galant vr4 ..my goal with this car is to make 400awhp ON PUMP GAS ...will i make it ????yes i will /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

goal=450awhp

powerplant:6 bolt 2.0 4g63

block:
bored .30 over
ross 8:3:1 pistons .30 over
eagle rods
arp rod bolts
arp head studs
cometic headgasket
bsek
acl race bearing set

Head:
stock ports
bc dual valvesprings
bc titanium retainers
bc 272 cams
oem valves
bronze valve guides

turbo setup:
20g turbo
florida performance tubular manifold
tial 38mm wastegate
tial 44mm bov
GODSPEED FMIC
3" ic piping

Fuel:
1000cc injectors
walbro 255 fuel pump
sx performance fpr setup

exaust:
apexi 3" turbo back n1 system

drivetrain:
jdm switchable awd/fwd tranny
act 2600 clutch kit
fidanza flywheel

tuning :
dsmlink v3
aem uego

tuner:
miller from nrgtech racing

please comment and any input on my build list would be great

well thats the set up i have in mind...... i already have most of the parts i might change some parts as i go along .....

and as i get pictures i will post them

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is the car when i first got it

Last edited by a moderator:

blacksheep

Nice list of mods, good luck on your build. Are those rotas? Did you have a prelude or accord before with those wheels on them?

Also, do you hope to make 450 on pump or race gas or E85 etc?

PS - Is this your first gvr4 or DSM?

If yes - > Please invest in jackstands

If no -> You already have purchased enough jackstands

Last edited:

um there sportmaxx they came with the car ,,,im going to try to make it on pump gas if it fails i will use c16 race

and this is my first gvr4 and why will i need all those jack standsss lol

icurunnin

I see you bank dropping the further I go down the list /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif
its ok, mine is dropping with yours /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

JSchleim18

I'd recommend going with a Mitsu MLS headgasket and a tuner more familiar with these cars. There's a tuner on the NYCCDSM board who does very good work. His name is Scott aka awdpsi.

Good Luck!

JNR

If you're building something that will be 'hunting', least shoot for a little more than a Honda though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If I ever build my dream car, it'll have the plate, MC KLLR

bazeng

450awhp based on a hub dyno or a roller dyno?

I've made that on a dynodynamics roller dyno and it reqeuires alot more work that that, mind you pump fuel was used.

I'd say C16 you'll get close. On C16 I made about 500hp at all wheels before the motor gave up.

I would invest a few hundre dollars in some Eagle rods. I'd also consider ARP main studs too, there are some people that say you dont need them but since your going this far, why not? With that you'd need to do a bit more machining also. I'd also add a kiggly girdle and remove balance shafts.

As for a 20g turbo, what rear? I made my power with a Garrett GT3082 which is pretty much a GT35 front with a GT30 rear with 25psi.

The fwd/awd gearbox are meant to be a weaker item and with 450 genuine awhp you'd be concerned about the longevity of the box / xfer case. I'd be concerned about the clutch also with that power. If you want it to last, I'd think of a twin plate of some sort.

If you talking hub dyno, then you'd probably be fine with what you have. But I'd still go with the Eagle rods though. The cost of prepping your stockies will be close to a new set of Eagles.

mountaineerjeff

^+1
maybe hes just not used to how we can launch, because a honda needs 450hp to compete with anything. cause they spin forever.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

1. make sure you redo the intercooler pipes
2. 1g rods will be ok but if you want peace of mind go with some aftermarket ones
3. get a bov that recirculates if you run dsmlink
4. get a different tunner. +1 on Scott (awdpsi on nyccdsm.com)

Kenny_Kline

To break 350whp, you really have to know what your doing. Its not that hard but for your first time... it will be tough. Your chasing 450??? I dont know. I think you will have alot of trouble hitting that goal. What do you plan to rev to? I would really focus on the bottom end making sure everything is to spec including throwing out the 1G rods. Yeah you can make the power with that bottom end but it really would be a ticking time bomb if you dont watch everything closely (knock, egt, A/F, etc.)

2of9

450 is tricky.i think you'd be happy with 350awhp. I'm having no troubles beating hondas, I'm concerned about the V8s more than the civics, but a couple of those turbo civics are quite amusing. The car stock already should be a honda killer! lol. I think someone here on the forums already got to like 340ish awhp with a keydriver chip and mildly built engine with the evo3 turbo. I'm sitting around 230awhp with the big 16g and i dont mind it right now. 272s, e316g, retune and i should be in the 300s hopefully. good luck.

2of9

oh, on the tranny, just get a shep trans. with that hp, i dont think the stock tranny will be able to handle it.

curtis

Mod 1)
Add to the list PTT (powertrain technology)dual disk Clutch....That will hit you for about $1200. Its absolutely amazing how the car reacts to it.

Mod 2)
4 bolt rear from a talon. The factory 3 bolt also reacts to Mod 1 in a bad way.

Mod 3)
both front axles are available from autozone with a lifetime warranty, they too react to Mod 1.

Mod 4)
Re wire the pump and do at least 255 hp with aeromotive/fuelab regulator.

Mod 5)
Screw a 20g, I hate those things, the compressor is to big for that small a wheel hard to balance and with a little bitty shaft they want live like a MAN TURBO might make power but how long. My first turbonetic TO4B lasted 5 years and died from my screw up or it might still be rollin

Mod 6)
GROWN ASS MAN TURBO
The bigger the better... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Not really a big turbo is more efficient if it is selected properly. My s362 schwitzer with bullseye housing would cycle all 4 tires from a 3rd to 2nd down shift with about 24psi at 17 the IC hot side was still cold it was so efficient, If I buy another s series anytime it would be a s366 because they make boost faster there power band and efficiency isn't as high as the 362 but make the exact same when wound up. You could easily make 450 at 21 pounds with one of these and not even be working it hard.

My list of MAN TURBOS for you
GT30
HX35
GT35
HX40
S362 At low boost 20-24 your OK
S366 At low boost 20-24 your OK
S370 Stop there your going to bend rods

This is a local guys car with a GT30R fp exhaust manifold on methanol injection, he just bought a hawker manifold, 4 new wheels with dot's and is going e85 Its going to be fast this summer.

2.0 sixty foot click me

another local buddy made 565 with meth on an evo with a 35R last week at 30 psi made 450 at 21 thsi is all running on an AEM ecu.

Here's what my car sounded like before....this car is a s366 low boost
talon on 15psi.

Hopefully my new turbo makes the whistle...Not telling what it is. But its GROWN ASS MAN BIGGER /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

IM going to make the power i want with the setup i have in mind......the only thing i might change is the turbo im looking at a hx40 with a bep housing .....if you dont like my setup sorry and as for it being a honda killer i was just joking ....i have a mid 10 second civic and im getting a new motor done im aiming for 800whp with it ........gvr4 is going to be my fast daily driver

curtis

I think your set-up will be fine just hate to hear about people making paper weights with stock rods after a few months. I pushed my limits with mine and am paying the piper now. Car is a giant paper weight in my way in the shop because I didn't stop long enough to do a bottom end and stripped it down to start over. If I would have replaced the rods and pistons earlier the thrust woundn't have worn as much and I'd be in boost daily instead of wishing.

I'm a firm believer in overbuilding and not running it to the limits. Build for 1000 and only run 500. They'll run forever like that but build for a goal and side step a few weak links and be in trouble later. Best of luck with it. Also you may want to PM Jose aka Gordian79 or something like that he's local to you and been around forever.

i understand were your coming from its just a goal of mine to make 450whp with this setup ....im not going to drive around every day with that power.....ill dd at around 350-375

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts