The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Roll cage

galant412

Where can you get a bolt in roll cage for the galants not to sher where to find them? Or do you have to just get them made. Pic if you guy have sum it would be helpful thanks.

Last edited:

kcpaz

do a search and you will find that there aren't any available

galant412

yeah i google and there where none to be found. I thought i would tri on here and maybe sum one would know. If a older evo one would work or sum thing.

gtluke

its not a cage unless you are caged in(10pt), you probably mean a roll bar(6pt).

galant412

My bad (10pt)cage would be good or a roll bar(6pt).

skivittlerjimb

I think it's a bit funny how folks get worked up on the cage/bar distinction, but I suppose words do matter.

In any case, you won't find a bolt-in cage or bar stateside unless you luck into an OEM Ralliart 4 pt. bar from back in the day or a Safety 21 6 pt. cage that has somehow made its way over from Japan. In either of those cases, "bolt-in" is probably not the proper term, and it would only work on a non sunroof car unless you cut down the b-pillar bars.

Best bet is to figure out exactly what types of event you want to do with the car, make sure you plan a cage built to specs. at least good enough for those rules, and then find a reputable builder with good references and experience wit the type of cage you need.

-Jim B.
280/1000

Last edited:

galant412

I will be doing sum drag race and sum autocross.

Do you plan on having two setups? AutoX and drag are VERY different. Good luck with AutoXing a drag car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

You may consider which one you PRIMARILY want to focus on. Build to those specs.

Quote:
I will be doing some drag race and some autocross.

Fixed; neither of those activities involve an addition total.

kcpaz

you don't need a cage for autocross, and actually, the extra weight will slow you down. And who autocrosses a drag car? That would be like telling a marathon runner to go run a 100 meter race. Mabe U shud rethink yur plans before U start throwin' sum parts at the car.

^
I think U are right. Sumtimes U dont need a cage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bolt in cage/bar is the correct term. Only problem is they aren't really legal for anything serious. The cost it would take to get one made that you could install and remove would not really be cost affective since its not legal. Then again people spend hundreds on harness bars thay are not legal for anything. I am still kicking around the idea of a weld in and bolt in cage specifically for galants onlce I'm done with mine but I simply don't have the time at the moment. If you have any more specific questions let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:

gtride

A-2.5.5.4. CHASSIS/BODY/INTERIOR
(c) Roll Bars: Roll bars are permitted. Full interior roll
cages are not permitted.
click

When do I need a roll bar or roll cage, and what should it look like?
A roll bar is required in any convertible running 13.49 seconds or quicker in the quarter mile, and in other cars beginning at 11.49. The roll bar is accepted in vehicles running as quick as 10.00 second e.t., provided the stock firewall and floorboard is intact, other than for installation of wheel tubs. The rollbar must be constructed of minimum 1 ѕ inch o.d. x .118 inch wall mild steel tubing, or 1 ѕ x .083 chrome moly tubing, and must conform to the following diagram:
click

So you don't need a roll bar till 11.49 et and you don't need a roll cage till you run 10.99 et. You cant combined metric nut with standard bolt, because that's what you trying to do. So forget the idea for roll cage and just get a harness bar and you should be ok.

By the time you get to 10s you will know what to do. If you ever get to have an autocross/10s car let us know.

Roll bar setup is legal to 10.0 not 10.99 so unless you plan on running 9s you will not need more then a 6pt roll bar. A chromoly 6pt is not cheap though.

CP

Enuff wit da engrish slangah. Try writing like they taught you to in school.

gtluke

Quote:
Roll bar setup is legal to 10.0 not 10.99 so unless you plan on running 9s you will not need more then a 6pt roll bar. A chromoly 6pt is not cheap though.

actually you are wrong and gtride is correct.
unless you are talking something other than nhra 1/4 mile tracks.
nhra threw that "unmodified" sh*t in there which is really vauge and confusing letting you run 1/2 second quicker in an unmodified car.

HHIVR4

Quote:
do a search and you will find that there aren't any available

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Quote:
Quote:

actually you are wrong and gtride is correct.
unless you are talking something other than nhra 1/4 mile tracks.
nhra threw that "unmodified" sh*t in there which is really vauge and confusing letting you run 1/2 second quicker in an unmodified car.

This is what I was talking about.

4:11 ROLL CAGE
Mandatory in all cars running quicker than 10.99 seconds or faster
than 135 mph, or per Class Requirements. Cars with unaltered
firewall, floor, and body (from firewall rearward, wheeltubs
permitted) running between 10.00 and 10.99, roll bar permitted in
place of roll cage, or per Class Requirements.

I was making the statement because I don't know about you but I don't know of really any galants with sheet metal floor boards, modified firewalls and CF bodies. This way a "street" car doesn't require a cage and you can get away with a roll bar. The complete unaltered car would be more structurally strong then a hacked car like they are talking about therefor they allow a 6pt bar setup to 10.00(like I stated) instead of having to go to a full cage at 11.00s I guess I should have been more clear in my statement cause I can see how it could be seen as a blanket statement that ANY car with a 6pt cage is legal to 10.00 which is not the case.

Last edited by a moderator:

Larry Parker

Harness bars are bad news!!!! Many track day people wont let you run with one and racing seats.... If you roll on track the idea is that the 5 point belt with hold you in tight as the roof caves in on your poor head.... Have a local shop bend you up a hoop for a bar... SUPER EASY...

LP

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts