The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cleaning the center console area...

blacksheep

Anyone know how to clean the felt (sp?) center console interior. I was told not to use water. I tried using a vaccum cleaner and a toothbrush, but no luck. The thing is filled with tobacco and ash.
frown.gif

Thanks!

KC

If your talking about the little tray area under the radio. I can send you a piece of leather for 5 dollars. Check out my pics of the shift boot. I don't know if ou can tell or not, but that little peice pops out from the bottom. I scrubbed the sh*t out of it and got all the fuzz off. Then I sanded it and used spray adhesize and glued a peice of leather on it. Then I trimmed it to fit once it dried, and snapped back in place.

You should just cut it out and replace it w/crushed velvet. A light blue looks best in our interiors.

blacksheep

I actually meant the center console piece under the armrest. It has the same material in it like the piece in front. Mine was used as an ashtray/trash bin
shocked.gif

VR6 Eater - That front piece of mine has a big gaping hole cut into it for a turbo timer install. The turbo timer stuck halfway up..pretty sad. I figure I will cut some carpet pad first or even ABS plastic, cover the hole and then add something to it...I may take you up on the offer.
I was hoping someone had that piece from a wrecked car
smile.gif

Jon - that will match my austin powers crushed velvet suit...
smile.gif

Thanks, guys!

Gabor

I just made a cover for mine and put the S-AFC under it.
But yes you can just pop it out and clean it with a brush.

console%20off.jpg

Gabor
692/1000

quote:Originally posted by turbowop:
I just sanded off the felt and painted it black. Looks good to me....
smile.gif
That's exactly what I did with mine. It was totally f'd up from a prev. owner spilling soda all over the place & never cleaning it up. I just used flat black high-temp engine paint. Looks like it came that way almost. As far as the center console piece I had to clean it heavily too because of the aforementioned soda. I took the cup holder part out & soaked it in the sink a few times for half an hour or so at a time. Otherwise I just used a toothbrush, paper towels, and elbow grease to clean up what I could.

quote:Originally posted by sleeper:
I just made a cover for mine and put the S-AFC under it.
But yes you can just pop it out and clean it with a brush.

Gabor
692/1000
Nice Gabor. Is the cover hinged or latched? You wanna flip it up and show us a pic? Looks good... what's w/the stereo situation? Got an aftermarket deck, but the stocker w/cassette? How did you wire that up, ie, does the aftermarket take precedence and you switch to the stocker when you want to play a cassette, or does the aftermarket feed into the stocker CD input??

Gabor

The top head unit is not hooked up yet so while I'm installing the amps and stuff I listen to the stock radio.

The cover is hinged by putting some tape underneat.
It works. You can look at other pictures with the lid off at www.dsmstuff.com/pictures/
Should be under gvr4.

Gabor
692/1000

Gabor,

You have a MAD clean interior! Love the stealth look with those vented gauges, SAFC cover, and that saweeeet Evo steering wheel as well! I wish I could find one used... I'm assuming you made that cover thingy from ABS plate like what you can find from Radio Shack no? One question for you on your install, how did you get your SAFC to sit countersunk into the lil dish? I'm guessing you cut it in the shape of a U like this |___| and maybe pressed the SAFC it in?

Gabor

I popped the felt piece out and cut a whole to fit the AFC. It is mounted from the bottom up.
4 pieces of L shaped metal holding it up that is JB welded to the console.

The lid is ABS plastic that I got from an electronic store like Radio Shack. I used a soft side of the welcro tape to make it hinged. You have to open it with your fingernails wich is kind of hard but a door handle of some sort could be glued on it if you like. It's really not that hard to make. I just cut the plastic close to size and grinding the rest of it to fit.
It took me about 20 minutes and getting in and out of the car about a zillion times to trim a little more.

Thanks for the comment about the car. It was/is going to be a sleeper, hence such care about placement of stuff.

Gabor
692/1000

So there's double-sided tape on the bottom of the cover? I really like that look, can I pay you to make me one?
wink.gif

Also, what is this shifter from?

quote:Originally posted by sleeper:
I popped the felt piece out and cut a whole to fit the AFC. It is mounted from the bottom up.
4 pieces of L shaped metal holding it up that is JB welded to the console.

Thanks for the comment about the car. It was/is going to be a sleeper, hence such care about placement of stuff.

Gabor
692/1000
Yeah doesn't look that hard to do... Always looking for something to use the dremel on.
grin.gif
Is there some metal that you JB Welded the brackets to under there or did you just weld it to the plastic underside of the console?

Gabor

There isn't any metal under there. Just glue it to the plastic.
I don't think the dremmel is a right tool for this project. A razor knife and a bench grinder is all you need. Cut it of paper first to fit, then draw around the plastic. Very easy to do. My dog wanted to do it first, but though it wasn't such a challenge for her. (It's that easy)
smile.gif

Gabor
692/1000

Hertz

Staff member
FWIW -- I cleaned the arm rest felt box in the sink with soap and water. It held up fine... but the "ash tray resevoir" piece gave up in the warm sudsy stuff... especially when I took the scrubber to it. I ended up swapping it with the good one from my GS and doing a custom upholstery job on it by covering it in a blue shop towel (paper) and snapping it back in.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts