The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Paint color?

pachood_1953

I know this subject has probably been beaten to death, but Im planning on painting the G this winter.
And as for starters, I work for a body shop, and went to school for this junk, so it will be proper paint and body work.

Anyways, my theme from day 1 has been gold on black, and that was the initial plan for paint since I started working with color. It was going to be either all black, on black wheels w/ a gold lip, or 2 toned (split by the door handles) on black wheels.

Now, I think it may turn out to be a little too gaudy, and I fell in love with another color /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

I have been planning on doing it an ugly color, because these cars look horrible (IMO) with bright flashy colors.

I have been wanting to paint a vehicle with Porsche's (brown) Macadamia Metallic.. And I think it may be pretty fitting on this car..or make it look like a flying TURD..But, that would make my engine bay look worse than it does now, although Im able to change the colors up under there if I have too. I will have a different intake on it eventually, so all that will be left is the BOV, Comp housing, And 2g elbow..Its all powder coat so its going to be fairly irreversible..

Here is the color:

brownmacadamiamettalic3.jpg

brownmacadamiamettalic.jpg

And here is what influenced me:

2008porschemacadamiametallic.jpg

2008porschemacadamiametallic3.jpg

I like this color a little more, but I dont have a paint code or name for it..:(

015.jpg

Im keeping it pretty much stock exterior. I will probably throw on kamil's oem style hood and trunk, and maybe paint most of it, maybe split it up, I dont know.

And here is what Im working with/against:

IMG_0969.jpg

IMG_0971.jpg

Its pretty beat up

Engine:
IMG_0979.jpg

Yes its filthy..I just got it back on its feet, so I havent had a chance to clean/paint/hide wires/match couplers etc..

Any input or color suggestions would be great. Im not stubborn on the color, its just been on my mind for the past ~1-2 years.

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
Yeah, i like that color too. May want to hold off on the wheels until it's done though!

sixsixtwo

go for it! it's definitely something different and since it will be done right it'll look sweet. never have been too fond of the stock colors..

turbowop

It looks like your Tein camber plates are on the wrong sides? L is on the passenger side and R is on the driver's side?

You'll be able to get a lot more negative camber if you flip those around.

I like the color, but moreso on aggressive bodied cars like the Porsche, not so much on the Jetta. I'm not sure how it'll look on a gvr4. Definitely won't look bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

Gvr4-330

A bit off topic, but how do you keep the Tein plates looking new? Mine are showing corrosion.

Rob

Gimpin

GM uses a similar color on thier GMCs and Buicks ... its called Medium Brown Metalic .... look hot

pachood_1953

Quoting turbowop:
It looks like your Tein camber plates are on the wrong sides? L is on the passenger side and R is on the driver's side?

You'll be able to get a lot more negative camber if you flip those around.

I like the color, but moreso on aggressive bodied cars like the Porsche, not so much on the Jetta. I'm not sure how it'll look on a gvr4. Definitely won't look bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I was rushing the job because it was my last thing to do and I didnt even realize it until I was going to adjust them...but at that point I didnt care because I was planning doing the 5 lug swap soon anyways, so I would have them back out.

Im still kind of up in the air about the color on a gvr4, it might look really out of place and 80's.

Quoting Gvr4-330:
A bit off topic, but how do you keep the Tein plates looking new? Mine are showing corrosion.

Rob

Mine have 40 miles on them...I might clear coat them when I have them out again.

Quoting Gimpin:
GM uses a similar color on thier GMCs and Buicks ... its called Medium Brown Metalic .... look hot

I will look into it. I know honda was using a nice mocha brown on their elements a while ago.

I have a kind of neat green-brown candy pearl that was supposed to be the color, but I did a spray out and it looked awful, it turned out bright green and red.

I'v also thrown around doing a 2 tone with black and a deep cherry red metallic

I kind of thought about doing 2 tone black, with a fire red metal flake, then chase over the entire car with a gun metal candy pearl..so it just barely shines through

Im going to do alot of spray outs before I paint the car.

Quote:
I will look into it. I know honda was using a nice mocha brown on their elements a while ago.

IMO, i really like the honda color... we just painted 1 @ the bodyshop i work @ in march, if you put a dark pearl in it, it really pops

pachood_1953

Quoting blacksheep:
the element color you refer to was on the SC and called rootbeer metallic....

\

I just searched honda-tuners and I really dig that color. Maybe throw a little rootbeer pearl over it or something..I might mix up a 1/2 pint and start playing with it..

I also have a bunch of GLOW pigments /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I should just paint the whole car white with a blue glow in the dark.

Some junk i have laying around I could play with

IMG_0989.jpg

Rootbeer metallic:
rootbeermetallic2.jpg

rootbeermetallic3.jpg

rootbeermetallic6.jpg

There's an S15 in Aus that is the colour you are looking at too. These pics don't really show it too well though..

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned