The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

BOV flange discussion

Guys,
Here's something we've been working on. It's a flange & adaptors that allows you to change bov without changing your pipe or rewelding your flange. Right now the HKS & Greddy flanges are done & we're working on one for the Tial bov.

Last edited by a moderator:

jepherz

Staff member
Are people really switching BOVs around this much? And does the threading allow them to seal, even pointed in the right direction for recirc'd cars? When fabbing, flanges are an EXPENSIVE part of it, and it seems like you could very well have more invested in flanges than your BOVs by the time you buy all of the adapters. Just my opinion.

icurunnin

those look NICE!!
they should sell considering people buy used i.c. piping all the time.
ever thought of having cmpe make some mandrel bent i.c. piping for our cars?

JNR

I would think the threads would be tapered (ie NPT), to keep them sealed, although is there a provision to tighten and hold the mating part (like nipples and unions typically have hex flats)?

Otherwise, it is a good idea; people will have to keep height restrictions, if any, in mind, but doubt that'd be a big deal.

Last edited:

No problem with sealing & height clearance isn't that much different than a typical mounting. Maybe 1/4" more room maybe needed. Ofcourse there are many ways of getting a flange mounted & some don't need as much clearance as others.

As for fmic, ETS already makes a very good quality kit at a reasonable price through Jesse @ Revolution Motorsports. There's no sense in jumping in that market.

Keep the feedback coming as this is what I'm looking for, pros & cons.

Scientist

Nice idea, should maybe market it to ETS, makes it easier for them to offer multiple bovs to customers as all they would have to do is include the flange

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
Now that it has been mentioned, I can see it being a good idea for fabricators, so they don't have to plan for every type of flange. Still, there are more variables than would like, though.

DarkDevilMMM

I think the best way is to make a flange that bolt up to the OEM pipe on one side, but the other side is a universal screw type like the one pictured, and make a adapter for each aftermarket BOVs, so people don't need to weld the universal flange on in the first place.

Myles

Looks nice. I'd be interested in a maybe some sort of SSQV to 1g adapter. The only thing I see not being great would be a seal. My Forge BOV has this universal flange (screw on type) that screws onto the BOV and it can't hold a seal for it's life. I already had Forge warranty it with what they've claimed fixes it and it still leaks.

I like that idea just would be worrisome about a good seal.

JNR

What do you use to tighten the adapter onto the base? Meaning, I know there are ways to do it, but without marring it (i.e. not using vise grips or jawed tools). That's what I say if you could provide flats on both pieces, it would ensure being able to sufficiently tighten it without messing up the finish. Just keep in mind most people's limitation on tools, like maybe a 1" open end maxiumum size design. Something to think about.

I know tapered fittings don't require many turns (seating in that far), but if this is SS, it will take some decent torque on that last partial turn; especially with what looks like close to 2" thread size

Dialcaliper

Don't taper. NPT threads are tapered for ease of assembly, not for sealing properties. This is due to the fact that in pipe-fitting, the actual pipe diameters (ID/OD) vary wildly by material, and tapered threads can be cut on any pipe diameter that the tap/die fit over or in.

Tapered threads won't seal without either a sealant (teflon tape) or deforming the threads (like into aluminum). Even a properly made steel-steel NPT has a helical leak path through the threads.

This is why AN threads (aerospace) are straight thread and standard sizes - Any straight thread is self sealing.

I can see this being a good idea for situations where someone wants to upgrade their intercooler piping without having to buy a new BOV at the same time. (IE keeping your 1G valve initially, or some other cheap valve, and upgrading later). It only takes wanting to accomodate two BOV's to make you wish you could have more than one flange. Some sort of wrench flat (or even just a pair of slots on a round section for a spanner wrench, or holes for a pin spanner) would be a good idea.

Quoting JNR:
I would think the threads would be tapered (ie NPT), to keep them sealed, although is there a provision to tighten and hold the mating part (like nipples and unions typically have hex flats)?

Otherwise, it is a good idea; people will have to keep height restrictions, if any, in mind, but doubt that'd be a big deal.

boostx

They look nice.. As for sealing all you would need is a rubber O ring on the red line.

slugsgomoo

why not just build a flange that seals with a tial v-band? that way you can offer all the flange adapters you want, rotate to whatever angle you need (depending on valve) and it makes going to a tial 50mm later in life easy as well.

plus you don't have to worry about thread sealing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts