The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

HELP! Factory alarm won't shut off...and fuel pump issues.

CP

I was packing up my car at the track this afternoon, and somehow set off the factory alarm. I can't figure out how to turn it off now. I pulled the two connectors to the horn on the firewall. Then I heard some clicking. So I pulled the plug to the relay just below that horn. However there's another relay that's clicking and it flashing the headlights. So I pulled that relay too and drove the hour home.

How the hell do I reset the alarm? The hood switch has been pulled for two years now, and is one state away at my house, so I hope that's not it. Should I disconnect the battery. Is there a fuse under the dash that can be pulled?

Basically I'm going to need headlights at 5am tomorrow morning, and I think the alarm will be going off all night, even though all the relays have been pulled. I'm worried about a dead battery.

Someone please HELP me!

Last edited:

Rausch

i pulled the battery to reset the alarm. mine would go off once in a blue moon due to crappy door contacts. i pulled the door contact that was causing the problem, and stopped having the problem.
there was a write up on here recently about permanently disabling the alarm by grounding the wire at the module...green and white wire up past the relays under the dash drivers side???not sure about the wire color, but i know it on this site from not all that long ago...

atc250r

Staff member
I'm too lazy to read the links so I'll throw this out there. Unlocking either the driver's or passenger's door with the key should deactivate the alarm once its been "set off". I think opening the trunk with the key is supposed to do the same thing.

John

Rausch

i read that too, when i first had my issues with the alarm, and it didn't work for whatever reason....i dunno. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif maybe it has something to do with what set the alarm of...?

CP

It's fixed somehow. When I came back from dinner tonight and installed the two relays: no relay clicking. I did do some trunk opening with the key, as well as unlocking through an open window. At any rate, it's all set now, and I'm off for day #2 at Lime Rock tomorrow. I was kicking some ass today and have reached the limits of street tires /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

atc250r

Staff member
Quote:
i read that too, when i first had my issues with the alarm, and it didn't work for whatever reason....i dunno. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif maybe it has something to do with what set the alarm of...?

It shouldn't matter what set it off, the way that you shut it off is to put the key in the door and turn. Maybe you've got some other problems as well.

Glad to hear its OK now, Cy. Unlocking the door through an open window is a sure way to make the alarm go off.

John

Rausch

Quote:
It shouldn't matter what set it off, the way that you shut it off is to put the key in the door and turn. Maybe you've got some other problems as well.

for some reason that never worked for me. but i did have some issues with thte locking mechanism after that in the drivers door. last time it went off, i pulled the battery, after disconeccting the door switch from the pass. door. and it stoppped. if i hooked up the switch again, it would invariably set the alarm off, usually shortly after.

pretty sure there were other things going on at the time, and i'm not certain of exactly how the system works, but you're right, the key in the door should shut it down. at least htat was my understanding...stupid alarm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Nijasan

Quote:
It shouldn't matter what set it off, the way that you shut it off is to put the key in the door and turn.

If you look at the lock cylinder you'll see that the alarm part of it is held on by 15-16 year old 2mm thick plastic. That breaks if you sneeze.

The "put the key in the door and turn" method doesn't work most times from my experience.

CP

I'm home now, and the alarm issue solved itself after siting for a few hours. However I'm going to cut the wire under the dash that disables the alarm functions except for the light in the dash.

I had another issue in the pre-tech lane on Saturday morning at 7am. Bascially after you empty out your car, you go through pre-tech where they check your brake lights, wheel bearings, throttle linkage, helmet, and some other little things. The line of cars moves slowly during this process.

I started and shut off the car 3 times while moving forward in the line, and the last time it wouldn't restart. It almost caught once, sputtered a bit and then died. It would crank, but would not start. I grabbed my logger and didn't get any codes. I chose the fuel pump test and the relays would click, but the pump was dead. That was confirmed by the AFPR gauge while cranking the motor; it stayed at 0psi.

One of the tech guys suggested banging on the bottom of the fuel tank while turning the engine over, and it started, but I couldn't get a proper explanation of what was "fixed" by rapping on the tank. I've got the OEM Toyota Supra fuel pump (bought new) that's about 14 months old. What's the deal...a loose wire connection? Was something sticking in the pump assembly? Is something wrong with the pump itself, maybe the electric motor? This has never happened before, and it was fine for the rest of the day, being started and shut off roughly 10 different times. Do I need to drop another $200 on a fuel pump? I'm going to keep my stocker in the car from now on so I don't get stranded.

if pounding on the tank got it going again you have a burnt section in the motor windings. with the car running it should stay running but every time you shut it down there's going to be a chance of it stopping on the dead spot & the tank banging thing will only work so many times.

Time for a new pump bud.

steve

FWIW I had the same problem as Aaron where locking and unlocking the door with the key didnt make it stop. I had to unhook the battery for a minute. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/dunno.gif

lol why did you respond so late? Did you plan on just waiting 6 months before helping out.

steve

/ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif No it just happened this afternoon, a$$!!!!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned