The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

TURBO OPINION?

I was just looking at different turbo kits. i came across Punishment Racing's kit of the Garrett GT35R kit. i have a descently built motor and i think it would be able to hold a pretty big turbo. just curious what opinions you guys and gals have. what turbo would you go with if money almost wasnt an issue?... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

CP

What is your intended use for the car? Daily driver, drag queen, road racer?

def not a track/drag car. for the most part just a car to play with a few days a week. im sure ill still be riding in the summer and have another car/truck to drive when i need to but, i would love to jump into a full interior vr4 and have it just boogie out!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

atc250r

Staff member
What are your HP goals? Pump gas or race gas? How much are you looking to spend? Why do you capitalize the title in all of your threads? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

John

Last edited:

my goal was 400hp to the wheels at one point, so i guess about that, mainly on pump gas and once in awhile throw race gas in. im not sure why i always do that in my posts. i can try going to meetings or take medication to help me stop. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

atc250r

Staff member
A bolt on 50 trim would probably put you right where you want to be assuming you've got all the supporting mods.

John

CarRacer

What does a "50 trim" translate to in the Garrett numbering system? I know it's a pretty broad term, but I was curious.

yeah im trying to learn all the trim numbers too. i dont have anything crazy as motor wise. i think the main basics. 9.5 JE pistons,lightened crank,eagle h-beam rods,280 cams with built head,ported, full exhaust,safcII, and ill wait on injectors when i decide what turbo to get /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Quote:
9.5 JE pistons

Wouldn't be my choice for a pumpgas car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif You're going to have to pull a ton of timing up top, IMHO.

89coltgt

You may want to take a look into the holset hx35/40 turbos. It sound like the smaller 35 would be perfect for you, and guys that use them say they spool like a 16g /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif They are capable of ~500 whp.

To be honest, I have a SBR GT14BB, which is right between a garret 30/35 ,and it spools NOTHING like a 16g car (I had a clipped B16G on another DSM. My car comes on full tilt at about 4500 rpm (25psi + 91 octane)and made 359 to the wheels on a mustang dyno (514 at 35psi + 116).

My 16g, even with a clipped wheel was at 18psi by 3200ish.

I would get like a GT30 and have some real fun on the top end, but still a good spool (should be about 3,800.)

Just my .02

On another note, I dont know much about the HX35 holsets besides I have one on my cummins, and it works like a charm, full boost by about 1900 rpms! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif j/k. They are a durable turbo, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

dsmer06

Quoting 89coltgt:
You may want to take a look into the holset hx35/40 turbos. It sound like the smaller 35 would be perfect for you, and guys that use them say they spool like a 16g /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif They are capable of ~500 whp.

The hx35 would be a great choice in my opinion. You can get them used for practically nothing from the Cummins guys who upgrade. Throw on a Mitsubishi housing, and have it rebuilt.

Quoting CarRacer:
What does a "50 trim" translate to in the Garrett numbering system? I know it's a pretty broad term, but I was curious.

A 50 trim is a Garrett compressor wheel and term and it is much older than the newer units that have 4 digit descriptions. As with any turbo the frame (T3, T3/T4 or T4), BB or non BB, along with the number of turbine wheels and housings available make the term "50 trim" a broad generic term that only takes into account the compressor wheel. Hopefully that made sense.

Daryl

atc250r

Staff member
IMHO those cams are going to hurt you more than help you if 400hp is your goal. They move the power band so high up in the rpm's that you're going to make a bunch of power but only for a very narrow range. I made like 390 on pump with 264's and a stock intake manifold on a Mustang Dyno. I have an SCM61 (much bigger than the average 50 trim) so I figured I'd try a set of BC280's. Within 6 months they were sold and I went to a 264/272 combo. I would have gone to straight 272's but the deal on what I got was too good to pass up. If you could find someone who wanted to trade your 280's for some 272's or even 264's you'd have a car that is much more enjoyable to drive on the street and will still make the power you're after.

John

evo3 evo3! i swear the evo3 is the most fun on the streets and it is all useable power. Mine makes 20psi around 3200 or less. No need for a big ass 35r on the streetz.

ok,if my cams are going to move the start of my power band higher say 4000 or so? with my head, wont my redline be around 9k or even higher? i know i know its beating on the motor, but thats what i built the car for. to take the abuse.

^^^^^ On a street car there should be no need to run your car at 9K + RPM to make useable power especially 400 whp, unless you have a NA car. You can make good power with the cams that John recommended and still have good midrange torque. If you're looking to make 400 whp and you're not concerned about where in the RPM band the car reaches peak torque then stick with the 280's and get a GT35R.

Typically the turbo you choose will dictate where your powerband is and you would choose your cams based on the turbo and its characteristics, not the other way around.

Daryl

Rausch

Think of the cam choices as sort of a sliding scale for power delivery, the bigger the cam the further up the rev band they 'come on' or will make more/peak power. Bear in mind that you will lose bottom end power/torque the further you slide up the scale.

I also vote either smaller cams or big turbo (if you keep the cams, and the bottom end can handle big boost.)...Thikn you'll be happy with either, they just accomplish things differently. Torque, especially down low, is really what makes a car 'fun' on the street.

Lonewolf64

Quoting chris:
evo3 evo3! i swear the evo3 is the most fun on the streets and it is all useable power. Mine makes 20psi around 3200 or less. No need for a big ass 35r on the streetz.

I have to agree with Chris. HKS 264/264 with full bolt on evo3 setup is more fun than just about any other setup for the street. It is more fun than my brother's built motor/FP red turbo combination if you ask me.

i really dont think it will bother me if the power band is higher. id just always be in a lower gear than the other guy. yeah i had a feeling i went backwards with the cam/turbo purchase. id just hate to try and swap the 280's with someone or try and sell them for 272's. i still think im going to try these cams and feel for myself. worse case i sell/trade them and go to a smaller cam setup.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned