The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Alternator Heat Shield Completed

CarRacer

I made a heat shield for the alternator today. One caveat on anyone who wants to copy it, the belt wasn't mounted. Future trimming may be needed.

I'll post pics when I get home.

turbowop

This thread sucks. You should have just waited to make the thread until you had the pics ready to go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

CarRacer

It gave you the chance to post whore. :p

The tools I used were pretty simple, left and right tinsnips, sharpie, hammer, tape measure, and a welder.

Here's the shield. I made it out of flat stock steel. I think the stamping was .020. It reasonable thick and resists flexing.
I'm going to bolt it or pop rivet it to the dip stick mounting tab. I don't think that will hold it without letting it rattle around. I'm going to wait to find another mounting point until the belt is mounted and the alternator is in position.

Last edited:

Polish

Looks cool, you gonna coat/paint it?

CarRacer

Yeah, I only had time to mock it up before bible study tonight. I'm going to spray it with semi gloss black engine paint.

Dude you should make more of these and sell them I am down for one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

CarRacer

Not a problem.
Each one will be fifty hundred dollars.

I figured people would want this. I didn't use my tools to make it, so not sure if it would be ok to make more. I'll check it out, it seems a couple people are interested.

cheekychimp

Car racer,

I'm serious. This is a superb accessory. If you need tools put them in the cost. I'll give you $50.00 plus tools.

Edit: I hope you won't ask for a welder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

CarRacer

The tools are my Fathers, so thats not really a problem.

I would have to ask if it's ok to use them though. I'd have to check on materials pricing first. $50 seems a bit high. Let me do some checking.

I may need one of these too. Let us know what you might be wanting for them. Thanks.
Mike R.

Rausch

I see a Harbour Freight press brake in your future!

jepherz

Staff member
Keep in mind that the alternator needs air moving across it to cool as well. I'm wondering if blockage in the front/top will actually be worse for the alt...

Last edited:

Barnes

Good point about cooling but..

Having dissasembled several alternators, I really doubt it would cause a problem the way he has it setup.

jepherz

Staff member
Yeah, just a thought. I do know that a lot of German alternators have cooling inlets with ducting routed to the front of the car, so...

CarRacer

Yeah, I figured blocking the exhaust heat was the greater of 2 evils.

There's also an airgap between the shield and alternator. So I don't believe it will block off the air completely.

I'll definetly take more constructive critiscm though. Thanks Jeff.

JSchleim18

So far sounds like a hit to me. Let me know when they get in production. Good Job!

Quote:
Keep in mind that the alternator needs air moving across it to cool as well. I'm wondering if blockage in the front/top will actually be worse for the alt...

That's a thought. You might consider knocking some holes in the panel that faces toward the front of the car. That keeps the "L" shape intact for rigidity while the large panel between the alt and the exhaust will do most of the heat shielding.
Mike R.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts