The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

tjZ06's '91 GVR4 Build

Okay... I figured the car deserved a project thread now that I'm actually working on it and making some progress.

Background: the car was a 1 owner car until about a month before I got it. The guy I bought the car from knew the previous owner (his friend's dad) and finally talked him into selling it after watching the car sit in a garage the last ~3 years. Trying to do the right thing he took the car directly to a shop to get a t-belt and water pump done. Well, the shop was a bunch of hacks and completely botched the job. Thus far I've found they:[*]Had both cams off a tooth or two[*]F'ed the oil pan[*]Probably are responsible for the smashed up IC, but at best they failed to diagnosis it.[/list]Of course, the good news about them botching the job so bad was the previous owner sold it to me way too cheap. :naughty:;)

So, here it is, a 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 with 107k original miles on it:
Garrrrant1.jpg

Garrrrant6.jpg

Garrrrant4.jpg

Garrrrant2.jpg

Garrrrant1.jpg

So, on to my plans and the pile 'o parts I've accumulated for it. Basically, I want to make an overall fun, competent street car that I can AutoX from time to time (ie when it's raining) and run with some friends on the amazing driving around around here (often the Z06 is just too much for those types of drives, I'm at 3/10ths and everybody else is at 8/10ths and it's just boring).

Here's what I've picked up for the GVR4 so far:
[*]Re-Capped and DSM-Linked ECU[*]GM MAF[*]MAF-T (w/ extended harness etc) [*]Custom FMIC & Piping[*]EvoIII 16g[*]DSM GT mani (tapped for EGT) [*]EvoIII o2 Housing[*]Denso 660 injectors[*]AFPR[*]HKS 264/272 Cams[*]Cusco Front LSD[*]Poly Rear Subframe & Mustache Bar Bushings[*]Walbro 255[*]3" DP & Muffler to build my exhaust w/[*]Short Shifter[*]Full gauge setup for stock double din location, mounts single din head unit and 3 gauges (Oil pres, EGT, Beeewst).[/list]

Things I have deals pending for:
[*]4 Bolt LSD Rear Diff[*]Fresh Rotors/Pads/SS Lines all around[/list]

Here’s what I know I still need: [*]Clutch (ACT 2600)[*]ARP Head Studs[*]OEM Headgasket[*]Full Poly Bushing Kit/Motor Mounts[*]Probably some ball-joints and tie-rod ends[*]Springs/Shocks (was thinking AGX's w/ Ground Controls, but hear mixed reviews)[/list]

Some pics of getting to work:
gettingtowork.jpg

F'ed up oil pan:
oilpan.jpg

Compression checks:
compression1.jpg

compression2.jpg

Back together (yes, I need a new timing cover):
backtogether.jpg

Blown-out IC:
blownoutic.jpg

In the gheeeeeeto, in the ghhhhhhhhhhhhhheeetoooo:
ghetto.jpg

(don't worry I didn't drive much or put it into boost w/ no IC, just for idle/light test drive purposes)

Current state:
sits.jpg

So, now that it's running good it's time to get to modding!

-TJ

Last edited by a moderator:

4Grim

Overall from the pics..the GVR4 actually looks like its in good shape. Since the stock i/c is messed up...gives you a great reason to upgrade to a bigger more efficient FMIC, probably a Evo 8/9 FMIC...which is probably good for what you want out of the car. There are some great members here that can give you some great advice and help with these GVR4's...alot of what I have done to my car is from information on this board.

Looks like that GVR4 has some nice cars as company. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Whats with the partial red intake manifold and red fuel rail? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Last edited:

Not sure about the intake/fuel rail.

And only the Z06, IS250 and GVR4 are mine. The FD is a housemate's.

-TJ

turbowop

The stock intercooler is such a joke, that piece of pipe is probably just as good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

More progress, and more broken stuff and evidence of previous shitty work. Got the trans out, half-shafts look pretty toasted, and the bracket on the driver's side half-shaft had one of it's two mounting bolts broken off. Oil pressure sending unit is leaking too. Anyway, pictars:

l_7ba9ec570835428c81c3945993b2294d.jpg

l_acf3c7c009e149bebabfe9a81d4a7131.jpg

l_028da22a60e74a72b7a93c3d4ba40029.jpg

l_beb68f2870fc449795a3b32a1d68ddce.jpg

l_3126353409c34fbb9261233189041ab1.jpg

l_96f7086930894332b0ea53cf574b85a2.jpg

-TJ

ghostinthevr4

You got some work cut out for you. You have an excellent taste in cars. I love that Seven. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned