The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

got a new toy in the mail

14u2nV

Now we'll see if I can figure it all out. Anyone had one? Does that sensor replace my stock o2 or is this seperate? what chip will my ecu need now? Still dependent on my injector choice?

strokin4dr

Your o2? Isnt that the same speed density setup that turbowop is running? That is most likely a map sensor that would need to be added to your intercooler piping.

turbowop

Yes, that is the system I've been using for a couple of years now.

That is the GM intake air temperature sensor. It goes in the upper intercooler pipe. The one with the vacuum hose attached is the map sensor.

14u2nV

lol had to throw a couple noob questions in there. I do have a lot of questions with it though. If all goes well I'll be installing it this weekend. Am I missing anything with it? This replaces the stock mas correct, are there any other intake sensors I will need? How do I hook up the wideband part of it? I really wish one of you that knows more about this than me was closer.

Last edited:

turbowop

Quoting 14u2nV:
lol had to throw a couple noob questions in there. I do have a lot of questions with it though. If all goes well I'll be installing it this weekend. Am I missing anything with it? This replaces the stock mas correct, are there any other intake sensors I will need? How do I hook up the wideband part of it? I really wish one of you that knows more about this than me was closer.

It looks like you have all the sensors you need, but I would wait to install it until you get a Keydiver chip to compensate for injectors, etc. It'll just make it easier to set up.

I don't use the wideband tracking feature with it on my car, so I can be of no help to you in that department.

curtis

Ok find a vacuum port on the intake manifold not used.
The 3 bar GM map hooks up there.

The GM air temp sensor goes in the IC pipe somewhere Try and find a place that is straight and put it half way so it gets a steady stream of air.

Now place the controller where you want. Bracket in the glove box etc. You'll want to be able to see it easy or hide it easy.

Remove the air meter ...You don't need that sh*t anymore. Filter, pipe and your done with that.

Now wide band O2 you need one of those, Not the wide band and a gauge just the wide band sensor and lamda cable. The cable attaches to the pro translator box. You can monitor the wideband from the pro translator screen if you really want one do it but its really not nessesary.

Now the beautiful thing about these is the wideband tracking. If you set the wideband tracking at 11.8 you'll always be 11.8, it samples like 128 times a second and it dead nuts accurate, spray meth, juice, race gas, more boost etc it will compensate. No more screwed up idle, perfect tune always baro pressure humitity and temp doesn't effect the car anymore drives like a new car from the dealer.

Now for computer chip Jeff does them and I still need to get him to do mine but that will be the last thing I buy for it, Looks like my combination is set unless I say screw it and do a 2.6 I've really been looking at the BC stroker kit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

As for tuning it and getting it dialed in research the full throttle network website theres alot of info there. Also I'm sure theres a dyno close to you that has tuned one of these in. I plan on getting mine baselined then loading up on a trailer and go to ATL for dyno time. I figure I can learn more in two hours on a dyno than 2 monthes raping it up and down the street beside my house.

Now I'm not sure which release you have but the software is a free upgrade and they have downloads for the current set-up and also the timing tables etc. Also you can buy for like 100 dollars the boost controller that ties into the box. But I'm use to mine and like the overtake button and its easy to set so I'll stick to my old profec A

So here's some links to what it is for you guys that have never seen one.

maft pro features

accessories

tech support

1st gen Wiring and manual downloads here

videos

14u2nV

sweet, thanks. Does it matter which way the sensor is facing in the I/c pipe?

curtis

Your killing me now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No doesn't matter plus its cool to mess with and see how fast they react ...You can hook a ohm meter to it and just change the temp fast by sticking an air hose to it or dipping in hot or cold water and watch the resistance change. Its almost real time it changes so fast ....GM has there sensors figured out.

Just spend a few hours reading the forums and you'll have it figured out in no time.

turbowop

The IAT sensor is nice for seeing how well your intercooler is working. If you're just a tad above ambient on a WOT pull, you know it's working well.

Curtis, I didn't know you were using the Maftpro setup also? Have you had good luck with the wideband tracking? I'm a bit leary of trying it since I'm using methanol injection on my car and I built the failsafe into the accessory 12volt input wire on the Maftpro. The Maftpro will only pull fuel if it sees +12volts on that wire, which is signaled by a Hobbs switch that is looking for pressure at the meth nozzle. That wire also ties into my dual stage boost controller and runs high boost if it sees meth pressure as well. If that Hobbs switch doesn't see pressure, or if I just turn the system off, the Maftpro doesn't pull fuel and the boost controller stays at low boost, protecting the engine from an overlean/overboost condition.

I'd be willing to try wideband tracking, but I'd have to do a little wiring change and some reconfiguration of the Maftpro box.

14u2nV

well you guys bring your cars here, and we'll all figure out how all of it works. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gordian79

i usaully leave IAT sensor out of ic piping.i zip tie it in grill area where it wont get wet but will have ambient air hitting it.

strokin4dr

Why would you do that? It would be much more relevant to know the temp of the air that is actually going into the motor.

curtis

Mark I have it as well as another 100 or so parts not installed. Its still moving under fred flintstone power in and out of the garage when its in my way.

There is guys in town and around middle tn with it and all of them use the speed density mode. I've not read up on it to much but have played and watched friends tune on there cars and its fabulous everything automatically adjusts.

My buddy Thomas has a 03 evo, at the time had 3 inch exhaust flashed ecu, 272's , stock intake manifold, stock cam gears, k&N, injectors, meth, dnp header, 35R, 4 inch thick ebay xs power IC but one of his pipes is factory by the radiator and a profec b boost controller with a maft pro in speed density mode going into a exedy dual disk on the same 5 zigens as yours with 255 rubber the car ran a spinning 11.50 but ran 134 mph on 28 psi. Thats saying something for what this thing does in speed density.

Paul got a ride in it when here and posted a video of the car on google at the time he rode in it had a magnus on it so not sure on the tune or the power but with everything above went 560 to the tires. He had just got the magnus on the morning we went over to his shop. I really think the magnus screwed up the tune cause it never felt right when I was on it.

Here's the videos
engine bay

click here for road run. Thats Paul riding and giggling

turbowop

Those aren't the right videos. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Anyway, I run mine in speed density, I just don't use wideband tracking. Lucas, our other local PNW guy that uses the setup and turned me onto it a couple years ago also doesn't use WB tracking with his, and has the highest horsepower stock turbo Evo out there at a hair over 500whp. He's run high 10's with it to boot. Pretty badass.

Gimpin

wow ... I didnt even know that this was avalible. For those of you running this how do you like it compared to DSM Link... I really like the fact that it is speed density ... was thinking about going going with ds-map but I'm not sure how user friendly it is. Also is there any launch control / anti lag with the Maft Pro?

Gordian79

Quoting strokin4dr:
Why would you do that? It would be much more relevant to know the temp of the air that is actually going into the motor.

well one reason is that the car would run a little bit richer with the cooler ambient temps.its like a safety thing.another is that the glass piece on iat sensor doesnt hold up to well to 45+ psi of boost.ive been doing this since the haltech f3 days.

turbowop

Quoting Gimpin:
wow ... I didnt even know that this was avalible. For those of you running this how do you like it compared to DSM Link... I really like the fact that it is speed density ... was thinking about going going with ds-map but I'm not sure how user friendly it is. Also is there any launch control / anti lag with the Maft Pro?

DSMlink has waaaaaay more of an online community for help. Maftpro, while a pretty cool setup, IMO, is lacking in support from a lot of enthusiasts. You not even knowing about this setup just proves that, considering that this has been out for a couple years now.

I believe that DSMlink is much easier to tune, but you're still stuck with a maf until they release some type of map based system. Not that running a maf is bad, as LOTS of people have done very well with it. After seeing how well Lucas did with Maftpro, I joited the small bandwagon so that I could run methanol injection in conjunction with it, since running the two together is pretty easy.

Last edited:

Gimpin

you are running both?!?!?! why not just get aem for that price.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts