The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1667 the birth and death 03/22/08

Vman911

So I figured out why it wouldn't start fri. No fuel.. Got that fixed and it fired up so sweet today. Ran it for a few minutes sounded great. Checked timing and all was A-OK. Let it run to temp and made sure fans kicked on. Jumped in it and took it on its madian voyage to break it in.. Got about a mile down road and and thats all she wrote..........

Oil pump stub locked up and sheared the gear off, almost through timing cover. It jumped time...Don't know damage to head as of yet. Got pan off,frontcase is off. Going to fix that first then do a compression test and leakdown test to see if damage to head.. I'm thinking the worst but praying for best. Back to drawing board..

Vinman

Last edited:

That's awful news; I'm sorry to hear it. I hope the head's ok. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif "Worst... day... ever."

wow i hope everything works out, sorry to hear that. good luck with everything i really hope the head is ok

toybreaker

iconoclast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

That's no good.

While you have it apart, and the t-belt off, you might want to think about checking some other items out before reasssembling anything.

At the very least, consider removing the valve cover, and popping your cams out.

This will allow you to inspect the cam /head journal bores for signs of oil starvation.

With the cams out, you can also do a quicky leakdown check. That will tell the tale on any other potential carnage to the valvetrain from the belt skipping.

I would also consider pulling the pan, and checking the crank before firing it back up. That way, you won't wipe out the whole sh*t-aree if there's been any bearing damage. Spinning a bearing out will pretty much fubar the block.

Good luck

CutlassJim

Quoting Toybreaker :
This will allow you to inspect the cam /head journal bores for signs of oil starvation.

I'm betting the car shut off fast enough that they are fine. They probably run longer without oil on engine startup.

toybreaker

iconoclast
I've seen it go both ways.

We don't know if it was running pissed for few moments before the pump siezed.

I always check for collateral damage.

Either way, it sucks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Vman911

There was some noise in valve train when it jumped time. So I know head has some bent valves. Motor is coming out today. Its all unwired and tranny is coming off in next hr then block. The whole motor is going to get dissasembled and put back together again...Set me back a couple weeks..The Price of owning a DSM.

Last edited:

vapid

^^^^ im wondering why you keep posting every 3 minutes!

Terry Posten

^^ Keep on topic please. ^^

Sweet. Make sure to have everything checked out after it is torn down. Depending on how the condition of the head before the incident you might want to look at a full rebuild with some new guides, seals, etc.

Vman911

Its a solid stub from parts dinoasur. The mistu one has a hole in it for oil to go through. I just found out today from a friend in tenn that people were having problems with the solid stubs. I just happen to be one of them. No worries though I got all parts on order and a factory stub from mitsu.

The solid one in pic is a new one from another BS kit I got here. See the difference from the factory one.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Haven't you mentioned you have built a bunch of engines? Have you experienced this before or used these solid shafts before? just curious.

Vman911

first time I used a solid stub. I usually have a core and cut the shaft. This car had no motor and I pieced it together. you win some you lose some i guess.

boostedinaz

That exact same thing happened to a buddy of mine as well as a few people on DSMlink forums.

SleepinGVR4

I'm bring this thread back to ask a question.

Since my motor is apart I looked at the BS stub and it looks like the bottom one in your picture but there is no hole in it. Can some explain this?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned