The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

oil filter stud

I don't know if anyone is keeping score, but my oil filter stud backed out on the highway!!! So, I thread locked it on the shoulder of the highway, added oil and limped it home. Tomorrow I get to investigate the severity!

maroonmetallic

I think that threadlock is part of the Mitsu roadside assistance package found in most portable (trunk able) toolboxes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

-Shawn

Barnes

Lol @ maroon.

Hopefully since you were able to drive it home you are okay.

Probably not a bad idea to redo what you did on the side of the highway. A new o-ring(big orange thing) for the oil cooler is also highly recommended.

So getting on the "accelerator ramp" I felt my 4WS kick a little to hard, by the time I looked out the mirror I saw a cloud of smoke and an Oil trail! By the time I got on the shoulder and looked @ the dash the idiot light was illuminating.

Medium strenght threadlocker in the center console @ all times!!!

I got a friend to pick me up @ about 3:30, went to the local dealer, no O-ring, drove to the a dealer w/ 1 in stock ~ 1hour away and was told "it is for a job, not for sale!!!" Then @ 7:15, I found a Hydrolic Repair shop still open and got an O-ring to match. This was the 1st time since I've owned a DSM (um, like 6 years now) that i haven't had a tool kit in my car, FTL. So I got my friend to take me to Pep Boys bought 5 qts of oil and "permanent thread locker." Stopped @ my house and grabbed deep 24mm, strap wrench, A big cardboard box (poor man's disposable creeper), jack and flashlights. I got it all back 2gether and limped her home a couple of miles.
Looks like I need to get a '90 oil housing and an Aftermorket Oil Pressure Gauge. After 6 post '90 DSMs, this is my 1st to have that stud back out.

BTW, the O-ring was in perfect condition. So i spent the rest of the night drinking and shooting a pistol @ my friends.

Last edited by a moderator:

GVR4_1057

^"So i spent the rest of the night drinking and shooting a pistol @ my friends"

So the question is were you too drunk to hit any of them? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

NYC86ZC

Welcome to the club. #541 was only on the road for 20 hours before it unscrewed.

That reminds me that i never threadlocked #761's....

Quote:
So the question is were you too drunk to hit any of them?

More like not drunk enough!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts