The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

582 tear down Intercooler update!

a2vr4

So after a nice summers nap 582 is finally getting some much needed attention. Last spring the timing belt lost a few "ribs"(if you will) causing some sort of head trauma, and me to lose faith in her for the entire summer. But now after a lot of thoughts of selling or setting her on fire, I have come back around. Do to my very limited budget my p.o.a is: Full tear-down, inspection/evaluation, as-inexpensive-as-possible stock rebuild with mild mods. I have a nice pile of goodies for her, but I don't have the sufficient funds to do all I would like to do just yet. Anyway, not terribly exciting, but it sure will be nice to drive her again!
I will get some photos up tomorrow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
~Brian

Last edited:

14bCrazy

I was in your shoes. Lets see that was.... 4 or 5 years ago. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif The good news is that the long journey is almost over. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

a2vr4

I pulled the engine tonight, it was surprisingly painless /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Next time will be the engine tear-down. Now if brothers computer works with me here, I will post some images of the excitement!(or something like that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif)
~Brian

...no dice. Maybe my computer will have better luck.
...to be continued... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

MarsBars

hey brian its good to see 582 is going to get a new heart. I was wondering what the hell happened to you

a2vr4

Quote:
I was wondering what the hell happened to you

Yeah me too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Has anyone else had trouble uploading pictures to the forum in the last few days? I Have tried on different computers, with no luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I will post a link to pictures if I can't figure it out.
~Brian

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Are you loading jpg?

a2vr4

Quote:
Are you loading jpg?

Yes, is this good or the problem?
~Brian

ktmrider

^^ Only .bmp is on the bad list.
Also make sure your pics are UNDER 2meg. I had to re-size a bunch of pics to get them to load, most were like 2.1M and would not work.

a2vr4

I haven't gotten back to work on her again yet, but here are some pictures, nothing to exciting, but at least its progress /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. click and see I hope to start cleaning and tearing the motor down this week, but working 6 days doesn't lend to well, so we'll see.
~Brian

Last edited:

a2vr4

I got to work on her again last night, and I got the head pulled off. Looks like all the intake valves hit pistons, but I'm not sure how badly they are bent, but in the end that doesn't matter too much as I have an other fresh head to go on. Now the tops of he pistons have quite a bit of sh*t built up on top but the cylinders look ok, I'm planning on taking the short block to a machine shop hopefully next week to get a second opinion, and probably get talked into getting everything cleaned up getting her bored out and getting fresh pistons. I added pictures from last night, that can be seen in the link I posted before. If anyone has any advice or comments please post them!
~Brian

a2vr4

Holy sh*t it has been a hell of a slow moving process, but 582 is off jackstands and out of my garage! I'm finishing up miscellaneous tasks; painting brackets and such, then tomorrow it is off to Thompson Racing Fabrication where I will drop the motor in this week! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif All I can say is it will be so good to drive her again! I have many picture of the year+ build, but never had the time to posts them, and now they seem a little irrelevant, but I will have photos of the engine going in, and now just to celebrate a few from jackstands to driveway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
~Brian

P.s. don't hold how much random sh*t is in my poor shop, I am still in the process of finding homes for all my sh*t after movinin out of the ex-lady's spot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

a2vr4

Wow so today has been quite a day. After finally getting her loaded up with everything ready to go(hours or work alone) I start out on the freeway, and not two miles into my trip the trailer starts to sway hard on me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif I tried to slow down and the trailer brakes lock up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif The trailer swings hard right then left hitting the concrete median and turning the truck 180* and leaving me facing oncoming traffic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I maniged to get them off to the side to inspect the damage: two wheels on the drivers side of the trailer are toast, little road rash on the leading and tail corners on the drivers side of the trailer, one wheel on 528 is toast, and finally the passengers side rear quarter panel of the truck kissed the trailer on one of its swerves. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif All things considered I'm damn lucky, and 582 is out of my garage, just on the side of the road till tomorrow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif Now for a little bit of random luck, a fellow in a Mercedes blew a tire about 100yds back from where the truck was sitting, so being the helpful person I run over and help him change his wheel, he gives me $50! So long ass day, but a lot to be thankful for. Here are some pictures.
~Brian

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Unbelievable. Sorry man. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

a2vr4

Thanks Ice, I really can't believe it myself! Monday: After removing the trailer wheels, I found the culprit: for some unknown-ungodly reason my grandfather (who owns the truck/trailer) had passenger tires NOT trailer tires on the trailer, and the rear drivers side tire blew, which in turn caused the swerving /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Once I got the wheels off I went to discount tire to get a new set, they found what i needed right away, and I was in and out in less then 1.5 hrs! Call up the state boys and inform them that I will be needing their assistance to get my truck/trailer turned around and head back to the freeway, only to find that the wheels are the wrong lug pattern /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif so I call off the state boys, and head back to discount tire to see if they have what I need. Once I get there we conclude that the hubs are 5-5, not the common 5-4.5, and that they only have one wheel in stock, I just about lost it. But after an hour or so more searching and calling they found another one! so back to the freeway to get the trailer fixed up and wait for the state boys. He gets there looks at the situation with us closes one lane, after some ballsy and well done maneuvering into then out of the ditch I'm rolling again! But I smell burning rubber, so I stop in a parking lot to look things over and find something I had missed on the side of the freeway: the leaf spring mounts on the trailer have bent .5-1in. causing the new tires to rub on the fenders, two ratchet straps later I'm back on the road, got the trailer back with car to my uncles house then is a mad rush to get to work on time. Tuesday: Picked up the truck/trailer/car and deliver the car to Thompson Racing Fabrication, taking the back way this time, goes relatively smoothly, then off to work again. Now that the car is at it's intended destination, I can worry about getting the truck and trailer fixed up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Got to pull the rear quarter on the truck, get the leaf spring mounts back to square, and get the other two tires replaced with trailer tires. It seems the saga has found its way back to the path, but there's still a lot of work to be done.
~Brian

a2vr4

Here are some more pictures for y'all:
New Wheels/tires

Nice perspective shot

I wish I would have gotten a better shot of this, but you can see the truck is level, the trailer is at a relatively extreme pitch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Uncles truck with state boy cruiser behind

Target: home of ratchet straps and limeaid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

582 safely at TRF

Rear quarter damage

Passenger side

Drivers side(concrete median impact side)

Wheel carnage

4Grim

Could of been much worse but it wasn't and that is good to see and glad you are alright. I couldn't imagine what you were thinking when all that went down. I am a bit surprised the GVR4 managed to stay on the trailer after all that happened....that Galant was hanging on for dear life not wanting to go out like that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

a2vr4

Yeah as you can see in the pictures she slid as far as the fender would let her, but I'm glad the straps held strong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif I ordered the rest of the parts to get the motor in the car today, flywheel is being refinished. All that is left to buy is oil cooler lines/hardware, intercooler pipe material, wheels and tires! Hope to have her going by my birthday(next week) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Tomorrow I will be taking the axles off the trailer and trying to straighten the spring mounts, any one have a method to recommend? Thanks for reading y'all, and I'll keep updating as i go.
~Brian

a2vr4

Well it has been a few months, plenty of mishaps and hold ups, but remarkably 582 is on the ground! No longer officially JSB, but now of course she wont start, and I can't find my palm interface software /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif (Palm100's loose everything when the battery's die or get bumped) So it looks like she wont drive on Christmas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif but the next few days should she her on the road. Recap on new parts: fresh stock rebuild engine(entire longblock), miscellaneous new engine bay bits, fresh brakes all round, Ingalls adjustable rear control arms, fresh ball-joints, fresh endlinks, and coming soon 18g, and custom fmic, then when summer rolls around '91 3si vr4 17"s wrapped in to-be purchased rubber. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Holyrun-onsentence! Anyway, just wanted to catch y'all up!
Happy holidays everyone!
~Brian

a2vr4

582 just left the garage for the first time in since July 2009! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Eatin a little then going for the first drive! Thats all, hope everyone is having a great day!
~Brian

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts