The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Mint 93 headlights to "super mint".

boostedinaz

Last weekend I received a set of mint 93 headlights from our own Garfield Wright. They were in very good condition, but as everything else in life they could have been better. A weekend being bored + my anal nature (no homo) + trip to Ace hardware = Super mint 93 headlights.

For now I have just done one so I can get a good before and after shot. The next one I will take detailed pictures on how I did it and and road blocks I faced.

Here is what I started with. Great mechanical condition with no chips or cracks, but dirty and a bit ugly.

Masking off the lights to repaint the tops and bottoms. I also did the ends so the whole thing is black all the way around.

This is where things got carried away. I put them backing on the light and started to notice other things that were dirty. First it was the screws, then it went to the adjusters. Those were stripped and cleaned.

This is the before and after, but for some reason things still weren't as good as they could be. They still didn't seem "super mint" to me.

The plastic that made up the back of the headlights was gross in comparison to the rest of the light. It wouldn't clean up with a rag and various types of cleaners so it was time for more masking and some more paint.

Ahhhh much better. Now the final product. Yes, I have way to much time an effort into lights that will get dirty, but they look sick for now. Almost to sick as I don't want to put them on now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

BlitzVR4

Can I send you my pair to clean them up? Damn that looks nice. I think that may be my next weekend project.

ggsxkid

ha so i guess i can figure you for the all show and no go type of guy eh...

nah just kiddin, they look really good now

someone was bored... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

324vr4

Your lights make me horny...Uh I mean, they look good...has anyone tried taking JDM light housings and adding the '93 lens?! I'm curious how they would look/perform..Do the '93 lens have the same dimensions as the JDM lens?!

boostedinaz

Quote:
ha so i guess i can figure you for the all show and no go type of guy eh...

nah just kiddin, they look really good now

someone was bored... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Definitely not. My Talon is pretty heavily modified and my Galant is going under the knife soon. I just hate the typical ugly ass DSM that goes fast. I just see no reason that something can't look as good as they perform.

Super bored, for sure.

Last edited:

Excellent job Mike. If I was going to keep them, that's exactly how I'd have done them too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

I guess they look pretty good.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll drop off two pairs for you if youre still bored. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Do the '93 lens have the same dimensions as the JDM lens?!

Nope.

+11111111

boostedinaz

Quote:
Excellent job Mike. If I was going to keep them, that's exactly how I'd have done them too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Thanks GW. I have some HID's on the way so I will see how that works out as well. It will be a huge improvement over my current setup.

Quote:

I'll drop off two pairs for you if youre still bored. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I would do some for you if I get a free ride in #3.

I wouldn't mind doing it for others, but I doubt it is cost effective with shipping and labor.

Last edited:

mikus

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif that's sharp as can be - it's details like that, that make the difference between a car that's tinkered with and a car that someone is passionate (obsessed?) about.

Gimpin

I'm currious ... what is the big difference in the 93 headlights?? and what is needed to install them?

boostedinaz

They just have clear front lenses instead of the tacky patterned lenses. They are a direct bolt on. I can get side by side pictures if you want.

Gimpin

that would be awesome ... I searched but couldnt really find a good side x side

boostedinaz

I'll do my best. Sometimes it is hard to see the difference between two pieces of glass in a picture.

curtis

Quote:

Already started modifing that's a good sign. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

haha sort of. It took me all weekend to unpack and sort everything out. My house looks like a Mitsu parts department. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pictures will be up when I get a chance. Number 3 was reunited with one of her siblings over the weekend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

jepherz

Staff member
Keep in mind, those screws will rust faster than molasses now that they have no zinc coating if you used a wire wheel of some sort.

Gimpin

Probably don't have to worry about rust as much in AZ as you do in MO

Gimpin

Quote:
Keep in mind, those screws will rust faster than molasses now that they have no zinc coating if you used a wire wheel of some sort.

and in addition ... Molasses is slow and doesn't rust

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts