The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

4G63 block differences

cOmpressor

I am looking around for a new block and everyone says just grab a N/T block. I've seen many motors that say 4G63 but are SOHC and am wondering if that block is the same. I know I need to add oil squirters if I decide to but can I use the SOCH block and my turbo head?

Wizardawd

If you are going to use aftermarket forged pistons, NT block is perfect since the squirter bosses were never drilled for the squirters. And with the extra oil pressure and the decreased chance of a squirter breaking and falling into the pan....why would you want squirters? They have been found to be marginal at best if providing any sort of cooling advantage.

Im sure a quick search on the SOHC block will net you the answer that you need.

Wiz

boostx

They are the same except for NA does not have the oil squirters.

GreenGSX

Does the NT block have a tapped hole for a knock sensor? I thought they did not.

14u2nV

some do, my gs DOHC had a knock sensor, but the ls SOHC engine I had did not. I was thinking pistons were different too, but am not sure.

Scientist

If they are any like the spare motor i have. the Ring lands etc sit closer to the piston dome than the Turbo motors. I've heard of the crank and rods being identical but I am not to sure about that. anyone care to confirm?

G

Staff member
What about the 1.6 turbo block ?

wowzer

Well I have a 91 dohc and i don't beleive I have a knock sensor but a 92 dohc motor will as mitsu re did the ecu and added the knock sensor for a gain of 9 hp and 4-5 ft/lb. Sohc motors I don't think ever came with knock sensors.

cOmpressor

if that's the case how hard is it to install the knock sensor from my turbo block into the N/A block? I don't plan on using the oil squirters, just figured I would throw that in there because a lot of people would start talking about that and I just need to know if the SOHC block is ok to build my motor with.

DarkDevilMMM

last I checked, the same location where our factory knock sensor suppose to be at on the NA block is just a solid metal chuck. you can just drill and tap the same location, seems like that's what the factory did. coz if you look at the NA block, seems like there's a cast imperfection at that location, designed for you to drill and tap to clean it out.

Wizardawd

Depends on the block I guess...I have 3 NT DOHC blocks and all 3 have the knock sensor holes under the #2 runner and they are threaded and all. The cranks are the same, the rods are the same. And of course the pistons are different, but we all knew that. Only thing I have ever found that was different that mattered at all was the lack of squirter holes. Now mind you, I have seen some variations here.

The Hyundai DOHC blocks I have seen without knock sensor holes. And on some NT blocks, I have seen the squirters holes blocked from the factory. Interesting little plug in the holes. But they were drilled nonetheless.

So it probably all depends on the years, make and even model that the block came out of. Just take a look b4 you buy it or whatever you are getting it from. There are a lot of these motors out there....

Wiz

G

Staff member
What about the 1.6 w/ no balance shafts ?

According to CAPS the 1.6 does not have oil jets, but is drilled for them. Has plugs in their place.

cOmpressor

Would a 1.6 block be my best bet if I am planning on removing my balance shafts anyway? What cars do the 1.6 come in, I think some Hyundai's have them. I am planning to keep the oil squirters off so any N/A block is what I am going for but I was just wondering if the SOCH engine is the same block.

Wizardawd

The BS removal kit that you see everywhere for sale is just the factory service kit for the 1.6L. In other words....get a 2.0L block and get the kit. Same thing. Plus 1.6Ls are not nearly as easy to find.

Wiz

G

Staff member
I thought the 1.6's oil passages were not drilled ?

Why would you want a 1.6 block with the shorter deck height. Theres no replacement for displacement duh. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/smile.gif

maroonmetallic

I found something interesting while in the junkyard looking for a replacement ECU for my Galant GSR.

First off, all the N/T DSM's I checked had an ECU minus the knock board. However, when I went online, I couldnt find any information stating that hp was increased from '91 to '92.

BUT, I have 14U2NV's old GS computer, as well as the original ECU from my '92 GSR & both of them have knock boards.

Furthermore, when a standard 4g63 NA ECU is out in my car, it does not hold an idle after warming up.

I hope this hlps you in your search for a new block. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/smile.gif

-Shawn

misterfixit

4g61 lumps have a shorter block. 15mm or so from crank to head deck!

Be careful! 4g67 is the same height.

Rich

cOmpressor

Thanks everyone for the info. I found a 1g equipped with a 4g63 ( N/A of course ) and will pull it tomorrow. From everything I've heard the block and heads are the same as turbo minus the difference in pistons and cams, also squirters.

One more question, if the block is in good condition ( has 168,000 on the dash ) should I go the 2g style stock piston or over boar and get some wider ones? One more is should I just go all out and build a stroker? I plan to DD this thing and not much track time but in the long run will it be better to run 2.3l?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts