The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

clutch bad funds low

mountaineerjeff

my clutch is nonexistant. completely worn out. I want to go with a act 2600 with a lightened flywheel, but I am unable to change it myself, so I will have to pay for it to be installed. the problem is the cost. the cost is up there for everything, which i could save for, but the clutch really needs to be done. I can keep tryin to baby it till I get the money, or just buy a cheap oem one til the money comes, but then I will have to pay labor twice. If it goes out completely Ill be F'ed cause it is my dd. you guys know of any buy now pay later clutch stores? lol. just want an opinion

jepherz

Staff member
Sell car. Buy affordable DD that you won't mod. That is my opinion. Sometimes survival comes before toys.

Get ballsy and attempt it yourself. Get a manual or something. Its not as hard as you might think. Im not a professional mechanic, but i do make alot of side money doin stuff for people who have some knowledge just not the balls to attempt it.

Give it a shot. Ride a bike for a week while its down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14bCrazy

Where in Wva. do you live? I live in Winchester VA. If I'm close enough I would help. Doing a clutch isn't too bad. Even I can do it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mikus

buy now pay later clutch store /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

they're called Mastercard racing. They're in your town, and do a lot of DSM work.

mountaineerjeff

lmao. yea.

if you can baby it for a 1 1/2 hour drive we can do it in a day here baring the axles are not siezed in the hubs

Last edited by a moderator:

mountaineerjeff

ok well, whats the best advice on clutch, I know there are huge discussions on this, but things change all the time. i hear act 2600 the most. I need a full face because the gvr4 is completely street use, and a dd, and i live in town, covered in hills, cant use a puck clutch.

turbowop

Quoting Jesse_W:
if you can baby it for a 1 1/2 hour drive we can do it in a day here baring the axles are not siezed in the hubs

Even if they are, you can just leave them in and still pull the tranny.

Quoting mountaineerjeff:
ok well, whats the best advice on clutch, I know there are huge discussions on this, but things change all the time. i hear act 2600 the most. I need a full face because the gvr4 is completely street use, and a dd, and i live in town, covered in hills, cant use a puck clutch.

If you need a clutch so bad and its your dd get a stock clutch and run stock boost. Not getting to your job and getting fired will suck more than being outlaunched by something else.

mountaineerjeff

yes I agree, Im just not big on the do it, then redo it in a month

Terry Posten

Quoting mountaineerjeff:

A 6 puck is not hard or violent to drive as a DD. I have a Clutchnet 6 puck and so does Ryan Hertz. I have zero chattering if I rev to 1500 to engage.

We just got Ryan's in a few weeks ago and the very first test drive was very smooth.

A Clutchnet 2X w/sprung 6 puck disc is about $350 shipped. I bet an ACT would be about the same.

Remember, a 6 puck disc can use a lighter pressure plate because it is all about "pounds per square inch". The 6 puck has less surface area so that the PSI of the PP is concentrated.

There is someone on this site that works at ACT, call them up and ask for a GalantVR4 website discount. Can't hurt and they might actually give you a good deal.

But it is my suggestion for a DD that you want to drive "spirited", go with a SPRUNG hub 6 puck and a 2100lb pressure plate.

mountaineerjeff

2100 instead of 2600? I just figured a 6 puck would be easier to stall, and over all a little be harder on the rest of the drive train, im used to other applications, where your stuck with a fwd(ftl) is spinning from every stop.

Terry Posten

The heavier PP is desired for max power connection but you may not want to push it in in stop-ngo traffic to long.

The 2100 PP would still hold plenty of power.

But call ACT and ask them what they think. After all, they are the experts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Basicly, a sprung 6 puck is fine for DD. You just have to raise the rpm engagement a few hundred.

DO NOT get a solid hub unless you want a very harsh ride (as a DD).

mountaineerjeff

solid 6 puck, or solid full face? like I said im just trying to get over how not driver friendly puck cluches are on fwd cars.

mountaineerjeff

well I just got ahold of the TPG guys so it looks like they are gonna help me get it installed, plus make sure I get the right clutch/pp/flywheel combo

Terry Posten

Sprung hub means that it will have springs in the inner disc. The "puck" is the outer disc material.

mountaineerjeff

I understand that, I was planning on a sprung full face. but I was just making sure you meant sprung 6puck, what about the clutches with two friction materials?

Quoting Terry Posten:
The heavier PP is desired for max power connection but you may not want to push it in in stop-ngo traffic to long.

The 2100 PP would still hold plenty of power.

But call ACT and ask them what they think. After all, they are the experts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Basicly, a sprung 6 puck is fine for DD. You just have to raise the rpm engagement a few hundred.

DO NOT get a solid hub unless you want a very harsh ride (as a DD).

Me and a friend have been getting our own clutches made for some time now. Equal to a 2600 or more. Its a heavy duty PP and a 6 puck unsprung hub. I had one in my 363whp sentra, it was a daily driver. A little chatter if you dont engage it right, but not bad at all. I had a similar one made for the galant but i have yet to get the car on the road so i cant comment on how it will act.

Now my sentra was a cable driven clutch, granted it took a strong leg to DD it, the galant being hydraulic i suspect it to act just fine properly driven. Cost of our clutches, 200. CHEAP!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts