The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Don't bid on this ECU

I noticed that a GVR-4 owner asked this guy if it will work in his car, so I just wanted to warn you, if its someone on here, that the ECU is NOT a turbo ECU. I can tell even by the horrible picture he posted that it is from a 2.0 liter non-turbo.
Non-turbo ECU

The seller has apparently pissed and poured doo-doo butter all over the ECU

Last edited by a moderator:

iLLeffeKt vr-4

I would stay away from that just from looking at his feedback score

mitsu90

why won't it work in a turbo'd car?? once you burn the eprom it wont know what it came out of only what it was burned for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

The seller is a SC GVR-4 owner, so he may be on this board. As I've tried to tell him, the board is missing several key pieces needed for a turbo car:
1) driver chips for the wastegate solenoid and MAS Reset
2) knock sensor board
3) wrong injector driver snubber resistors and capacitors

I tried to tell him he's going to have one pissed off buyer. For all I can tell, without a better picture or some part numbers, it may not even be an EPROM. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
I can buy those NT boards for $50 all day long, so its not a bargain either way.

mitsu90

Quote:
The seller is a SC GVR-4 owner, so he may be on this board. As I've tried to tell him, the board is missing several key pieces needed for a turbo car:
1) driver chips for the wastegate solenoid and MAS Reset
2) knock sensor board
3) wrong injector driver snubber resistors and capacitors

I tried to tell him he's going to have one pissed off buyer. For all I can tell, without a better picture or some part numbers, it may not even be an EPROM. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
I can buy those NT boards for $50 all day long, so its not a bargain either way.

damn they say you learn something new everyday.....well today I learned 2 new things,learned a better way to weld a part at work and that there is a difference between turbo and not turbo eproms. thanx for clarifying the differences /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

JB

Keydiver FTW!one

He doesn't want to hear about it:
"I don't know what all that stuff your talking about is. I took a
picture of the caps because that what other people do to show they are
not leaking. As for all the other stuff, chips, # on chips, I don't
know what all that means. I purchased this ecu several months ago off
ebay. It was listed for a 92 awd 5 speed turbo ecu. That is what I'm
selling it as, as that is what I know it to be. I pluged it into my
galant, and it works fine."
I'm just trying to save him from some more bad feedback. It really doesn't matter to me, except the buyer is going to be PISSED. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

curtis

Quote:
He doesn't want to hear about it:
"I don't know what all that stuff your talking about is. I took a
picture of the caps because that what other people do to show they are
not leaking. As for all the other stuff, chips, # on chips, I don't
know what all that means. I purchased this ecu several months ago off
ebay. It was listed for a 92 awd 5 speed turbo ecu. That is what I'm
selling it as, as that is what I know it to be. I pluged it into my
galant, and it works fine."
I'm just trying to save him from some more bad feedback. It really doesn't matter to me, except the buyer is going to be PISSED. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I guess he don't know your rep as one bad mamma jammer...If he's a member here ban him for life for trying to screw people. I bought it as a turbo ecu and thats what it is...... bullshit. You know now what it is so suck it up and take the hit. If your the seller ....you suck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

DR1665

f*** that. I hate thieves. The darkest corner of hell is reserved for thieves and cheating wives. I sent the winning bidder a message through Ebay with a link to this thread and suggested he read it before paying for that thing.

Bullshit.

He's still sending me emails. I don't think he's convinced:
"I just looked at it, it does have the eeprom chip in the lower corner
of the board like your picture showed. So it is a turbo."
He somehow thinks "EPROM" means "turbo". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
I was going to PM the buyer, but I figured I'd rather see him take the hit on his Feedback since he's being such a jerk.

This is why its so dangerous to by ECU's off eBay. Besides the moron I've been addressing above, there was another guy the other day who ended his ad title with "EPROM?". He had NO PICTURES of the inside of the unit, no picture of the lid label, and he even listed the part numbers from the label, but there was no "E" in there for "EPROM", as there would be if it *WAS* an EPROM. I think it had an "A" in it instead. But, I'm sure some poor, unsuspecting schmuck paid top dollar because he thought he was getting a great deal on an EPROM ECU. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
Then we have this ad:
non-EPROM with GFORCE mod
That is actually a NON-EPROM ECU that has been converted to an EPROM (~$700) by GFORCE. What the guy is NOT telling you is that the EPROM is proprietary, so you can't reprogram it, or even change to my chip. It will ONLY work with the decypher code built into their onboard processor. More money going to be wasted here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
This is another one I'd be highly suspicious of:
In a Colt case???
If it *really* is a DSM ECU, why is it in a Colt ECU case? And why don't the numbers match? If you Google the number, it comes up as an ECU for a 1.8 liter car! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
I swear some guys are deliberately misleading:
Bad pictures
They "accidently" put "EPROM" in the title, say they don't know "how that got there", and take pictures that will NOT show you whether its an "E" on the cover or not, and won't show you any inside pix. They hope to sucker someone into paying more than they should for it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
Please be careful boys and girls. Its a cruel ECU world out there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

speedyvr4

the guy with the ? mark on the eprom I asked him to email me a pic of the inside showing the eprom unit and he reponded by telling me it wasn't an eprom. the BAD pics link I did the same and he never responded but he did revise his description as keydiver stated. I basicly been looking at most of those posted and wasn't gonna place a bid till I saw some proof of the eprom.

toybreaker

iconoclast
E-prom, scmeeeprom, I can get a cavalier ecu to run your car,...sorta... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Caveat Emptor indeed! It's a bit of a jungle out there. One of the best things you can do is to research the part numbers here ( thanks, Steve /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif)

I'd rather pay a premium price for a premium piece, then troubleshoot a single cylinder miss, or other ecu related problem.

The electrolytic fluid that leaks from the caps does some really major damage to the components and traces on the board, and much of it is not visible. Capillary action will draw it under the surface mount components, and the acid will continue to cause problems long after the majority of the visible spooge is removed, and the caps replaced.

The potential range of problems with a cap and dash ecu "repair" is mind boggling. Everything from no starts, to flame-outs, and vexing intermittent misfires can be related to acid damage in the ecu, and some of these problems won't show untill months, or even years later.

If you start with a virgin board, and have a knowlegable technician replace the caps and/or socket the ecu, you're good to go. It is a small price to pay for never having another ecu related problem.

Last edited:

That's why I won't touch anything but a 1994 ECU anymore. Mitsu fixed the problem mid-year 1993, so all the 1994 ones are MINT. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts