The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#218's winter facelift....

Ok, here we go... I figure that I am tired enough of this ugly engine bay to do something about it. When I bought the car, the guy who put it together did so in a hurry and didn't finish things the way I like. So, I am going to spend the next month or so cleaning it up, and since i got my wife a new camera for Christmas, i might as well document.

Here are some before shots, I will update as I go along.

Im not sure what to do with it now. It has been blasted as well as the I/C piping and a bunch of other stuff. Dont know what color to go with. I was thinking either black or bronze with polished letters.

any suggestions?

speedyvr4

I personally like the look of funtionality on a machine so I'm not big on flashy parts. I would either go satin Black valve cover with bronze letters, or a shaved VC completely in bronze. I would repaint the IC piping satin black as well. I would also follow with a JM fabrications exhaust manifold cover.You might have to cut it a little so your wastegate fits but oh well. follow suit with painting the AFPR in either black or dark silver as well, maybe silver bottom and black top for the AFPR. Then, I would relocate to the filter housing the oil pressure gauge sender. I would switch all my AN lines to black/silver combo like you have on your fuel line as well. Make some nicer looking brakets for the coil pack and afpr. Put your WB o2 box somwhere not visible or bracketed cleaner too.I would also at least run a clear top timing belt cover as well. I'd be a shame for your motor to suffer a a catastrofie because one of your ignition wires decided to take a trip with the timing components. thats basicly it.thats my 2psi.

speedy,
you pretty much went down the line of what I want to do.
I am still thinking of only polishing the letters

Here are a few things after I blasted them.

and a shot of the engine bay, still need to do A LOT!

here's the kinda thing Im talking about... this is a great connection for the boost gauge, just stuff the line in a vacuum hose, plug the unused connection and zip-tie the crap out of it. Irritating.

Here a couple other pics.

Im thinking about keeping this the natural finish, does anyone know away to do that but not have prints and dirt on it? Just shoot clear?

Here is the CAS cap cleaned up a little

Here is BOV after a 1500 grit and never-dull. Still have to polish it with the buffers and jewlers rouge.

icurunnin

man to bad you arent my neighbor. I would be over a lot with beer for your....... services?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
the blasting portion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

I think thats something one dud should never say to another dude....... riiight..

Yeah, blasting makes all the difference in the world. We will see how it turns out when their done, i'm NOT a painter.

beaner

Make sure you remove the baffles from the valve cover to clean out the media behind them before putting it back on your ride.

turbowop

Couple of ideas...

Reroute your battery relocation cable to run through the grommet that passes through the firewall into the area above the passenger front fenderwell, then clean up the way all the old battery terminal stuff mounts as well.

Install some vinyl vacuum caps on the throttle body instead of those looped tubes.

Beaner- yeah, I am cleaning all the baffles with solvent.

Turbo- You guys seem to be reading my mind, as I was planning on doing just that.

What does everyone thing about a hard-line vacuum system that runs the perimeter of the engine bay (on 3 sides anyways) with ports so you can run very short rubber lines to all the accessories?

Last edited by a moderator:

Here is a pic of the Valve cover after paint. I still have to strip the letters and polish them.

v/c done, just have to clean up a few little scuffs.
painting the i/c tubes tonight.

I would have more done, but it is 5 deg for the high today, and colder tomorrow....

Wife is getting tired of parts on kitchen table /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I/C pipe and T/B adaptor done.

Sorry about this being a stupid pic post so far, but hopefully it will warm up a touch so I can get to work on the fun stuff under the hood.

Diego

i wanna see this happen.. hell im only an hour away ill bring beer and we can sit back n chat..

it is coming along a little better, I have make a mount from solid aluminum for the FPR to get rid of the goofy bracket. I might be buying a COP setup to clean up all that. I am trying to determine what I should do with the power wires and fuse boxes and such. I need to get the inner fender out to see if there is room to do much. I have also noticed a bunch of crap on the firewall I need to clean up and relocate. I am also working on a way to hard pipe all the vacuum lines to manifolds so I would only have 6-8" of rubber lines to all the accessories.

got a present in the mail today. This should clean up some of the stuff.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts