The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

It's Done

atc250r

Staff member
#1552 is destined for the junkyard:

DSC02184.jpg

DSC02185.jpg

DSC02186.jpg

DSC02187.jpg

DSC02189.jpg

DSC02190.jpg

I was getting ready to drop the front subframe a little to make it easier to install new rear brake lines. When I got to the passenger front bolt I noticed the frame rail looked really crusty, I poked at it a little and by the time I was done I had that. I'm guessing that at some point (before I bought it) the battery puked acid all over the frame rail. Its a shame because the rest of the body is in nice shape. I don't know if I'm going to start looking for a shell to swap my stuff into or just part it out altogether. Once I've got something locked in I'll start a thread selling off the parts that I'm not using. In any case, RIP #1552.

John

GIjoe

Dayum! sorry to see that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

boostx

That sucks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif... And all the salt up north does not help..

turbowop

Back when I first bought 1051 I noticed some rust forming from a battery that leaked prior to me buying the car. I nipped that in the bud then and there and haven't had an issue since. Rust is a serious bitch and needs to be taken care of asap when found. That sucks. Hope you can find a clean shell to swap all your goodies over.

G

Staff member
Ouchies, start looking for one down souf or sw !

steve

Oh sh*t. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif RIP 1552

Flip4G63

Quoting G:
Ouchies, start looking for one down souf or sw !

no.. lol you guys keep taking the clean cars and then rocking the salty roads with em. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

just joking. keep good care of the next one. a long weekend of pulling everything out and undercoating and sealing saves a car!!!

sorry to here that dude /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif! good luck finding a new shell.

ktmrider

Holy rusted metal Batman.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif
May she RIP and be reborn in another ( good ) shell.

Lonewolf64

This kind of an end to a car brings tears to my eyes. Cancer is a terrible way to go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

This sucks.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
This is no way to go for a gvr4.....

That's some pretty bad rust issue, you've got there....
It would be do-able to make this 'right' again, but there would be quite some time(and money) involved, that it wouldn't be interesting. Buying another shell is way more interesting.
If you lived near me, and would bring the car to the junkyard, i would surely saved it, and put a lot of time and money in it, to at least try to 'revive' it. But unfortanely, you don't live close/near me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rest in Peace; #1552 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

atc250r

Staff member
Thanks. I'm still weighing my options. I could cut the side and bottom of the frame rail off of any E33 Galant in the junkyard, cut the side and bottom off of mine, and have my buddy weld the new piece in but I don't think its worth all the trouble. I'm really tempted to just part the car out and buy a newer, bigger boat. I'll see what happens. First thing is finding out from DMV if I can take the car off the road without turning in the vanity plates. NY makes you turn plates in if you take insurance off the car but I'd rather not return the plates only to pay for them again if I get another GVR4 in the next couple of months. I have a "portable garage" that I need to put together, I might just put the car in there until the spring and deal with it then.

John

curtis

Man thats amazing, come down south and well find you a donar base model front end. But hows the rest of the car? is the rust that bad in the back.

atc250r

Staff member
That section (the RF) is by far the worst of it. The doors are OK but nothing to brag about, the floors are solid, and the back bumper support is a little crusty on the bottom. The thing I noticed with these cars is that most of the common rot areas are covered by plastic. Rocker panels, bottom rear of front fenders, bottoms of doors, bottom of quarter panels behind rear tires, are all covered with some type of plastic skirt, cladding, or bumper. If I could cut out that section and replace it I'd do that but I don't know. I've got a pile of parts that need to go on the truck before the winter and a million things to do around the house as well. I might just store the car for the winter and tear into it in the spring with either a driveline swap, patch the frame, or if I'm smart I'll part the damn thing out and buy a newer/bigger boat for the whole family to just relax on in the summer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

John

deez

I think at that point I would rally the sh*t out of it before I scrapped it. Might as well have some fun beating it first /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sorry for your loss

I don't know about the plates either, it is like $8 everyday you are in possesion of the plates w/o insurance.

your best bet is to turn 1 in and say the other was destroied in an accident or it was stolen, IMO

blacksheep

Time for an Evo, John...Its time. Lets do this - take my hand and we'll walk together. Have faith in me, son! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts