The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Got Bored

vr4play

So I got bored the other day when it snowed and all of my appointments for the day canceled. I decided to start working on the G ride again. Has been sitting since I had to take the motor apart almost 8 months. Decided I could shoot a couple of pix. Almost done getting the engine back together. Had to take the bumper and intercooler off to get the oil cooler off. Sucks working outside in the cold.

icurunnin

man that thing is HUGE!!

the intercooler you perve /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

GIjoe

thats a big f-in intercooler u got there....

vr4play

It is a CXRacing Intercooler 24x11x3 with endtanks that I custom made. It is about the biggest I think that would fit in without a whole lot more modification. It seems to work really well but I only drove the car for 300 miles before I had to take it back apart. JE sent me the wrong rings and I wasn't smart enough to realize it before I but it all back together. Smoked like a freight train, scratched the crap out of the cylinder walls and cost me a bunch of time and money. I should have realized they were wrong so it is my fault. It should be all good when I get it back together this time. Triple checked everything. Going to see if I can find some pix of when it was together the first time.

vr4play

Interesting enough I have heard that you should always degree your cams when you install them to get the performance the manufacture advertises. I have been running some HKS 264 cams for about 4 years now with stock cam gears. Always thought that the car felt a little laggy but it ran decent enough to get a 12.2 on a motor with 210,000 miles on it and fuel injectors that where to small. I built a forged motor for my new car over the winter last year and swapped all the go fast parts from my old galant to drive it for 300 miles. It had much better response and made good power to redline. I figured it was because of the much higher compression and the extrude honed intake manifold. Had to disassemble because it smoked like a beast from the day I got it running. JE sent the wrong rings. This time I decided to make sure everything was perfect. Can't afford to do this again with the addition of a new baby at home. I decided to degree the cams. I found that the exhaust cam was advanced 6 deg. with the cam gears set to zero. The intake cam was only off 1/2 a deg. I checked everything 5 times to make sure I didn't make a mistake. I am hoping it will run better still but I am going to run it on the dyno to see if I can get a good power band and see which way was better. Just thought it was interesting that one cam could be off so much.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned