The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Will coilovers for a 90 eclipse gsx work on a 91 vr-4?

JamesFoster

I've got a 90 gsx and I'm going to be swapping everything from that to the vr-4 shell I bought from kcpaz, anybody know if my tein ss coilovers will fit, or will I have to buy different ones?

while on this subject, what parts will NOT swap over?

EMX5636

The rears will fit, the fronts use a different top mounting hat. You can either get the correct Tein mount for a VR4, or drill new holes in the strut tower to get yours to work. I've seen it done both ways. It just comes down to cleaner vs. cheaper.

Justin

As far as the other stuff. Most everything will fit. 5-lug swap, brakes, exhaust if you lengthen it a few inches, almost everything drivetrain etc.

JamesFoster

Awesome, thanks for the info man.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I think it has been discussed before that the 1g rear coilovers may be too short for the VR4 and not provide enough adjustability in all circumstances.

i used to own a 91 vr4, and i used cheapy coilovers on my, it is a very low drop and i had to raise the rear all the way up just to level it out. it is a severe drop but looks clean as hell( ps i likem low)

Quoting iceman69510:
I think it has been discussed before that the 1g rear coilovers may be too short for the VR4 and not provide enough adjustability in all circumstances.

no, it will be fine.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif Tein SS-P 90 GGSX

Last edited by a moderator:

atc250r

Staff member
Quoting SGTdave:
no, it will be fine.

I have to disagree with you Dave, it won't be fine but it will work. TurboRich1946 has DSM Teins on his car and when you put it on a lift there is only about 1 inch of droop when the rear wheels come off the ground. When you go over whoops in the road the rear tires can lose contact with the road and if you are in the middle of a turn the car could conceivably spin around. Rich's car is level because the rear adjusters were cranked all the way up, which puts way too much pre-load on the springs. At the very least, you should put the correct rate springs for a GVR4 in the back but that won't solve the fact that the rear struts are too short overall. That being said, on a nice smooth road Rich's car handles quite well but here in the north east we have more than our fair share of not so smooth roads.

John

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
That's what I was getting at. They may fit and sit OK, but you have liitle to no adjustment left and performance is not necessarily as expected as Cy has also reported.

JamesFoster

well then I guess I'll sell them and get vr4 specific ones.

what about the ebay D2 coilovers. does anyone have them?

Last edited by a moderator:

EMX5636

D2 and K-Sport (and most of megan's IIRC) are made with the same strut components. Just sprung and valved differently. I was going to get D2's until I came up on a deal on a set of K-Sports. GL.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned