The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

act 3200 or exedy twin disk

What do you guys think? I got a act 3200 with a fidanza light weight flywheel. When I went to the shop they for the engine install they said that I should go with a twin disk. I found a exedy twin disk for 675 shipped and its used. What do you guys think? The cars going to be a dd and get close to 500 hp. Im trying to get many opinions. Jesse feels that I should run the act 3200 till it dies and I agree with him on that.

1990ggsxnj

act 3200 on a DD? I personally would never go above 2600 unless I upgraded the thrust bearing..could be anal, but just me. I launched plenty of times on a 2600 without any problems. Your knee is gunna blow out in traffic! But, you have it already so no going back I guess. Hope it works out for ya. Mine had an act street clutch that was pretty good. Not too much chatter. Unsure what the twin disk feels like. Perhaps others will have some more input?

Last edited:

hit up jesse on here from revolution motorsports, he sells clutchnet's and there damn good. They are also priced very well. I have the red PP w/ kevlar disk in the vr4 and its great. Also i would never buy a used clutch who knows how the previous owner treated it. It might not have been broken in properly etc etc.

3rdstrikedsm

3200 is a lighter peadl feel than 2600.

2600 is worthless with 500 hp it wil gernade within 5 launches.

3200 got shep in to the 8's

G

Staff member
Exedy.

BadVr4

over 400hp u need a twin disc. some people run 2600's or 2900's with decent hp, but they dont drive the car hard enough. if ur going to be launching the car and u have more than 400hp just do a twin disc now and get it over with.

3rdstrikedsm

use the 3200, You are throwing your money away if you go twin disk and don't need it right now.
If you would have used the 6 puck un sprung disk with it, I am sure it would have held 600whp with out issue and it would have been smoother than a twin disk.

turbowop

I don't suggest daily driving with a twin-disk. If you ever encounter stop/go rush hour traffic with one you will probably go batshit insane.

I just saw that the exedys clamp load is at barley 2200. Thats not enough at all. I want to stick with the 3200 im just afraid its going to be to much now.

If you choose a twin disc setup just make sure it's one that will hold the 500+ft/lbs of torque that the FP3065 is capable of producing. Also remember that's wheel torque and clutches are rated for flywheel torque. That is roughly 600ft/lbs of torque at the flywheel. I am basing these figures on FP's dyno sheet showing the 3065 making over 510ft/lbs of torque at the wheels. Then, I divided by .85 to account for the ~15% drivetrain loss. Do some research and see if that Exedy twin is rated for anything close to that. Then look at what a PTT or Quartermaster will handle and pick a clutch.

HHIVR4

IMO twin disks are not ideal for daily driving.Great on the track it really just depends on your preference though.My last twin disk (10 years ago) only last 16k with fairly regular track use and daily driving.Have you ever driven a car with a twin disk?

bigblock4g63

exedy as same of the disc act sells are from exedy anyway

I have never driven a twin disk before. Okay after doing some reaserch I saw that the act 2600 with a 6 puck sprunk disk can go up to 513 ft/lbs of torque. I figure that should be really good esp since I already have the 6 puck disk. I could step it up to a 2900 and that will get me close to 600 ft/lbs of torque. Any opinions?

ktmrider

I like to use the 20% rule, decide what I want to build then add 20 percent to that figure.
More now but saves money in the long run over re-replacing clutches, car downtime, tows from the track, broken bellhousings, etc.

bazeng

I'd personally go the twin disk if you plan to make alot of power.

The single plate will be fine for a while, but you'll find out that you need a new clutch in no time.

As for twin disk, I'm using an Aussie made one and I can honestly say that it drives very well, even for a daily. You can ride it slighty and it is very light on the foot. It also doesn't slip with over 450hp at all wheels (dyno dynamics dyno).

I made the mistake of using a 5puck ceramic / fidanza combo with a 3000lb pressure plate. It was good but the twin is better.

Plus the issue of a heavy pressure plate with the thrust bearing wear in the block.

Brianawd

I DD my twin disc for two weeks. I can say I would not have a problem DD my car year round with the twin disc. Its the weld CD on my car that makes it a bitch for DD.

turbowop

Daily driving is one thing, but I guess when I think about having to drive my car in Seattle stop and go traffic on the conjested freeways is where I say I would go insane with a twin disk. I don't mind street driving it and as long as daily commutes weren't bumper to bumper for miles I would be okay.

Brianawd

Quote:
Daily driving is one thing, but I guess when I think about having to drive my car in Seattle stop and go traffic on the conjested freeways is where I say I would go insane with a twin disk. I don't mind street driving it and as long as daily commutes weren't bumper to bumper for miles I would be okay.

Its really not that bad. I205 in portland is stop and go for me to and from work. You get used to it. Once my car is back up and running I will most likely DD it in the summer to work and back

curtis

Twin disk. No matter what other brand is in the car a twin disk will hold the power and put it to the tires and is less strain on the system as well as the thrust bearing. Also go with a fuildamper to take care of the rotational twist.

My problem with a twin disk is that I hear they dont last long at all. Also with a twin disk the cost. They cost in the thousands and I dont Have that kind of money. I dont think im even going to get that much past 500 hp

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned