The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I tried looking for it.

Lancer99

I tried looking to see if I upgraded the 3bolt rear to the 4bolt do I loose the rear steering be of that pump that sits on top?

Scoops

mooserage

Staff member
search and you'll find it, if you switch to 4bolt I believe it takes fairly extensive mods to keep the 4ws. So, short answer, yes.
-shamus
edit: sorry, just noticed that you tried looking, someone should be nice enough to link you...

Last edited:

ktmrider

IIRC the 4 bolt rear ends do not have the mounting plate on the diff to secure the 4WS pump.
It can be done but takes quite a bit of effort.

I actually found it to be quite easy, since you don't even have to remove the 3-bolt diff, pinion, or 4WS pump from the car. You just pull the axles, swap cups, pull out the non-LSD diff, install the 4WS drive gear on the LSD diff, drop the LSD diff into the 3-bolt housing, and install the LSD axles. Its all written up in one of my posts from a few years ago.

cOmpressor

^^ Like he said. Getting the gear off and back on the new LSD rear is the tricky part. I had to take the diff to a rear end shop and have them do the swap. Other than that it was a cake job.

Quoting ktmrider:
IIRC the 4 bolt rear ends do not have the mounting plate on the diff to secure the 4WS pump.
It can be done but takes quite a bit of effort.

I believe there is a small tab welded to the subframe that a portion of the pump bolts too. When I specifically ordered a new rear subframe for 1101 that is how it came.

I took pictures but can't find them.

Not that its a big deal unless he changes the diff internals but you will need to keep the galant subframe if you are to keep the 4ws.

If this is incorrect please feel free to point it out.

jepherz

Staff member
Yeah, that's correct. There's a tab and a hole in the vr4 rear subframe. I remember because I cut mine off when I removed my AWS.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned