The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

90 OFH cleaning

cOmpressor

I picked up a 90' oil filter housing and after a while scrubbing I can't seem to get all the cracks and small areas clean, I want to know if soaking it in diluted parts cleaner will harm anything. The only problem I see is the thermostat and small amount of wiring, should I take that off or just go for it?

Have you tried brake cleaner? I was having similar issues degreasing my t-case, but the brake cleaner took it all off.

cOmpressor

Might try it but was concerned about damaging anything.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Are you running balance shafts?

If you're not, you should really consider taking the pressure relief valve out and porting the relief passage in the housing body. (Running without balance shafts can cause excessive cold oil pressure.)

I usually take the unit completely apart. Hold the body (with gloves and rags), and just blast the fittings off with sockets and an impact. (Putting it in a vice may damage the sealing surfaces, even with soft jaws)

Clean/port/fondle the innards.

Assemble, (loosely,), with fresh copper sealing washers, and install housing to the front cover. Torque fittings.

Done.

cOmpressor

Ya I've heard about that and planned to do it.

Quote:
Are you running balance shafts?

If you're not, you should really consider taking the pressure relief valve out and porting the relief passage in the housing body. (Running without balance shafts can cause excessive cold oil pressure.)

Pictarz?

bazeng

I personally wouldn't port it out so much...

I found oil pressure to be too low when I attempted to reproduce the photo
click

I had about 70psi max at cold start and 7000rpm with balance shafts removed and 15-40 oil

So pressure to the head would be rather low also (it was measure at the oil filter housing)

I'd say give it small clean up, I'm up to my 3rd oil filter housing trying to get it right.. I might have to play with springs if this one isn't right..

Thanks for the update. I am looking into making this mod once Christmas allows me the money for all the AN fittings and lines.

grocery_getter

Pretty standard to do to OFH on motor with blocked balance shaft bearings.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts