The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

LED dash questions.

Scientist

Anyone tried installing LEDs in the dash? Know what size LEds to use?

P1040109.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry Posten

I can't emagine that it is very hard.

If someone wants to donate a gauge cluster, I will work on it at the shop.

Scientist

if shipping wasn't such a pain i would probly send the one i have from the Galant Super Saloon (Super beater)

Rausch

Man if that could get set up to flip between the white, and the amber color....That would be hot. As much as I like the green....The white looks very nice.

Terry Posten

With the dual color setup in the USDM models, as long as the LEDs have the "flood" pattern, should be doable.

I will discuss with my cousin tomorrow night and see if the dimming could also still work.

brisvr4

I saw that one on Yahoo Japan too. Price seemed kind of steep though?

powerplay

I have changed all of my bulbs to red LEDs in the cluster. The switch nows works between red and orange. It is very easy to do. I changed the blubs in the dash switches/indicators as well. That is more difficult as some of the blubs are very small. You can't use just regular plugin LEDs, so you have to take the LEDs apart and solder a resistor and LED in place in the switch. I got mine from Super Bright. I bought a bunch of different sizes, but I believe the 74R works for the small ones (dash) and the WLED-R4 for the big ones (cluster)

ktmrider

I like the look but agree it would be tiring on the eyes for extended night driving.
High kit price but sounds like the locals have figured out the DIY for a much nicer price.

DR1665

DSMtuners link - Guy got his info from azdave, who is the king of LEDs. Search him out on HIDplanet and you'll see.

Dave has something like 5000 SMT LEDs hand soldered into custom circuit boards in the tail lights of his 2G Eclipse, but says the trick is flexible LED strips for the gauges.

80362d1203229522-how-light-gauge-cluster-leds-img_4243.jpg

Last edited:

I know in my dash all the led lights have a green plastic type sleave over them. it is easily removed this way you can change to whatever colour you like! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So if do a LED conversion how well does the dimmer work? Are you still able to dim the gauge cluster?

I have a spare VR-4 cluster in the garage if you need one for bench testing. Would I get a set of LEDs for loaning it out? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Josh

I have 2 spare clusers(no vr4 though), if they would get a set of Leds, you may use them both /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Alright I would like to do this mod. The thing is I'm not too sure which WLED to order from SuperbrightLEDs.com.. I was thinking the w5 led since it distributes light to the sides as well as straight forward.. They cost twice as much as the W4's though.. Does it look good with the w4's even though the light is directed forward? I'm worried that you will be able to see lighter spots on the cluster from where the lights are at than where they're not at.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I have ordered some LED's from www.superbrightleds.com I ended up getting 6 green WLED-X5's and 6 blue WLED-X5's for the gauge cluster. I also ordered 6 green high power #74 LED lights for the climate controls and ashtray area. I think any smaller WLED from superbrightleds will work in the gauge cluster.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts