The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Duralast ball joints?

Barnes

Not sure if I've seen anyone comment on the quality. Bought one at the parts store this weekend thinking I might install it. Only $30. Greaseble. Lifttime warranty. opinions?

atc250r

Staff member
I have a bunch of Duralast (Autozone) front end parts in my Ram. Its a good thing they have a lifetime warranty, you'll need it. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/bawling.gif I had one tie rod end get sloppy already and that was with under 10,000 miles on it.

John

CP

I put some outer tie rods from NAPA on my car last month. They're not greasable, and have a blue rubber boot. Seem to be working alright for now.

DarkDevilMMM

I replaced all the outer tie rod from NAPA also, but it's black rubber boot like the OEM ones and is greaseable too. what I hate is that it doesn't have the cotter pin design, but instead it comes with a locking nut, it works fine... for now.

spoulson

I would never buy anything for my cars again at Autozone. I, too, bought Duralast ball joints. The two had the same part numbers, different boxes, made in different countries, and one had a grease zerk/one didn't. I wanted to without the grease zerk based on feedback here that said it was a better quality part; that, and the OEMs didn't have a grease zerk either and lasted >100k. Autozone couldn't guaranatee to get two identical parts, but ordered two more anyway. They came in different again, so they paired up the ones I wanted.

When it came to install, the driver side installed ok, but the passenger side would not go in pair enough to allow the clip to go in. So, one side still has the original ball joint, but it looked to be in good condition anyway.

JNZ will tell you you can't get Mitsu front ball joints anymore; you'd have to get the whole control arm with the ball joint pre-installed. But, others here mentioned you can buy a rear ball joint and it's the same part as the front without having to buy a control arm. I would've done this had I known.

JNR

Yeah, I've had good luck with NAPA parts on my other cars (suspension, u-joints, etc.); just wish my friend still worked there (wholesale prices), but the extra price is worth it, imo...Seems like the big 'chain' stores sell crap and you can never get any 'real' help from behind the counter.

CP

Quote:
JNZ will tell you you can't get Mitsu front ball joints anymore

No they won't. Just last month I was able to get 4 ball joints from JNZ that weren't attached to control arms. Check your facts.

Barnes

How much did you pay for the OEM ball joints?

Quote:
I would never buy anything for my cars again at Autozone. I, too, bought Duralast ball joints. The two had the same part numbers, different boxes, made in different countries, and one had a grease zerk/one didn't. I wanted to without the grease zerk based on feedback here that said it was a better quality part; that, and the OEMs didn't have a grease zerk either and lasted >100k. Autozone couldn't guaranatee to get two identical parts, but ordered two more anyway. They came in different again, so they paired up the ones I wanted.

When it came to install, the driver side installed ok, but the passenger side would not go in pair enough to allow the clip to go in. So, one side still has the original ball joint, but it looked to be in good condition anyway.

JNZ will tell you you can't get Mitsu front ball joints anymore; you'd have to get the whole control arm with the ball joint pre-installed. But, others here mentioned you can buy a rear ball joint and it's the same part as the front without having to buy a control arm. I would've done this had I known.

Did you use the part number for the galant or for the talon. When I had them look up the part number for the galant it came up the same as a fwd 1g but the awd 1g had a different part number.

CP

Quote:
How much did you pay for the OEM ball joints?

I don't remember. Call JNZ and ask...215-997-6850.

Barnes

WtF? But that would be like..... effort on my behalf. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/frown.gif

spoulson

Quote:
No they won't. Just last month I was able to get 4 ball joints from JNZ that weren't attached to control arms. Check your facts.

I wasn't going to bug Eric or Josh just to get an update. When I first called, Josh was still working Conicelli and what I described was Mitsu's policy. JNZ, being unaffiliated with Mitsu, can do whatever they want so they're probably actually giving you the rear ball joint part number to help you out. Technically, the front ball joint part number can't be ordered from Mitsu. I recall another thread where someone called in and had the same experience. My facts are straight.

CP

Well I just got 4 of them from Eric at JNZ. I've only installed one of them so far (in a front control arm) and it fit just like the one that came out. I don't know if it's meant for the rear, but I had no fitment issues in the front. I'm doing the other front side tonight, and the rears later this week...same part all around.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned