The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Sneak Peek....

Well I figure it's about time to give you guys a glimpse of what's going on with our Galant /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/smile.gif The stock motor got a bit of rod knock @ 200,000 miles. I'm sure the 16g @ 21psi wasn't helping this at all so I pulled it apart for surgery. Here's a look at what's to come...

2.3L Stroker w/factory 100mm crank
8.8:1 Wiseco/Eagle
2G head
FP3055

Full build details to come soon /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/smile.gif

teh hawtness! /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/applause.gif Nice work. Have you decided what cams you're using for that build?

Last edited by a moderator:

boostx

The stock 2g head flows better that the stock 1g head

speedyvr4

ooh, I got here before the 1g head vs 2g head sh*t slinging begins. First of all, congrats on the new setup, she's gonna run strong. Now for the sh*t talking. If anyone has the modified mag article when they compared 1g and the 2g head, now would be the time to post it. In a nutshell, According to the head builder(don't remember his name) the 2g head flowed better for low HP/street aplications and the 1g head was better for high HP/full race applications. I have a 2g head on my gvr4, but I port matched the intake side of the head to the 1g intake manifold because the step is really big and I was afraid it might cause some kind of turbulance in the intake, don't know maybe I was paranoid but whatever. On my 90 % stock gvr4 I didn't notice any difference on the butt dyno except that 3rd gear pulls nicer sepially when speeding up to on onramp to enter the freeway.

CutlassJim

Quote:
ooh, I got here before the 1g head vs 2g head sh*t slinging begins. First of all, congrats on the new setup, she's gonna run strong. Now for the sh*t talking. If anyone has the modified mag article when they compared 1g and the 2g head, now would be the time to post it. In a nutshell, According to the head builder(don't remember his name) the 2g head flowed better for low HP/street aplications and the 1g head was better for high HP/full race applications. I have a 2g head on my gvr4, but I port matched the intake side of the head to the 1g intake manifold because the step is really big and I was afraid it might cause some kind of turbulance in the intake, don't know maybe I was paranoid but whatever. On my 90 % stock gvr4 I didn't notice any difference on the butt dyno except that 3rd gear pulls nicer sepially when speeding up to on onramp to enter the freeway.

THANK YOU! I love how people just throw around the term "better". In applications under around 45lb/min a 2G head is the better choice because it keeps everything flowing fast to promote low/mid rpm torque and helps with the boost threshold of any given turbo while not causing a major restriction. But for max rpm/hp a 1G head is the way to go.

If a 2G head is "better" I'm assuming that's what shep runs? /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/grin.gif

1gnasty

nice jesse is about time u get that motor apart /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks guys! I used a 2G head for throttle response/torque. It's coupled with a stock 2G intake manifold for now. After the car is dyno'd we'll be switching that to a JMF unit and taking it back to the dyno. Right now it'll run HKS 272 cams. The girdle is made by Kiggly ( HERE).

Also, if one is planning on porting a head the 2G is a better candidate. There's more material to remove, allowing you to reshape the ports for maximum flow. However, in 90% of the cars out there, it really doesn't matter either way.

Edit: Damn, that WG/turbo setup is sweet! /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/worthy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

cOmpressor

Is it wrong to get a boner when viewing this motor?

Terry Posten

Dude, your pistons are in the wrong way.

J/K. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/grin.gif

O-ring FTMFWynn /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/devil.gif

Crap!!! I'm gonna pull it apart tomorrow and check to make sure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
Just 9 months later and I was getting sooo close...

strokin4dr

wrong thread.

Last edited:

Brianawd

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nice setup you building there Jesse. From the look of that tstat/waterneck housing I would say you are planning a nice aluminium radiator to fill that big gap up front or do you have something else up your sleeve?

Thanks! There's a 1G Fluidyne to fill that gap. Just didn't have it in there when I was messing with the turbo and i/c pipes. Gotta take the turbo off again and make a slight change in the compressor clocking. I still have to weld up upper/lower radiator pipes, finish the wire tuck, rebuild the driveshaft, do fluids... then it'll be ready to fire. At this rate that's only like 3 more months /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

At last we finally get to see it. Very nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

3rdstrikedsm

Looks good, What coupler is that off the turbo? I need that same one.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned