The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Modified DSM smic/ fmic (anybody ever run one?)

fivestardsm

Has anybody ever run one of the singles, or the modified dsm side mounts. The ones that are doubled, or trippled. I know Dejon use to make one, but I never really found any good info on the performance.

The only reason that I ask, is because I have 7 or 8 of them laying around and was thinking of getting creative. That, and I am keeping my project (1387) pretty much stock, and found out tonite that the stock I.C. appears to be cracked.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

EMX5636

I currently have two DSM smic's welded side by side. I was going to use it for my Fiero, but I don't know how efficient they are. They are setup more like a radiator (a few different rows of smaller tubes), not like a typical tube/fin or bar/plate IC. If you want to try it, go for it, it's not like you would be spending any money really...

tyrolsport in NY makes em for mk4 1.8t vw's. Deffently looks like you could get it to work on a vr4.

IMG_8412.jpg

click

pachood_1953

I dont see why not. It would be getting the same use a stock dsm would, assuming you are keeping fairly low boost.

Also, its not uncommon for twin turbo guys (specifically 3/S owners) to have Dsm Smic's modified to make work on their cars.

Go for it, and then do some testing and share the results. Compare the boost pressure before and after the IC (to determine pressure drop) and temps before/after (to determine efficiency.)

You never know, it may actually turn out to be a good set-up for a mild street car.

Last edited by a moderator:

fivestardsm

Im not sure if I will beable to test it. It looks like the stock IC is cracked. I haven't been able to get a good look at it yet to make sure. But if not, I will do some testing. I plan on making 2 setups. One single, and then the other I am going to weld 2 of them together.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Or better yet an EVO 8/9 intercooler. They are very cheap now.

14u2nV

Come get that car and I'll give you a stock vr4 ic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fivestardsm

Im still thinking..
Let me figure out my schedule..

Gimpin

Quoting iLLeffeKt vr-4:
Or better yet an EVO 8/9 intercooler. They are very cheap now.

+1 they are all over craigslist for $50 picked one up last week ... there is one on there now for $40

iLLeffeKt vr-4

The evo intercooler would be a much better choice compared to the supra intercooler. You won't have to deal with the plastic end tanks or with the leaks it can develop over time.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts