The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help! Battery Terminal Fuse Box

Dan D

Can someone run out and measure the resistance to chassis from the fuse box that mounts to the battery terminal (without the battery connected).

I'm doing a battery relo today and I was checking things out once I got the wire layed out. The fuse box to chassis is only a couple ohms. Problem is i don't know if that's normal, what it was before, or if I damaged something.

12V nearly short to ground sounds like a bad idea. Please help!

Thanks

Dan D

Son of a... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I wasted most of my afternoon chasing a BS problem. I traced the short down to the seatbelt sub-circuit. I applied 12 volts from a current limited supply and cycled the seatbelts. Once they went open closed open, the short went away. Turns out one of the relays must have gotten stuck when I unplugged the battery. Looks good now.

curtis

At least you found it...
While your at it run an extra large gauge wire from the alternator to the fuse box the factory one is small and also another to the starter from the fuse box. These two I could really tell a difference how fast the car turned over. The extra on the alternator and starter came from a grand vitara harness I ended up with.
Run a large gauge from the +pos battery to the fusebox and also run a large gauge -neg from the battery up front you can ground the battery in the rear and a few places along the way up front then where ever you connect the neg up front also run a bunch of short gounds from it (tbody, head, trans, firewall, coil, intake radiator support etc. The more the better.

On mine I used a stereo system distribution block up front that has like 6 different connections for the pos and have it isolated with a piece of phenolic resin board and the ground has a sidepost screw in battery connection post bolted to inter fender well.

Listed all this not to consider anyone couldn't do it but the battery relocation kits that don't return a ground forward can mask crazy intermittent problems down the road. You can buy welders cable that have the million little strands of wire and large gauge speaker wire and build a kit better than any you can buy. Just have to shell out the big dollars for the wire.

curtis

Forgot to add any car I've ever installed extra grounds on has picked up between 1.5 and 2.5 mph on the interstate. In the VR4 it was hard to measure because of driving conditions....high speed runs hurt.... but the wife's 2 suvs both showed improvements.

ebay ground wire kits

Now this kit has a voltage stabilizer..... ebay some of these are nothing but a light and have weak systems inside this one has large capacitors and they do work, its the same one I have on mine. I could actually tell the car idled better and did seam like the charging system was working better. 2 years ago these were close to 100 dollars now there cheap.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned