The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Elemental designs 7kv.2 + kenwood 7203 = goodness

kartorium

So I just finished putting these in. Installed in the stock holes in the rear deck and stock grilles slightly trimmed a bit. Running about 200 watts to each speaker with no baffle and no box these sound great. At greater than normal listening levels I have some rattles to trace cause these things really hit tough. They really excel at mid and mid to low bass, but can actually hit very low (bone thugs sounds amazing). I haven't decided if I'll build some sealed enclosures under them, for now they'll stay like this.

In order to make these fit I had to modify the stock grill (just trim the underside a bit, Install gas struts for trunk operation for clearance of the mags, and use some insulated tape to make a good seal between the speaker and rear deck. Pretty simple.

btw, excursion on these things is rediculous.
Pics:

sorry for the dust and dirty ass trunk, its been getting some daily driving action lately.

Last edited:

464/2K

nice, and i like the trunk struts too awesome idea.

i've heard all kinds of good things about all of elemental designs products and i think im going to get one of their subs for the bimmer.

CutlassJim

I jumped on the Elemental Design bandwagon over the summer in my DD. Their stuff is a great value.

DSCN1698.jpg

DSCN1573.jpg

DSCN1529.jpg

DSCN1466.jpg

DSCN1454.jpg
'

DSCN1695.jpg

kartorium

I was going to get one of their amps too, but it just wasn't in the budget. I was planning on using an old rockford amp i had laying around but the bastard wouldn't work. There was a direct short to 12v in. Purchasing an amp wasn't part of the original plan for these, so I had to rock it on a budget. How do you like the ED amplifiers jim?

CutlassJim

The amps are awesome. I ran a NINe.2x on the one 13O then on the two SQ10's and they sounded great. In preperation for a 13A I picked up a NINe.1 and have run that on the two SQ's and now on two 13O's. I haven't metered the NINe.1 yet but with the car running the NINe.2x put out about 850 watts before clipping. That's a tad over the rated 600. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/wink.gif

Polish

Sweet, I like that setup. ED makes awesome stuff, good choice.

CutlassJim

I was actually thinking of doing the exact same thing to the car I keep when I actually got around to working on it so thanks for being a ginue pig. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/grin.gif

And the trunk strut idea is super sexy! How-to now!

Rausch

nice pieces. i was just looking on their site, and was pretty impressed. the designs and materials remind me of Diamond audio...at least the slighlty older stuff. i had a DA M3 12" in one of the mazdas, and man was that thing nice. as long as you build the box inline with the power you plan on using, they were spectacular. thse are really nicely designed, and the figures on them look good as well. might have to keep them in mind in the future....nice work!

CutlassJim

ED Just released production pics of their new flagship woofer! /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/worthy.gif

532_large.jpg

533_large.jpg

534_large.jpg

Rausch

Quote:
Xmax: 28.75 (Physical Linear) mm

/ubbthreads/images//graemlins/ooo.gif thats pretty serious!

kartorium

back to this stereo crap.

I took the excelons I had in the rear deck and put them in the front doors. They are 6 3/4" though, so I modified the door and panel to work. I took out the stock baffle (the big plastic thing) and put about 10 or 12 cuts into the metal of the door itself. Kinda fanning outward. Then each one of these triangular parts can be bent in, which enlarged the hole. I didn't have the proper tools available to just straight up cur a new hole out. I then used some insulated tape (often used for HVAC ducts) to make the speaker sit right and have a good seal when screwed down. Marked and drilled some new mounting holes and screwed the speaker in place.

The stock door panel has to be trimmed a bit at the speaker grill opening. The plastic of the door panel itself isn't cut out big enough to not interfere with the surround on a speaker this large, so you have to trim the inside of the panel. The sides need it the most, and the top needs some trimming also. Once that is done the speakers will fit fine. Be careful trimming though, there isn't a lot of room for error.

CutlassJim

Still waiting for that write-up on the trunk struts. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned