The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Who is enterested in dimming LED gauges or any LEDs

Terry Posten

I am having my cousin (owner of Digital Delay Electronics) making a PWM (pulse width modulation) device for my car. This device will be a very simple unit that will have:

__________________________________________________________________________________________
A wire to be hooked to a dash light source (stock dimming bulb wiring) for a trigger

A wire for fixed 1/2 brightness for people that want to have then on all the time but not so bright

Wires hooked to +12 and ground

A wire to be hooked to the LED device
__________________________________________________________________________________________

The "trigger" wire will be set for voltage of 8.5 to 12 volts (stock GVR4 voltage) to allow very dim to full brightness for true look and feel. Just like the dash lighting.

The unit should be about 2" square X 1/2" tall and protected by heat-shrink tubing to keep the cost down and about 12" of wire each sticking out the end for hooking up.

This should work with ANY LED product (e.i. - gauges, dash back-lighting, floor lighting, dome lighting)

The cost should be around $35 +/-$10. I can nail this cost down as it gets closer to finishing my unit (hopefully this coming weekend I should have a working unit in my car).

How many would be interested? If enough are wanting these, I can have a PCB made but if only a few are, I will make them out of "bread board".

mistaVR4

Sounds pretty cool Terry! I would be very interested pending the results of the unit your having made...

maroonmetallic

Im interested.. as long as I don't get charged twice for it.

-Shawn

Terry Posten

For you Shawn, I will only charge you once but it will be at 300%. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Terry Posten

1 small change and it is a much better idea than mine.

Instead of a circuit that dims AND a fixed circuit. It will have just 1 circuit. That circuit will have a brightness control that you can set you maximum brightness when you have the dimmer control all the way up. Then it will dim as you lower the dimmer.

Basicly for those that don't want the gauge to be full bright with the dash full bright (A pillar users will love this).

So if you want the LEDs to be at 75% and the dash at 100%, just adjust the control to be that way and then as you dim the dash, the LEDs dim at the same rate.

More info to come and a prototype to be made this weekend.

maroonmetallic

Im only interested if you'll charge me 400% the typical price. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

-Shawn

Terry Posten

Done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Terry Posten

This weeekend should be possible but pics would be of a prototype and not a finished "packaged" product.

But I could do a video if you want.

I just can't get too carried away. I have a TON of homework. I am in the middle of a 5 week accelerated course and they slam you with work.

But I will try and get it out to you all.

Then you are excused from LED class until this weeked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif. Now go do your homework & get off this site.

Terry Posten

Just got home /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

I am winding down for the night.

I will, however be doing 3 readings tomorrow night (4 Q&A pages each reading), 3 readings Thursday (4 Q&A pages each reading), working in the electronics lab Friday night, coast Saturday, spend Sunday finishing the opinions paper on the 6 readings, and Monday proof read everything for my Tuesday class. This class is "Cultures of the World".

But if it works out, I will have time Saturday to record/edit a quick vid and post up on youtube for your vuewing pleasure. (I hope)

DarkDevilMMM

a simple 555 circuit will do the trick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

oh, just a thought, why not make them a controller with auto brightness with respect to the brightness of the surrounding? Just need to add a photo resistor to the circuit with proper pot for uber coolness /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14u2nV

I want one to change the color of the gauges for two different boost settings,, low boost and high boost. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts