The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How to get into the 12's?

deez

So my buddy who has a 1999 Pontiac TA just ran a 12.7 at 109, and I need to hang with or beat him. My car is setup with an E316G, 720's, Extreme IC, 20psi, 3G MAS, and the usual supporting mods. Would cams be the next logical step to get me there? And can I get there with that turbo? I was thinking of the Crower 272 cams that are all over ebay.

rheckert

I believe 14b's have run that fast so you can forsure get there on an evo III turbo. How are you tuning? Have you logged lately? What are your fuel mods besides injectors?

Work on your tune and practice your launches, you already have a 12.7 capable car.

Have dsmchips set you up with a 2-step if you haven't already.

DarkDevilMMM

your car is enough to run 12.7, did you get your phantom knock squared out yet? if you didn't, no matter what you put in there is not gonna help. let's go tune your car and make a run and see how you are doing. without practice you aren't gonna do good either.

Polish

Your car should EASILY run 12's now.

14bCrazy

Hell with the right tune you should be low 12's. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/smile.gif

gtluke

your next mod should be practice.
my pos went 12.8 with a clutch, fuel pump, unbolted exhaust, and an OLD fmic.
oh some race gas and disconnecting the wastegate helps too.

atc250r

Staff member
With a decent tune you should be able to beat him on pump.

John

Brianawd

E316g,exhaust,front mount ,720 injectors,dsmlink,27psi and race gas got me a 12.13@115 last year

uncleben4rice

Dude dont belive these guys.. your car will not run that number unless you do alot of tuning...I mean alot of tuning... your best bet is get a bigger turbo with the cams and then you can run the numbers you seek...I know im gonna get some slack about this post but im just keeping it real. I got everything on my car and it does not even run 13s and all THEY say is... you gotta tune more. well guess what I tuned more and its still slow..but it dont knock... I talked to some guys that run the 11s with the goodies, what they all tell me is, get the big turbo and go fast...HMMMM
Im getting a big turbo next year and then wacth my car go to damn fast....I will put it to you like this ..I have chevys that are fast. 10sec street stuff..I used to fart around with small blocks with no stroke...and wonder why they were slow cause the other guy had a 350 and his was way faster. well that guy either had a proven combination out the gate, or he spent alot of money on the dyno tune. then I started stroking my small blocks and what a diffrence. Now im fast for less money because I did not waste time on trial and error...Im not saying the guys on the board are lying, im just saying how much tuning are you willing to do to get results you want. they want $150 Dollars an hour to dyno tune where I live.

built motor 9 to 1
272s
sm 16g
dsmlink
tre tranny
750cc inject
4bolt rear
zietronics wideband
too much to list

atc250r

Staff member
My first trip to the track netted a 12.79@108 on a small 16G, 560's, 2G MAF, 3" Exhaust, an AFPR, and a good clutch. That was on stock 165,000 mile suspension and stock size tires on stock wheels. When I put the car together I swore I wasn't going to upgrade the turbo until it went 12's and then it went and did it the first time out. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/dunno.gif

BTW, I had nothing to tune with except my AFPR since the Keydiver chip was compensating for the injectors. I never even touched an SAFC at that point and never owned a peformance car that wasn't a Chevy with carb's before I bought the GVR4 so I wasn't some import/efi expert.

John

Last edited:

hahaha i'm with you on that one man. Get a big turbo and let that bitch do all the work /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/worthy.gif

I often wonder if my EVOIII can make it into the 12s. I run 23 pounds daily and it definitely doesn't feel like a 12 second car. Then again I can't launch too hard(no 4-bolt) and the car falls on it's face after every shift(no NLTS). If I had those things, and if you did, 12s would be no problem. Hell, there's cars out there running way faster on less than what we got /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif gotta have the car setup properly. easy way around that is of course a big turbo /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/devil.gif but then again you won't be taking full advantage of it, but it sure makes for a nice shortcut.

tsiboy

Quote:
Dude dont belive these guys.. your car will not run that number unless you do alot of tuning...I mean alot of tuning... your best bet is get a bigger turbo with the cams and then you can run the numbers you seek...I know im gonna get some slack about this post but im just keeping it real. I got everything on my car and it does not even run 13s and all THEY say is... you gotta tune more. well guess what I tuned more and its still slow..but it dont knock... I talked to some guys that run the 11s with the goodies, what they all tell me is, get the big turbo and go fast...HMMMM
Im getting a big turbo next year and then wacth my car go to damn fast....I will put it to you like this ..I have chevys that are fast. 10sec street stuff..I used to fart around with small blocks with no stroke...and wonder why they were slow cause the other guy had a 350 and his was way faster. well that guy either had a proven combination out the gate, or he spent alot of money on the dyno tune. then I started stroking my small blocks and what a diffrence. Now im fast for less money because I did not waste time on trial and error...Im not saying the guys on the board are lying, im just saying how much tuning are you willing to do to get results you want. they want $150 Dollars an hour to dyno tune where I live.

built motor 9 to 1
272s
sm 16g
dsmlink
tre tranny
750cc inject
4bolt rear
zietronics wideband
too much to list

just out of curiosity what are your laptimes and what kind of hp are you seeing while getting it tuned, and who is doing your tuning. not dissing you or anything, but you too should be in the 12's

Last edited:

Jostar

Good driving skills will get you a 12 sec... I ran a 12.90@ 105 mph on 14 pounds of boost on my 20g (bastard 20g) tuning is a very crucial part of modding...

14bCrazy

Quote:

built motor 9 to 1
272s
sm 16g
dsmlink
tre tranny
750cc inject
4bolt rear
zietronics wideband
too much to list

Ya your right were all lieing to you.

14bCrazy

click

Now take a little look see at this. And My friend Billy Bowden didn't run a 12.3 with a full weight car with a regular big 16g either. Oh wait he's on the list. Well maybe the guys on here that have been dealing with these cars for years might know what they are talking about after all. Sorry to be a dick but the truth is the truth and you don't need a bigger turbo for your goals. If you want one thats cool but you can run 12.7 with what you have.

Ian M

Quote:

built motor 9 to 1
272s
sm 16g
dsmlink
tre tranny
750cc inject
4bolt rear
zietronics wideband
too much to list

Dude,I hope you are kidding. If not,you seriously should refrain from giving advice.

13's is exhaust and boost controller territory. Apparently your junk is broke.

Last edited:

14bCrazy

Damn Ian!! What are you going to say next. That you ran 12's ona 14b!! /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif

464/2K

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned