The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ball Joints from Advance

Dan D

Just FYI, the TRW ball joints I just got from advance auto are made in Japan and are tagged MB241883. $20. They come with a circlip with holes also instead of that damn oem one.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Dan, please measure the seating surface diameter and compare to what you are removing.

I found that some of the aftermarket ball joints are undersized for the application.

Dan D

39.82mm on the orignal oem one removed
39.83mm on the new trw

The bottom is marked three-five. If I'm not mistaken, Three-Five makes some parts for MMC under contract.

(no zerk, oem style)

Last edited:

toybreaker

iconoclast
Thank you Dan!!!

Looks like you're good to go.

I've seen some that were undersize, and well, they don't work so well.

Thanks for the post, and another source for the part. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

edit I just saw your edited post. Those are the same units I use, and can also be sourced as a re-box from beck arnley from napa and carquest.

Again, thanks Dan!!!

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Trw makes some good parts. Are oe for some vw, audi, & mercs.

3rdstrikedsm

May wan't to pick up some trw while you still can advance has just switched to moog so just a heads up.

There are no Advance AP here in Oregon. I looked online and the TRW ball joint # is 10371 and it's priced at $53.99ea. I certainly don't want to pay $60 when Dan paid $20. Is this an in-store only deal? Perhaps just your local store has them at that price? Can I get somebody to buy 5 sets of these for us if we can't get the same deal online that Dan did locally?

3rdstrikedsm

I work @ advance so if you need some I can see what I can do about getting the remaining TRW ones.

Pm me with how many you need and what other info I may need.

Dan D

Jesse,

The ones I got for $20.96 I ordered off of Partsamerica.com (advance auto's web arm).

They still show $20.96 for me when I search.

Polish

I used the TRW ball joints as well when I did the control arm refurbish with new poly bushings and such. It's been a while but I recall mine being around $50 for the pair and I remember them being nice quality looking/feeling units. I got rid the the car shortly after but the addition of the new ball joints, tie rod ends, and bushings made a big huge difference on a car with 150k+ miles.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quote:
the TRW ball joints I just got from advance auto are made in Japan and are tagged MB241883. $20

Quote:
The bottom is marked three-five. If I'm not mistaken, Three-Five makes some parts for MMC under contract.

Quote:
can also be sourced as a re-box from beck arnley from napa and carquest.

Quote:
Be sure to check your new units against the old for correct diameter!!!!!!!!

Many of the aftermarket units are TOO SMALL, and they will not have an adequate amount of interference for a proper press fit.

These "555" units have worked for me in over twenty cars, and I've never had an issue with them.

They are available as a beck-arnley re-box from your local chain stores.

I'm working on a how to, but my computer hates me, and ate a lot of the pics from this summer's work sessions.

I'm also running out of cognac...

Quoting Dan D:
Jesse,

The ones I got for $20.96 I ordered off of Partsamerica.com (advance auto's web arm).

They still show $20.96 for me when I search.

Switch the zip code to 97403 and watch the price more than double!! Comes up $20 if I use your zip code but it tells me shipping is not available, only in store pickup. If Chris can't source them for me can you buy/send me 2 sets?

3rdstrikedsm

I am working on sourceing them now.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Jesse, carquest can get these. If they say they can't have them check worldpac (on speed dial), and you should get them cheap, quick, and fast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

They are a re-boxed "555" in a beck arnley box.

Many of the local import warehouses also carry beck arnley.

Last edited:

I'll just skip CarQuest and go to worldpac in that case /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

after phone call...
Except they won't verify the part before they ship it so I might not get what I want /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

toybreaker

iconoclast
You gots teh speedial? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think they list more than one product line.

Please note that at least one of those choices is undersize!!!

I got five sets direct from them awhile back, and it was as painless as it always is when dealing with them. (~$15.35 a unit, bought in bulk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

The guy who owns Carquest bought pac, and now it's kind of confusing who sourcing what from who... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

But, for everybody else, you can get them as a rebox beck arnley from your local chain store.

Just goes to show you how important a good counter guy is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[Broken record] Be absolutley sure you verify the sizing [/broken record]

Dan D

That's ridiculous that there is such a price difference from region to region. If anyone needs them and can't get them for a fair price (through advance or others), I'd be willing to order some and get them to you for the shipping cost from me to you since I live in the magical land of $20 ball joints.

3rdstrikedsm

I have 2 more sets here @ about 23.00 per piece
Once the TRW is gone you won't be able to get them anymore
I bought a set for me and a friend and can sell the last 2 sets @that price.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned