The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Chip features

Well, not to open the floodgates or anything, but I'm trying to develop new "features" for my chip, especially new applications for the boost gauge. I can easily duplicate the function of any TMO gauges, like:
1) O2 meter
2) spark advance
3) injector duty cycle
4) Battery voltage, or
5) Octane
For GVR-4's, Todd also usually gives a "magnified O2", but I'm not sure which part of the scale is magnified, I'll have to look at the interpolation.
I plan to offer a single gauge, not selectable, with my chip, which is rewritten in such a way that it does not copy the TMO code. So, besides the above, what can you think of, new and different, that you think would be worthwhile?
I've done a knock gauge for one guy, where each LED segment, except the first one, is worth 5 on the knock sum. I just did another one that will turn on the first 3 LED's when it reaches 6000 rpm, and the other 3 at 7000, sort of a 2-step shift light.
I also did my own "magnified O2" where each segment is worth .02 volts, from .86 to .92 (the first 2 segments light together at .86).
I'm looking for new, innovative ideas, and it has to be something the ECU monitors, like intake air temps, barometric pressure, airflow, fuel or spark related, coolant temperature, or TPS voltage. I could even try to do a combination, like airflow/rpm.
I've even thought of connecting a MAP sensor to the EGR temperature sensor input, and actually making it work as a REAL boost gauge.
So, any ideas you have will be considered. I HATE to be a me-too guy, but so far everything everyone asks for is stuff the TMO already has.
And yes, I will have a version of the chip with stutterbox
wink.gif

Jeff O.

The magnified voltage is a good idea. I really like the knock idea! It's like the knock LED mod, but far, far better. You mentioned each bar was worth 5 counts of knock, except the first one. How much is that one worth? I'd also thought of modifying it to work as a shift light, but I was going to make it progressive instead of a two step. For example, have the first light come on at 6k and have each light be worth 250 rpm. If you're only doing one gauge, will the buyer get to choose which one?

jeff, i've been meaning to ask you something. when you are at the gauge selection stage (before the engine is on) what gauge is set on the 6th segment?

I 2nd this question, and will I be able to get one from over here somehow. I really want a stutterbox.

Gvr4-330

Ooops... I misread it as having a selectable gauge.

I think I'd like the 1. timing advance, or 2. knock, or 3. shift light.

I would still like to keep some kind of fake boost gauge function. During normal driving, I kinda watch the stock gauge because it's right there in the middle of the tach. I really only use the aftermarket one if I am tuning or looking for peak boost.
Rob

My vote is for the LED's as a knock indicator. My 2nd choice would be timing advance indicator.

spoulson

I also vote for knock sensor display. But to have selectable gauges would be even better, mostly for troubleshooting purposes.

i also like knock indicator.

jeff, my ecu is pulled and sitting on my work bench. let me know when you are ready to hook it up.

quote:Originally posted by udriveu:
jeff, i've been meaning to ask you something. when you are at the gauge selection stage (before the engine is on) what gauge is set on the 6th segment? "For GVR-4's, Todd also usually gives a magnified O2"

quote:Originally posted by Ash:
I 2nd this question, and will I be able to get one from over here somehow. I really want a stutterbox. Ash, when can one of you guys send me a stock chip? I can work from a binary file or an EPROM, whichever is easier for you.
Jeff O.

quote:Originally posted by spoulson:
I also vote for knock sensor display. But to have selectable gauges would be even better, mostly for troubleshooting purposes. I know selectable gauges would be the best, but unless TMO makes their stuff shareware, I'll won't be offering that. For now, in my FREE GVR-4 chip, I will offer one gauge, customer's choice, one stutterbox rpm (that doubles as a clutchcut rpm if I use the code I have written now), no fuelcut, rev limiter increase, octane reset, and probably A/C cutout at 90% throttle.
These are all things I'm able to do without using ANY of TMO's code. More advanced options, like injector correction, fuel or timing map remapping, etc, will probably NOT be free, but cheap
wink.gif

Any new ideas?
Jeff O.
#1886/2000

quote:Originally posted by theymightbegalants:
You mentioned each bar was worth 5 counts of knock, except the first one. How much is that one worth? 3, I think. The actually steps between most of the LED's is 2, but the first step is only one, so its only half a step and should be 2 or 3. The 2nd LED is 5, the 3rd LED is 10, 4th LED is 15, etc.

I'd also thought of modifying it to work as a shift light, but I was going to make it progressive instead of a two step. For example, have the first light come on at 6k and have each light be worth 250 rpm. That could be done, no problem. However, the boost gauge is a little slow responding, and may lag too much to be usable at such resolution. If I have some time this weekend, maybe I'll give it a try.

If you're only doing one gauge, will the buyer get to choose which one? Yes. But I need more ideas. I'm going to cross-post this in the Yahoo groups too, so sorry to any of you guys who have to read this twice.

I'll put in my $.02 about the knock guage setup. Two words, Awesome idea. Oh yeah the stutterbox and fuel cut would be pretty sweet too
cool.gif

spoulson

What is 'octane reset'? And how is the ECU able to determine octane rating?

quote:Originally posted by spoulson:
What is 'octane reset'? And how is the ECU able to determine octane rating? If the ECU detects a lot of knock, it will keep
lowering the value in one memory address, which causes it to use less aggressive timing, because it thinks you have a bad tank of gas. This feature resets the value to maximum every time you start the car, so you always start with peak performance.

That paragraph should be credited to Jeff, that is the answer he wrote it when I asked him the same question.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts