The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

2 RS VR4's ?

rah1482

Came from the local importer last week. Saw 2 VR4's cut-up. One was surely an RS based on ; the chassis code (e38a), body color (white),vented hood, bumper with lower slit, manual window winders,yellow top injectors, no 4WS on the rear door and finally, the VR4 RS decal.

I was told the other one was just a standard VR4, so wasn't really interested. However, when i took a look at the parts, I saw these - chassis code e39a, vented hood, bumper with lower slit and yellow top injectors. Judging from these parts, i would say that it is an RS too. What's throwing me off - black in body color, digital a/c, electronic window winders and lastly the decal - VR4 without the RS.

Questions

Paint on the hood and bumper is factory, so is the black one an RS?
Aside from the parts described above, what are the other differences?
Do I take it that the e38a has front and rear LSD's, while the black one only has a rear LSD?
From the RS brochure often posted here, e38a with no4WS has shorter gearing than the one with 4WS?

Of course, in the end, it was a no brainer to buy the e38a. It had additional goodies; a roll bar, a tank guard and a differential guard, OZ mags,aside from a front Cusco strut bar and a Win-sports rear strut bar.

I'm just making sure, am not missing out on anything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks for the input

supervr4

the black one is what has been nicknamed a vr4 evo 0 pretty much the RS engine and drive train minus the short gear ratio, and with all the normal vr4 interior

Whats different between the E39a and E38a chassis?

Last edited by a moderator:

cheekychimp

Quoting SGTdave:

I believe the E38A came with a 4 bolt rear no 4WS and possibly no ABS. It was the RS equivalent of the EVOs that come without all the electronic skullduggery!

gtluke

it doesn't have a front LSD, you need an evo 3 trans for that
speaking of, find me one!

actually can you get me some of those tank and diff gaurds if you find any more?
thanks
-luke-

H05TYL

Quoting supervr4:
the black one is what has been nicknamed a vr4 evo 0 pretty much the RS engine and drive train minus the short gear ratio, and with all the normal vr4 interior

mitsi called the black one VR4 evolution (it'll have a 4 bolt viscous lsd rear end) and the white one VR4 evolution RS (it'll have a 4 bolt plate lsd rear end).

they also made 'regular' vr4 RS's which had the same 14b turbo, 450cc injectors, etc as the normal vr4 and a 3 bolt plate lsd rear end.

rah1482

HO5TYL,

I suck at doing Search - whats the diff betwen the Viscuous LSD and the Plate LSD? Is plate LSD another term for Helical LSD?

GTLuke,

Are you sure the RS would not have a front LSD? That's a bummer, if it doesn't.

Telecaster,

You only need to look at your cell phone, its under Richie.

H05TYL

uh yea sorry, plate type = clutch type.

A front lsd may have been available as an option, like it was on the RS evo lancers.

sorry to dig up a post from the past.

88 model e38a. does this car have a 4 bolt rear or is it 3 bolt.
car has no climate control, no rear wiper. i would check it out, but the car is in another country

H05TYL

it'll have a 3 bolt plate lsd. (I've got two of these diffs myself, good handling upgrade)

misterfixit

Quoting SGTdave:

e38a = no 4ws
e39a = 4ws

Rich

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts