The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

weekend trip with 503

turbowop

So over the weekend the girlfriend and I took a trip to McCall ID. We stayed at a killer Worldmark/Wyndham timeshare dealie as a gift from a friend that used to work for them. We got a presidential suite that was 3500sq/ft with our own hottub, kitchen, three bedrooms, etc. We also skied at Brundage on Saturday since it was only 20 minutes away. Nice place, but needs a three foot dump of snow like the rest of the PNW.

Anyway, the trip was almost 400 miles one way, roughly six hours, into another time zone. I drove 503 hoping that all the recent maintenance I did would keep her on the road. I also invoked Murphy's Law by throwing a shitload of tools into the trunk just in case. I figure if I don't bring 'em I'll end up needing them, and if I do, well, I won't have to end up having to use them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Trip went well, no issues with the galant. -5 degree morning temps, 8mile long 7% uphill grades coming out of Hell's Canyon, snow, etc. I actually got about 25mpg even with the skis on the roof. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Anyway, we took a few pics along the way as well as a couple of the car in the ski area parking lot and figured I'd share...

Pics of the car to make this worthy of the general galant discussion forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif :

mccall%20010%20%28Large%29.jpg

mccall%20007%20%28Large%29.jpg

mccall%20009%20%28Large%29.jpg

They were having a winter carnival in McCall and had some sort of ice sculpture contest, so Amy snapped some pics from inside the car:

mccall%20054%20%28Large%29.jpg

mccall%20062%20%28Large%29.jpg

mccall%20064%20%28Large%29.jpg

mccall%20065%20%28Large%29.jpg

mccall%20070%20%28Large%29.jpg

mccall%20071%20%28Large%29.jpg

Some views on the way there:

Frozen Lake Payette. You can just see the backside of the Brundage ski area in the background:

mccall%20082%20%28Large%29.jpg

Cool old railroad bridge. There were a bunch of these criss-crossing through a canyon on the way and entering/exiting a whole bunch of tunnels:

mccall%20093%20%28Large%29.jpg

Horrible picture from the top of Hell's Canyon. Supposedly it's deeper than the Grand Canyon, but I was hauling too much ass passing cars on the twisties on the way up the 7% grade to wanna stop. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

mccall%20087%20%28Large%29.jpg

Cruise control rawks:

mccall%20098%20%28Large%29.jpg

So does WOT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mccall%20099%20%28Large%29.jpg

Long straight on an Eastern WA road:

mccall%20105%20%28Large%29.jpg

I think we should start a sub-forum for just trip reports using our gvr4's over long distances. Pics of the car, sights during the drive, etc. This one was pretty weak on pics of sights, but the next time I take the car somewhere far, I'm going to try to make some more stops and take some more pics to show. I'd like to see other parts of the country from the driver's seat of somebody else's galant. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Great pics. We never get to experience anything like that in the south. Also seeing pics of your Galant make me want to get another one for DD duty.

324vr4

Glad the Galant made it safely! They are at home in the snow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Hope the skiing was better than where I'm at!

ekschulz

You're killing me. That's the at least the 3rd trip to McCall 503 has made. A buddy of mine is the patrol director at Tamarack so we try and get out there at least once a year. The driving around McCall is awesome. Lots of lonely roads to keep you entertained. I can't wait to get back. Great MTB'n in the summer too.

503 was a road trippin machine. Never broke down on me away from home. Probably a dozen trips to Whistler, a couple to McCall, Moab, and all over Oregon and Washington.

Last edited:

Ralli380Gvr4

It looks like that road trip was a success! Rad pictures, and 503 is looking good. I can't get over how amazing the northwest is. Hopefully I'll be returning soon.

I agree with making a sub forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, IMO this is what these cars are made for. I've made counless road/snow trips and never had much more of a problem than my dipstick blew out. If properly built with no cut corners and lots of oem parts. To this day 380 has never once left me stranded.

Last edited:

Terry Posten

425/1000 was always really dependable as well. It took me to Pikes Peak and back, all over the Midwest and DD for 2+ years.

However, I, like Jeremy Clarkson, ruined the reliability by putting a big snail in it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif.

Makes me want to stick a EIII back on her, install 264 cams and turn it back into a street performer/road trip machine.

Looks like a great time. Now if we could only have that snow and have it 60 deg outside, that would be heaven.

steve

zOMG full knock!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

NYC86ZC

Very nice.

How many miles are on the car and drivetrain?

I'm heading on a ski trip this weekend and will be taking #761. Hopefully it'll be an uneventful 3 hour trip each way.

I'll be stashing some tools, hoses and clamps in the spare tire compartment.

thecman02

Quoting steveVR4:
zOMG full knock!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Please tell me its just stock functioning?

Anyways good looking ride, glad it treated you like it should.

turbowop

Phantom knock at 17psi? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Does nobody remember what that LED gauge did on these cars before we started messing with ecu's? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

The ecu on this car has never been tampered with other than new caps, so it's just doing what it would normally do at WOT.

Quoting NYC86ZC:
Very nice.

How many miles are on the car and drivetrain?

I'm heading on a ski trip this weekend and will be taking #761. Hopefully it'll be an uneventful 3 hour trip each way.

I'll be stashing some tools, hoses and clamps in the spare tire compartment.

The car has 175k miles on it now. Head has never even been separated from the bottom end of the engine and she's running good. I just replaced all ten coolant hoses, new radiator, all new accessory belts, newer Evo3 16g, new seals, etc from R&R of the turbo, etc. etc. I still feel better bringing some tools on long trips. As well as a blanket, some latex gloves and some paper towels just in case I actually have to get dirty working on the thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting Airmail96:
Probably just som PK.

That's called "boost", son.

I remember how that gauge works (worked?). When I put my car back to stock before selling it, I just about freaked out when that gauge zoomed all the way up. Oops, I guess it is supposed to do that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4thStroke

I have tools loaded into my trunk, too. The duct tape, screw drivers, and utility knife saved me a few weeks back when my intercooler hose blew!

cspetros

Quoting turbowop:

I think we should start a sub-forum for just trip reports using our gvr4's over long distances. Pics of the car, sights during the drive, etc. .... I'd like to see other parts of the country from the driver's seat of somebody else's galant. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I second this suggestion. I got all nostalgic looking at this. The longest trip I've ever made was driving from Asheville NC to Longview WA to visit family. Roughly 6400 miles round trip. We took a LOT of scenic routes.

Last edited:

Quoting iceman69510:
Quoting Airmail96:
Probably just som PK.

That's called "boost", son.

I remember how that gauge works (worked?). When I put my car back to stock before selling it, I just about freaked out when that gauge zoomed all the way up. Oops, I guess it is supposed to do that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lol yup I'm dumb, I'm use to thinking boost gauge turned knock gauge and I assumed it was Pk when you said zomg full knock. I completely ignored those stock function replies lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts